RE: [wsjtgroup] RH 4/3 Modes

  • Randy Tipton
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 5 7:16 PM

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Randy Tipton [mailto:wa5ufh@...]
      Sent: Monday, April 05, 2004 7:30 PM
      To: wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [wsjtgroup] RH 4/3 Modes

      Thanks Catharinus… Snip It would appear to me that NA stations at some point will have to move away
      from ST/SH messages as the (default) messages 3,4 & 5 do not have any
      indication as to their origin or destination.  Once you guys finally get
      the activity going which you would like, you will get very confusing
      situations on a calling frequency....  (END of PASTE)

      You are right about the ST/SH messages on the recognized call frequencies and I believe we are at that point now!

      Most stations are reframing from the use of this type message on the call frequencies of 50.260 and 144.140MHz

      now.

      You asked “How reliable do you want the info received to be?” I think we all strive for 100% and WSJT can provide that

      when the meteors are there but when ST & SH messages are being used on “Call Frequencies” there is doubt.

      For the NA Activity Periods (i.e. Random Hours) all uses of Short Hand Messages and Single Tones are discouraged for the reasons

      that you have stated. In my humble opinion, we are at that point you have mentioned but this will continue to be an educational problem

      because of the large influx of new operators. (This is a good problem to have!)

      Tip