"Shadow" traces in WSPR-X

  • g4ilo
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 5, 2013
      I have noticed that whenever I receive a very strong signal, stronger than +0dB, it is usually accompanied by weaker shadow traces exactly plus or minus 100Hz. These traces are fully decodable. Sometimes I have seen weaker traces +/-200Hz as well.

      For example I am seeing a station now that is +16dB. There are traces 100Hz above and below the bright trace that are -21dB and -24dB.

      Do others see this or is it a problem at my end? Rig is a K3 and I am using the on-board Realtek sound card.

      Julian, G4ILO
    • Laurie, VK3AMA
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 5, 2013
        Julian,

        I have seen this many times, usually with the closer (and stronger) VKs.
        One Station in particular results in 8 decodes even when I have the yagi
        pointed away from him.
        I have coded JT-Alert-X to only alert on the primary signal and send the
        highest dB report to HamSpots ignoring the lower level images.

        de Laurie VK3AMA

        On 5/04/2013 8:45 PM, g4ilo wrote:
        > I have noticed that whenever I receive a very strong signal, stronger than +0dB, it is usually accompanied by weaker shadow traces exactly plus or minus 100Hz. These traces are fully decodable. Sometimes I have seen weaker traces +/-200Hz as well.
        >
        > For example I am seeing a station now that is +16dB. There are traces 100Hz above and below the bright trace that are -21dB and -24dB.
        >
        > Do others see this or is it a problem at my end? Rig is a K3 and I am using the on-board Realtek sound card.
        >
        > Julian, G4ILO

      • John Hart
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 5, 2013
          Hi Laurie,

              Is JT-Alert-X available to the masses yet, or are you still in development?

              John  NA2NY