Re: Is the Islamic Scripture (Kuran) really "peaceful"?

  • caroles@tm.net.my
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2001
      Dear MD,

      I notice your quotes are all from the Old Testament. There is one in
      the New Testament I find uniquely odious. Sorry, I don't have a
      bible handy to look it up, but it is what Jesus says when a disciple
      asks why he doesn't preach to the Philistines: "Why should I throw
      bread to the dogs when the children are starving."

      Each of the monotheistic religions has a book which is supposed to be
      inspired by God, one way or another. It seems to me that the problem
      is that they were all actually written by people. Even if those
      people were in direct contact with God (like Mohammad supposedly
      was), or if they were reporting the words and actions of other people
      (Abraham, Moses, etc.)similarly inspired, or if they were reporting
      on someone actually supposed to be God (Jesus), the writers were
      still human beings.

      Is it so far-fetched to think that even if the claims of divine
      inspiration actually were true, that the humans wielding the writing
      implements might have decided to "improve" on God's word, throwing in
      just a couple of things on their own personal agenda?

      That could go a long way toward explaining how, so often, religions
      which have many admirable qualities can, and do, go so terribly
      wrong.

      Remember, the gentlefolk of the American South used the Bible to
      support claims of white superiority that, in their view, made slavery
      perfectly acceptable, even desirable. The same good book has been
      used to justify hunting witches in Salem, heretics all over Europe,
      and to kill, abuse and enslave Native Americans on two continents.

      I don't know why the same documents which have brought comfort and
      enlightenment to many can also be used to justify some of the worst
      evil deeds people have ever done to each other. Here's a quote that
      does make sense to me: "Let he who is without sin cast the first
      stone." I think it would be very helpful if we all stopped the finger
      pointing and name calling. Lets try to find the things that join us,
      not those that separate us.