WSJT-X Crashing - Update

  • Doc
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 21 11:11 AM
      Just happened again with no warning & no error message. This time, when I restarted it I noticed the following:

      1. Band had changed from 20M to 30M
      2. On the graph, frequency changed from 1500 hZ to 1200 hZ
      3. Audio slider level changed from mid-point to almost minimum.

      Happened again this time after program had run several hours and several QSOs made during that time. There was no QSO or call in progress prior to this crash.

      Don't know if this will help pinpoint a cause, but presented just in case it helps.

      73
      Doc
      KB3MOW
    • Dave 'Doc' Corio
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 28, 2013
        While I haven't solved the crashing problem I had with vers. 3590,
        I have eliminated it by reverting to vers. 3496.

        Briefly, 3590 would crash often, when changing frequency or band,
        either by selecting a new freq/band or replying to a call on a different
        frequency.

        So far, in three days, I have been unable to make the program crash
        at all, where with vers. 3590, it would crash several times in a single
        hour.

        While I miss some of the enhancements from 3590 (outbound audio
        level control, more palettes) it's nice to have a stable platform to
        operate from. Hopefully the next version of WSJT-X will be as stable!

        Tnx to all for suggestions
        Happy New Year
        Doc
        KB3MOW

        ---
      • Bob McCormick
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 29, 2013
          Dave 'Doc' Corio wrote:

          > While I haven't solved the crashing problem I had with vers. 3590,
          > I have eliminated it by reverting to vers. 3496.
          >
          > Briefly, 3590 would crash often, when changing frequency or band,
          > either by selecting a new freq/band or replying to a call on a different
          > frequency.

          Tail ending your post ... my first efforts with WSJT-X (I come from the EME
          side of life and just this weekend for the first time on HF).

          Using v1.2.1 r3590 and noticed similar behaviour: the program crashed a few
          times when I changed bands and once when I turned the radio off.

          Additionally - I had a bout of about 15 minutes where during / after each
          decode the program would crash. I debugging I did things like:
          - turned off psk reporting
          - turned off dxcc lookup
          but the problem prevailed. Eventually it stopped doing it - so I can only
          suppose that there was something someone was transmitting that was causing
          the issue. (this was a little while ago on 40m)

          Bob W1QA
        • Dave 'Doc' Corio
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 30, 2013
                Very similar, Bob, but have to say that mine never crashed during a QSO. It might crash before I was able to respond to a CQ (as it changed frequency) but never other than that.

                It appears to be something in the CAT area, I've discovered. I switched over to using DXLabs Commander to control the rig and since that have not had any crashes in over 24 hours - a new record hi hi!!

            Tnx, 73, es Happy New Year!
            Doc
            KB3MOW

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 2, 2014
              Hi all,

              From KB3MOW and W1QA:
              >> Briefly, r3590 would crash often, when changing frequency or band,
              >> either by selecting a new freq/band or replying to a call on a different
              >> frequency.
              >
              > Tail ending your post ... my first efforts with WSJT-X (I come from the EME
              > side of life and just this weekend for the first time on HF).
              >
              > Using v1.2.1 r3590 and noticed similar behaviour: the program crashed a few
              > times when I changed bands and once when I turned the radio off.

              We (the WSJT development team) would like to make the WSJT-X v1.2.1 beta
              release (r3590) into a full release some time soon. For obvious
              reasons, we'd like to diagnose and correct any unstable program behavior
              first.

              Unfortunately, none of us is observing the program crashes you describe,
              so this makes diagnosis difficult.

              It appears that at least one of the stability issues has to do with CAT
              control and arises when changing frequency or band. I can't seem to
              generate such an error with my setup (TS-2000 radio, either direct
              control or through Commander). So it may be a rig-dependent issue.

              If you can generate program misbehavior at will, please let us know jow
              to do it, and what your setup is.

              If you have another program stability issue, perhaps not obviously
              related to CAT control, please tell us about that also. Messages to
              this group are OK, but off-list email is OK too.

              With best wishes for the New Year,

              -- 73, Joe, K1JT
            • k3wyc
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 3, 2014

                Joe,

                I'm still using r3496.  It has an issue that may perhaps be related to the crash in later versions.

                In r3496, if the TX cursor is moved after TX has started, then CAT disconnects.  This will happen if say you had intended to call CQ then, after TX has started, you decided to respond to another station by clicking their decode.

                Other issues in r3496 that show programming errors but do no induces crashes are:

                Tune tone is often on the wrong freq, e,g over 3k when split is active.  This is fixed by a brief JT9 or JT65 TX.

                The start of a JT9 or JT65 TX is sometimes on the wrong freq.  If you listen to the TX signal you will sometimes hear a large frequency shift within the first second of transmission.  This also shows on my Spectrum Lab monitor of TX audio which shows the initial tone sometimes well outside the 1k-2k range expected for split in r3496.

                Both of the above suggest that the TX frequency is not being properly refreshed and is different from the TX cursor position until after a JT9 or JT65 transmission is started.

                73,

                Andy k3wyc

              • KQ8M
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 3, 2014

                  I am using 3590 and although I am not seeing the CAT issue as previously mentioned, I do have the program just shut down without warning at any time. Normally this happens after the app has been running for a long period of time. This is definitely one of those nearly impossible things to find and fix. I also have noticed lately that if the app sits and is not used but running for a long period of time the mode changes from JT9 to JT65.

                  73,

                  Tim Herrick, KQ8M

                  Charter Member North Coast Contesters

                  kq8m@...