Interesting Thoughts

  • Timothy Wilken
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30 10:56 AM
      Mechanism, Chaos, and Creativity

      Arthur Noll

      "What we can do, and often do, is miss-measure what is happening. We
      think we have seen the pattern of how things work, and are wrong. It
      doesn’t mean that there isn’t a pattern, that there isn’t mechanism, it
      only means we haven’t seen it properly. Whenever a creature walks into
      a trap, this is what has happened. The mechanism of the trap has not
      been seen properly. What looks like a good thing, the bait, is actually
      a bad thing for the creature. The bait was not an easy bit of food for
      continued living. The smooth looking pathway ahead was not really safe
      passage to more food or shelter. There are unnoticed mechanisms
      actually there that will capture or kill.

      "It is the inability to see the mechanisms of things that lead a person
      to despairingly say that there is none. But blindness doesn’t mean that
      things don’t exist.

      "We see a pattern of movement sometimes, that we call chaos. We also
      see movements that we call orderly. We have an understanding of
      something we call creativity. What mechanism underlies these
      conditions?"

      Arthur Noll writes in response to Dee Hock's essay
      Understanding the Industrial Age which can be read here:
      http://solutions.synearth.net/2001/09/28
      You can read Arthur Noll's full Article here:
      http://solutions.synearth.net/2001/09/30

      Leader-Follower

      Dee Hock

      "Leader presumes follower. Follower presumes choice. One who is coerced
      to the purposes, objectives, or preferences of another is not a follower
      in any true sense of the word, but an object of manipulation. Nor is the
      relationship materially altered if both parties accept dominance and
      coercion. True leading and following presume perpetual liberty of both
      leader and follower to sever the relationship and pursue another path. A
      true leader cannot be bound to lead. A true follower cannot be bound to
      follow. The moment they are bound, they are no longer leader or
      follower. The terms leader and follower imply the freedom and
      independent judgment of both. If the behavior of either is compelled,
      whether by force, economic necessity, or contractual arrangement, the
      relationship is altered to one of superior/subordinate,
      management/employee, master/servant, or owner/slave. All such
      relationships are materially different than leader-follower.

      "Induced behavior is the essence of leader-follower. Compelled behavior
      is the essence of all the others. Where behavior is compelled, there
      lies tyranny, however benign. Mere behavior is induced, there lies
      leadership, however powerful. Leadership does not imply constructive,
      ethical, open conduct. It is entirely possible to induce destructive,
      malign, devious behavior and to do so by corrupt means. Therefore, a
      clear, meaningful purpose and compelling ethical principles evoked from
      all participants should be the essence of every relationship, and every
      institution."

      You can read Dee Hock's full essay here:
      http://futurepositive.synearth.net/stories/storyReader$173

      Community Requires Shared Values

      Timothy Wilken

      As much as the best of humans would like a world where we all win, that
      cannot happen without dealing with those humans that cling to the values
      of animals. Adversity is the law of nature that applys to the animal
      kingdom. Might makes right. Survival of the adversarily fittest. This is
      the lose-win world we live in today.

      In a Positive Future means and ends cannot be separated. You cannot kill
      innocents and accomplish anything good.

      The core of community is shared values. Tolerance can be one of those
      values you choose to share. As a synergist, I am happy to tolerate
      different behaviors, lifestyles, opinions, religious practices, etc..
      However when is comes to core beliefs, purpose, and principles these
      must be shared and held in common.

      Thousands of years ago the synergic way was discovered intuitively by
      Jesus of Nazareth. He gave us the rules in his sermon on the mount:

      “Love our enemies, do good to them that hate us, bless them
      that curse us, and pray for them that despitefully use us, I
      say unto you, that every one who is angry with his brother
      shall be in danger of the judgement. Go be reconciled with thy
      brother.”

      Jesus of Nazareth may have been the first human to embrace synergy. His
      words seem to capture the very essence of synergic morality. Synergic
      morality is more than not hurting other, it requires helping other.
      Jesus was the first human to state the fundamental law of synergic
      relationship. It is known as the Golden Rule:

      “So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to
      you, for this sums up the Law.”

      What would you have others do to you? The best one word answer I can
      find for this question is help.

      “Help others as you would have them help you.”

      Synergic Morality is helping. Andrew J. Galambos in his lectures
      describing “Moral Capitalism” often quoted the negative version of the
      Golden Rule:

      “Do not do to others what you would not have them do to you.”

      What would you not have others do to you? Here the best one word answer
      is hurt.

      “Do not hurt others as you would have them not hurt you.”

      This is where Galambos’ “Moral Capitalism” is incomplete. The negative
      version of the Golden Rule is just and right, but Synergic Morality
      requires more of us than simple not hurting. It requires more of us than
      simply ignoring others. It requires us to help others–to help each
      other.

      Jesus of Nazareth understood this on the deepest of levels. He did not
      call for simply a prohibition against hurting others. He called on us to
      help each other.

      Synergic Morality is more than the absence of hurting. It is the
      presence of helping.

      Read more of my writings here: http://www.synearth.net/
      OR http://futurepositive.synearth.net/
      OR http://solutions.synearth.net/