WSJT-X Feature Request

  • m6fun
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 10, 2013
      Hi Joe and all,

      Now that we have QSO distance shown on the main screen I wondered if it would be possible/desirable to add an indication of
      'miles per watt' having entered our power output somewhere (or can this be read via cat command?)
      Maybe even upload the data to a 'miles per watt' league table?

      I think it would encourage lower powers and would give us something interesting to aim for.

      Thanks for a really great mode!

      73
      Phil M6FUN
    • g4ilo
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 10, 2013
        I think what will encourage people to use lower power is when signal reports are displayed on Hamspots.

        Julian, G4ILO

        --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "m6fun" <philhawksey@...> wrote:

        > Hi Joe and all,
        >
        > Now that we have QSO distance shown on the main screen I wondered if it would be possible/desirable to add an indication of
        > 'miles per watt' having entered our power output somewhere (or can this be read via cat command?)
        > Maybe even upload the data to a 'miles per watt' league table?
        >
        > I think it would encourage lower powers and would give us something interesting to aim for.
        >
        > Thanks for a really great mode!
        >
        > 73
        > Phil M6FUN

      • Joe Subich, W4TV
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 10, 2013
          > I think what will encourage people to use lower power is when
          > signal reports are displayed on Hamspots.

          I think that's absurd - signal reports are far more tied to distance
          and conditions than power. Even at 1W I will be +40 in my neighbor's
          receiver but I'm certainly not going to run "low power" if P5, XZ,
          BV9, BS6, etc. show up on JT9.

          There may be those 2W to a 6 element yagi at 100 feet stations who do
          not need power but when calls to -10 and -15 stations go unanswered,
          it's a clear indication that 70 watts to a multi-band vertical may
          still not be "excessive power".

          73,

          ... Joe, W4TV

          On 4/10/2013 12:15 PM, g4ilo wrote:
          > I think what will encourage people to use lower power is when signal reports are displayed on Hamspots.
          >
          > Julian, G4ILO
          >
          > --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "m6fun" <philhawksey@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> Hi Joe and all,
          >>
          >> Now that we have QSO distance shown on the main screen I wondered if it would be possible/desirable to add an indication of
          >> 'miles per watt' having entered our power output somewhere (or can this be read via cat command?)
          >> Maybe even upload the data to a 'miles per watt' league table?
          >>
          >> I think it would encourage lower powers and would give us something interesting to aim for.
          >>
          >> Thanks for a really great mode!
          >>
          >> 73
          >> Phil M6FUN

          > WSJTGroup HomePage http://www.meteorscatter.org/
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • pe1lif
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 10, 2013
            Good idea, and add this as a comment in the log, e.g. "5 watt, 2145 miles (or km) per watt".

            73, Marinus PE1LIF

            --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "m6fun" <philhawksey@...> wrote:

            > Hi Joe and all,
            >
            > Now that we have QSO distance shown on the main screen I wondered if it would be possible/desirable to add an indication of
            > 'miles per watt' having entered our power output somewhere (or can this be read via cat command?)
            > Maybe even upload the data to a 'miles per watt' league table?
            >
            > I think it would encourage lower powers and would give us something interesting to aim for.
            >
            > Thanks for a really great mode!
            >
            > 73
            > Phil M6FUN

          • g4ilo
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 10, 2013
              It's no more ridiculous than the "miles per watt" suggestion. If people know how they are being received and that everyone else can see it as well it *may* encourage them to use less power. Having said that I haven't noticed any tendency for stations to reduce power after receiving a >+10 report from me. I think strong signals are something we are going to have to live with as JT9 gets more popular.

              Julian, G4ILO