casting the first stone (on 9/11/01)

  • sberen2000@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 11, 2001
      In a message dated 12/11/01 11:46:46 AM Pacific Standard Time,
      suspiria@... writes:

      > Once again, we have to assume that the given guilty partner is the one and
      > only responsible and that official attacks, killing civilians and even
      > non-Afghans, are THE way to fight terrorism. I seriously doubt it, even if
      > it looks good on TV.
      >
      > It is obvious that Ben Laden is part of it, but is he all of it ?
      >
      > Is there really nothing between "sitting down and doing nothing" and
      > "bombing to oblivion whatever country someone points the finger to and
      > forget about collateral damage" ? Is thinking there might be something less
      > primary to undertake "judgemental" or "non-judgemental" ?
      >
      > T.

      Osama Bin Laden, the Taliban, and Al Qaeda are responsible for terrorism, but
      they are not the only guilty party. Bin Laden is part of it, but he is not
      all of it. The war against terrorism will be prolonged and difficult, and
      will involve more than just Bin Laden and Al Qaeda, of course.

      Military action is a major way to combat terrorism, but it is not the only
      way. Military action has to be combined with intelligence, diplomacy,
      financial, and other methods. But military action is key and vital.

      Yes, non-Afghans have been killed in the U.S.-led war against Afghanistan.
      It can be especially noted that Arabs (non-Afghan foreign invaders and
      usurpers) of Al Qaeda have been killed in Afghanistan. But is that
      surprising or inappropriate?

      I notice from your email address that you might be from France. When the
      Allied powers helped liberate France from Nazi domination in World War II,
      weren't many "non-French" killed? How could it be otherwise?

      It took military action of the Allied powers to defeat fascism in World War
      II, just as it took military action of the Union to defeat the slavocracy in
      the Civil War, and just as it took military action of the American colonists
      to defeat the British monarchy in 1776.

      The defeat of Hitler, Mussolini, and Imperial Japan did not "only make things
      worse and lead more people to support fascism." Quite the opposite
      (fortunately for the people of France).

      Instead of "bombing to oblivion whatever country someone points the finger to
      and forget about collateral damage," the United States is leading a war
      against Al Qaeda and the Taliban. The main goal is to prevent future
      terrorist attacks. An important side effect is the liberation of the Afghan
      people from the hypocritical, brutal, oppressive, violent, anti-woman Taliban
      leadership.

      Steve Beren
      Commissioner, ESSOM Spring League:
      http://members.aol.com/sberen2000/ESL2000.htm

      SOM Links Page:
      http://members.aol.com/sberen2000/ESSOM/links.htm

      America Unites! Voices of Hope (America Under Attack)
      http://members.aol.com/sberen2000/September11.htm
      http://members.aol.com/sberen2000/FREEDOM.htm