WSJT-X Transmit Audio Issue

  • k8dio1
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2013
      I just loaded WSJT-X R3113 on my Dell Optiplex 755. When in transmit, the tone is broken up. It almost sounds like a CW signal! The audio is fine when I use JT65-HF or WSJT JT65. So, the audio chain seems to be okay. Any ideas would be appreciated.

      Lloyd K8DIO
    • g4ilo
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 4, 2013
        Sounds like buffer underruns to me. It sounds like the same problem as Tim G4VXE mentioned to me. I don't think he found a fix for it.

        Is there stuff running in the background that could be hogging the CPU and preventing WSJT-X from keeping the soundcard supplied with data?

        If you are using a USB soundcard are there other USB devices that are busy?

        Julian, G4ILO

        --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "k8dio1" <lloydk8dio@...> wrote:

        > I just loaded WSJT-X R3113 on my Dell Optiplex 755. When in transmit, the tone is broken up. It almost sounds like a CW signal! The audio is fine when I use JT65-HF or WSJT JT65. So, the audio chain seems to be okay. Any ideas would be appreciated.
        >
        > Lloyd K8DIO

      • Larry Mundinger
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 4, 2013
          On 04/01/2013 10:18 PM, k8dio1 wrote:
          > I just loaded WSJT-X R3113 on my Dell Optiplex 755. When in transmit, the tone is broken up.
          I just loaded WSJTX onto my old Toshiba laptop and found that the output
          audio had dropouts. This persisted after I ran an optimization program
          to reduce load on the CPU. Finally I switched to a little USB sound
          card (Syba SD-CM-UAUD USB Stereo Audio Adapter) and the problem was gone
          and I worked a couple of stations last night.

          I use a homebrew interface. The people using the SignaLink USB probably
          don't encounter this problem. Perhaps the Toshiba onboard sound is like
          the old Winmodem that depended on the CPU for most of the work. In any
          case, the USB sound cards are available on Amazon for less than $10 so
          you might try that.

          Larry, KG4Q
        • g4ilo
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 5, 2013
            Lloyd, K8DIO posted a solution he found but it never appeared in the group, so he sent it to me as a contributor to the thread.

            The solution was to select DirectX for the audio output setting.

            I sent it to a friend who had been having stuttering audio and it solved the problem.

            Julian, G4ILO