K5N-EL58 Grid Activation

  • Danny Cristina
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 8 7:27 PM
      K5N Group Rolls Again....and yes, it is Dayton weekend, but sorry, the grid
      chase must go on..

      The K5N Grid Activation Group would like to announce its May grid activation
      to EL58, Southwest Pass, Louisiana.

      We will be arriving May 17th and setting up, for a noon start, working Es
      and MS as band permits through May 20th.
      Our group this outing will consist of; Bill-K5YG, Bob-WN2E, Danny-N5OMG, and
      Daniel-KE5KDM.
      And, as a celebrity operator, Joey-W5TFW will be along for this trip...
      Please note that we may have no internet, so please pass along spots to
      others as you can!

      Unfortunately, Marshall-K5QE and Bill-N5YA are sitting this one out due to
      prior commitments.

      Our frequencies will be:

      Es SSB and/or CW: 50.150mc
      Meteor Scatter: 50.265mc K5N always first sequence.

      As with all the great work he does for our group, JD-N0IRS will have the web
      page updated with scouting and operation videos/pics.
      Our QSL's will be via Joey-W5TFW, and of course SASE ARE required...
      Any questions or requests, please contact us at: k5n@...

      Good luck to everyone, and we look forward to working all those who need
      EL58.

      Best 73 from the K5N Group,
      Danny-N5OMG
    • Danny Cristina
      Message 2 of 6 , May 3, 2013
        K5N Update...

        Scouting trip was a success.!!

        Operating site has been located and determined to be high and dry...so we're
        a GO..

        Here is the original announcement as a reminder...hope to work everyone that
        needs the grid...

        ***********ORIGINAL ANNOUNCEMENT************

[...]

      • Jerry
        Message 3 of 6 , May 6, 2013
          My City is in the process of converting our street lights to the LED
          versions..(a few have complained of the Bright Lights shining into their
          homes already !) Anyone have any 'Noise Problems' associated with these
          lights on the VHF/UHF Bands ? Don't need any more QRN that's for sure !
          Jerry
          VE6CPP
          DN39or
        • Danny Cristina
          Message 4 of 6 , May 13, 2013
            K5N Update...

            Scouting trip is over...

            T-Minus 4 days and counting..!!

            We should be operational on Friday, May 17th around lunch time.
            If internet is active, we will be on packet cluster, ping jockey during MS
            times, and maybe ON4KST 6m Chat..

            Message 5 of 6 , May 16, 2013
              Final Update:

              We are loaded up, both boats ready, and driving South at 7:00am tomorrow
              morning.
              Hopefully if the band cooperates, we will be on 50.125mc during the drive
              down through EL59...

              Good luck to all and hope to hear you on the band this weekend..

              K5N Group
              EL58, Southwest Pass, La.
              50.150mc SSB/CW 50.265mc MS
            • Danny Cristina
              Message 6 of 6 , May 20, 2013
                ****K5N QRT****

                Thanks for all the support. We have all made it home, safe and sound.
                Some stats for the trip:

                We made 293 contacts.
                We worked 113 different grids.
                We worked 18 Dx Stations.
                We worked 49 stations on meteor scatter.
                And, we worked 39 different states.

                Not a bad outing, especially since the fishing was great, the weather was
                fantastic, and the
                grid expedition was a huge success....!!

                Be sure to QSL via W5TFW, and SASE is required...

                Lastly, our group would like to thank all those who donated to our
                expeditions..
                We all know how much it can cost, and we never ask for anything, but for
                those who helped...THANK YOU..!!!

                Until the next expedition...

                For Bill-K5YG, Bob-WN2E, Daniel-KE5KDM, and myself, Danny-N5OMG,...73
                K5N Group
                EL58, Southwest Pass, La.
                50.150mc SSB/CW 50.265mc MS