casting the first stone (on 9/11/01)

  • sberen2000@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 9, 2001
      Let's leave religion aside for the moment. Of course, it is not really
      possible to totally ignore religion and discuss the 9/11/01 terrorist attacks
      by an extreme minority faction of Islam. But let me comment on some of the
      same related issues from a political and moral and social viewpoint (rather
      than "religious" per se)....

      On September 11, 2001, Osama Bin Laden, Al Qaeda, and their accomplices
      viciously and deliberately attacked the people of the United States of
      America. It was a terrorist act, planned ahead of time, premeditated. It
      was one of the most appalling and evil acts of all time. Thousands of
      innocent people, of all faiths, races, etc., were slaughtered for no valid
      reason. The attack was unprovoked, the "first stone" was cast. The
      terrorists are prepared to throw the second, third, and fourth stones. Those
      additional "stones" might be biological, chemical, or nuclear in character.
      And the targets might be Los Angeles or London or Chicago or Paris or Seattle
      or Sydney or Bombay or San Francisco.

      I'm a Democrat and a Christian, and I have often been critical of U.S.
      foreign policy. But I feel, without reservation or hesitation, that the
      current U.S.-led war against terrorism to be completely necessary and
      justified.

      It is very important, in fact vital and essential, that we be appropriately
      and sharply judgmental regarding terrorism. We must identify and oppose and
      act against evil.

      I have received numerous emails and postings citing "judge not, lest ye be
      judged" and "let he who is without sin cast the first stone" as supposed
      arguments against taking action to prevent additional terrorist attacks.

      Some people who are not even Christians, who don't even pretend to care about
      serious Biblical interpretation, are so opposed to taking action against
      terrorism, and so intent on arguing against this necessary war, that they
      give the following false meaning to "judge not, lest ye be judged"....

      They would have you believe it means: "Never judge the behavior of anybody
      else; that way you yourself can avoid being judged by God."

      I find it amusing that people who are not usually concerned with the Bible
      quote "judge not, lest ye be judged" when they imagine it will help them
      argue in favor of the idea that we should not be judgmental of Osama Bin
      Laden and Al Qaeda.

      However, it is vital and necessary that we be judgmental. Leaving religion
      aside, it is vital and necessary from a moral and political and social and
      societal point of view to identify good, identify evil, and discern the di
      fference between the two.

      It has often been said that the problem is not so much the evil that people
      do, but rather the failure of good people to take action to combat evil.

      Steve Beren
      http://members.aol.com/sberen2000/September11.htm

      Steve Beren
      Commissioner, ESSOM Spring League:
      http://members.aol.com/sberen2000/ESL2000.htm

      SOM Links Page:
      http://members.aol.com/sberen2000/ESSOM/links.htm

      America Unites! Voices of Hope (America Under Attack)
      http://members.aol.com/sberen2000/September11.htm
      http://members.aol.com/sberen2000/FREEDOM.htm

    • sberen2000@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 11, 2001
        In a message dated 12/11/01 11:46:46 AM Pacific Standard Time,
        suspiria@... writes:

        > Once again, we have to assume that the given guilty partner is the one and
        > only responsible and that official attacks, killing civilians and even
        > non-Afghans, are THE way to fight terrorism. I seriously doubt it, even if
        > it looks good on TV.
        >
        > It is obvious that Ben Laden is part of it, but is he all of it ?
        >
        > Is there really nothing between "sitting down and doing nothing" and
        > "bombing to oblivion whatever country someone points the finger to and
        > forget about collateral damage" ? Is thinking there might be something less
        > primary to undertake "judgemental" or "non-judgemental" ?
        >
        > T.

        Osama Bin Laden, the Taliban, and Al Qaeda are responsible for terrorism, but
        they are not the only guilty party. Bin Laden is part of it, but he is not
        all of it. The war against terrorism will be prolonged and difficult, and
        will involve more than just Bin Laden and Al Qaeda, of course.

        Military action is a major way to combat terrorism, but it is not the only
        way. Military action has to be combined with intelligence, diplomacy,
        financial, and other methods. But military action is key and vital.

        Yes, non-Afghans have been killed in the U.S.-led war against Afghanistan.
        It can be especially noted that Arabs (non-Afghan foreign invaders and
        usurpers) of Al Qaeda have been killed in Afghanistan. But is that
        surprising or inappropriate?

        I notice from your email address that you might be from France. When the
        Allied powers helped liberate France from Nazi domination in World War II,
        weren't many "non-French" killed? How could it be otherwise?

        It took military action of the Allied powers to defeat fascism in World War
        II, just as it took military action of the Union to defeat the slavocracy in
        the Civil War, and just as it took military action of the American colonists
        to defeat the British monarchy in 1776.

        The defeat of Hitler, Mussolini, and Imperial Japan did not "only make things
        worse and lead more people to support fascism." Quite the opposite
        (fortunately for the people of France).

        Instead of "bombing to oblivion whatever country someone points the finger to
        and forget about collateral damage," the United States is leading a war
        against Al Qaeda and the Taliban. The main goal is to prevent future
        terrorist attacks. An important side effect is the liberation of the Afghan
        people from the hypocritical, brutal, oppressive, violent, anti-woman Taliban
        leadership.