CAT Problems with Yaesu FT-817 and Z817 ATU v0.95 r3243

  • Gary
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 30, 2013
      All works OK with r3243 and the FT-817 until I tune using the Z817 ATU.

      WSJT-X then locks up, giving a (Not Responding) message in the window title bar and showing a constant 'hour glass' pointer.

      I had problems with the previous '2-way' CAT version of WSJT-X where the program became 'jerky' and slow to respond.

      Other than the tune issue, the FT-817 seems to accept all the CAT commands, changing frequency correctly, showing the red square 'connected' symbol, transmitting OK (via SignaLink USB).

      Deselecting CAT from the setup allows tuning using the ATU, but obviously there is no frequency setup from WSJT-X

      73
      Gary
      G0DNI
    • Gary
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 30, 2013
        Further update with regard to the FT-817 and CAT control.

        No matter if I have Data or Mic selected in the WSJT-X CAT settings, WSJT-X is setting my FT-817 to USB (from DIG). This is repeatable.

        Example 1:

        - Radio is on and set to 14.0878 DIG

        - WSJT-X is run (with CAT enabled) and as it starts, it changes the radio from DIG to USB

        Example 2:

        - Radio is on and set to 14.0878 DIG

        - Open WSJT-X Settings > Station and 'untick' Enable CAT and click OK

        (I can now tune using the Z817 ATU without WSJT-X locking up)

        - Open WSJT-X Settings > Station and 'tick' Enable CAT and click OK

        - When OK is clicked, radio mode changes from DIG to USB
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 30, 2013
          Hi Gary,

          G0DNI wrote:
          > Further update with regard to the FT-817 and CAT control.
          > No matter if I have Data or Mic selected in the WSJT-X CAT settings,
          > WSJT-X is setting my FT-817 to USB (from DIG). This is repeatable.

          The "Data / Mic" choice is not intended to control the radio's mode
          setting. It controls the type of PTT command sent to the radio, if PTT
          via CAT control has been selected.

          Although it was inserted in response to a user request, it seems that
          having WSJT-X set the radio to USB mode is often a bad idea. Probably
          we'll remove it, at least for now, and leave this setting up to the
          operator.

          -- 73, Joe, K1JT
        • Gary
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 30, 2013
            Joe,

            Many thanks for your quick reply. Having fantastic fun with this latest version of WSJT-X and appreciate how difficult it is to iron out all the bugs, particularly with something like CAT control - oh for a common radio standard :-)

            I know that you would like to have all the functions working, but I don't really use the 'radio to WSJT-X' functions, however the WSJT-X to radio is fairly essential to me as a 'band hopper'. I wonder if it is worth having a user selectable option for one-way or 2-way CAT data? I didn't have any problems with the FT-817 with one-way CAT.

            Keep up the good work Joe!

            73
            Gary
            G0DNI
          • Joe Subich, W4TV
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 30, 2013
              Gary,

              I have passed this analysis on to K1JT ...

              > All works OK with r3243 and the FT-817 until I tune using the Z817
              > ATU.
              >
              > WSJT-X then locks up, giving a (Not Responding) message in the window
              > title bar and showing a constant 'hour glass' pointer.

              The Z817 and similar auto-tuners with CAT pass through essentially
              disconnect the CAT line from the computer while tuning. WSJT-X is
              currently polling once a second and it suddenly finds polls being
              ignored. This results in the hang you see due to a "wait forever"
              condition in the software.

              There are *two* serious bugs in the WSJT-X r3243 CAT routine:
              1) a "hang" due to the "wait forever" situation when CAT is lost.
              Even *one* missing response is enough to trigger this problem
              and happens with external tuners, response delays during band
              change with the K3, and in certain Ten-Tec/Kenwood rigs that
              stop responding to the computer when tuning or when menu functions
              are selected.
              2) the "Runtime error" due to corrupted data on the CAT line.
              This is most often associated with Icom transceivers in which
              CI-V Transceive is turned on - it occurs when WSJT-X polls at
              the same time as the user is tuning the VFO. However, the
              problem can also manifest with Kenwood, Yaesu (new rigs) or
              Elecraft with the "AI" parameter enabled as well as situations
              in which the user is running multiple "control" programs (e.g.,
              WSJT-X and a logger) using one of the "serial splitter" utilities
              like Eltima Serial Splitter or Eterlogic's VSPE.

              73,

              ... Joe, W4TV

              On 4/30/2013 3:08 AM, Gary wrote:
              > All works OK with r3243 and the FT-817 until I tune using the Z817
              > ATU.
              >
              > WSJT-X then locks up, giving a (Not Responding) message in the window
              > title bar and showing a constant 'hour glass' pointer.
              >
              > I had problems with the previous '2-way' CAT version of WSJT-X where
              > the program became 'jerky' and slow to respond.
              >
              > Other than the tune issue, the FT-817 seems to accept all the CAT
              > commands, changing frequency correctly, showing the red square
              > 'connected' symbol, transmitting OK (via SignaLink USB).
              >
              > Deselecting CAT from the setup allows tuning using the ATU, but
              > obviously there is no frequency setup from WSJT-X
              >
              > 73 Gary G0DNI

            • Ed Wilson
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 30, 2013
                Joe,

                Thanks for including the TX=RX and RX=TX buttons in the latest release.

                Would it be possible to have an option to make TX=RX "stick"?

                I sometimes forget to hold down the control key when I am looking for a clear spot on the waterfall and thus my transmitter frequency is not the same as my new receive frequency. For me, at least, it would be efficient to have just a single click move both the transmit and receive frequencies. This certainly could be an option because some people probably like it just the way it currently is configured.

                Ed, K0KC
              • Gary
                Message 7 of 7 , May 1, 2013
                  This "set radio to USB" 'feature' is really starting to bug me now :-0

                  How many times have I double clicked on a CQ, heard the radio click into Tx, looked at the meter to check the ALC - any found that I'm not transmitting any data as the rig has gone from DIG to USB - aghhh!

                  73
                  Gary
                  G0DNI