Re: Is the Islamic Scripture (Kuran) really "peaceful"?

  • MD
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30 8:04 PM
      The Bible has some interesting quotes too...

      If a man marries a woman and discovers she is not a virgin, she is to
      be
      stoned to death (Deut. 22:13)

      And if a man sell a dwelling house in a walled city, then he may
      redeem
      it within a whole year after it is sold; within a full year may he
      redeem
      it. (Leviticus 25:29)

      A stubborn or rebellious son shall be brought to the authorities and
      stoned to death (Deuteronomy 21:18-21)

      It is an abomination to trim the hair on one's temples or to trim
      one's
      beard (Lev. 19:28)

      Do not wear clothing of two kinds of material (Lev. 19:19 and Deut.
      22:11)

      Anything a woman touches during menstruation and for seven days
      thereafter
      is unclean (Lev. 12:6)

      Do not eat fat of ox, sheep or goats (Lev. 7.23)
      Do not eat rabbit (Lev. 11:6)
      Do not eat blood of fish, fowl or beast (Lev. 7:26)
      Do not eat ham, bacon, pork chops or ribs (Lev. 11:7)
      Do not eat lobster, crab, scallops or shrimp (Lev. 11:10 and Deut.
      14:19)

      Amos 5:21 - God hates his chosen ones

      Isiah 45:7 - God is evil

      "If a man find a damsel that is a virgin, which is not betrothed, and
      lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found, Then the man
      that lay with her shall give unto the damsel's father fifty shekels
      of silver.... (Deuteronomy 22:28,29)

      God is inside you. Not within the pages of any particular writings.
      There are hypocrites and weirdoe prepared to read and believe what
      they want when they want. There are fanatics everywhere and every
      religion has some craziness written or done in it's name. (I'll now
      be attacked by Christians in my own country; fundamentalist members
      of the Church of England will come round to my house and drink all of
      my tea.)
    • caroles@tm.net.my
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2001
        Dear MD,

        I notice your quotes are all from the Old Testament. There is one in
        the New Testament I find uniquely odious. Sorry, I don't have a
        bible handy to look it up, but it is what Jesus says when a disciple
        asks why he doesn't preach to the Philistines: "Why should I throw
        bread to the dogs when the children are starving."

        Each of the monotheistic religions has a book which is supposed to be
        inspired by God, one way or another. It seems to me that the problem
        is that they were all actually written by people. Even if those
        people were in direct contact with God (like Mohammad supposedly
        was), or if they were reporting the words and actions of other people
        (Abraham, Moses, etc.)similarly inspired, or if they were reporting
        on someone actually supposed to be God (Jesus), the writers were
        still human beings.

        Is it so far-fetched to think that even if the claims of divine
        inspiration actually were true, that the humans wielding the writing
        implements might have decided to "improve" on God's word, throwing in
        just a couple of things on their own personal agenda?

        That could go a long way toward explaining how, so often, religions
        which have many admirable qualities can, and do, go so terribly
        wrong.

        Remember, the gentlefolk of the American South used the Bible to
        support claims of white superiority that, in their view, made slavery
        perfectly acceptable, even desirable. The same good book has been
        used to justify hunting witches in Salem, heretics all over Europe,
        and to kill, abuse and enslave Native Americans on two continents.

        I don't know why the same documents which have brought comfort and
        enlightenment to many can also be used to justify some of the worst
        evil deeds people have ever done to each other. Here's a quote that
        does make sense to me: "Let he who is without sin cast the first
        stone." I think it would be very helpful if we all stopped the finger
        pointing and name calling. Lets try to find the things that join us,
        not those that separate us.