WSJT-X v0.8 r3113

    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 27, 2013
      A release with several minor changes and a bug fix has been posted at a
      link on this page:

      http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjt.html

      Revision 3113 of WSJT-X fixes a bug with T/R switching when the user has
      requested VOX control.

      Potentially useful error messages will now appear when CAT control has
      failed. If you experience rig-control problems, a good place to go for
      help is wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com .

      The DXcall and DXgrid boxes are now cleared after logging a QSO, and the
      LogQSO confirmation screen has been tidied up.

      -- 73, Joe, K1JT
    • Franco
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 27, 2013
        --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, Joe Taylor <joe@...> wrote:

        > A release with several minor changes and a bug fix has been posted at a
        > link on this page:

        On Ubuntu 12.04, and using SVN for getting source, it compile OK but, at runtime, after receiving a signal and decoding it, I get a crash and this message:

        At line 1 of file stdmsg.f90
        Fortran runtime error: Actual string length is shorter than the declared one for dummy argument 'msg0' (-1081918152/22)

        In ALL.TXT file decoded message is correctly saved

        Regards

        Franco Spinelli
        IW2DHW
      • pe1lif
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 27, 2013
          "VOX" fix confirmed.

          73, Marinus PE1LIF
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 27, 2013
            Hi Franco,

            Thanks for the useful report. Please try revision 3114 from the SVN
            repository. I think it should fix the problem you found.

            -- Joe, K1JT

            On 3/27/2013 4:37 PM, Franco wrote:

            > --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, Joe Taylor<joe@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> A release with several minor changes and a bug fix has been posted at a
            >> link on this page:
            >
            > On Ubuntu 12.04, and using SVN for getting source, it compile OK but, at runtime, after receiving a signal and decoding it, I get a crash and this message:
            >
            > At line 1 of file stdmsg.f90
            > Fortran runtime error: Actual string length is shorter than the declared one for dummy argument 'msg0' (-1081918152/22)
            >
            > In ALL.TXT file decoded message is correctly saved
            >
            > Regards
            >
            > Franco Spinelli
            > IW2DHW

            > WSJTGroup HomePage http://www.meteorscatter.org/
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Franco Spinelli
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 27, 2013
              Il 27/03/2013 21:50, Joe Taylor ha scritto:
              > Hi Franco,
              >
              > Thanks for the useful report. Please try revision 3114 from the SVN
              > repository. I think it should fix the problem you found.

              It solve the problem.

              Now I have my first JT9 signal decoded in Linux!

              I will do some more test in RX mode before to test TX mode and CAT control

              Regards

              Franco Spinelli
              IW2DHW
            • Larry Bryan
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 27, 2013
                All due respect here Joe, exactly what the CAT is supposed to do is not well documented. I use CAT for lots of programs. Are you just controlling the PTT with CAT? Is the frequency display supposed to track the radio. I have documented that there is no CAT handshake when I set up for my Kenwood TS-480HX. I also provided the settings,  COM10, 38400, 8 None and 1. Also found CAT in the PTT drop down menu. I have to assume that this is "only" for controlling PTT via CAT since there is a CAT enable box in the section below.

                If we could get some sense of how the programmers expect CAT to function it would be helpful for us operators to provide more detailed information.

                Also, I have experienced clicking on the "Enable tx" button well into the current minute cycle only to have the transmitter key up. My intention was to wait until the next odd/even cycle since I was too late in the current one. I'm not sure exactly how long into the current minute it will still key up, but it seems like 20 seconds or so. Should this be tightened up?

                Using: Windows 7 Pro 32 bit

                Larry
                W8LIG

                On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 4:27 PM, Joe Taylor <joe@...> wrote:

                A release with several minor changes and a bug fix has been posted at a
                link on this page:

                http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjt.html

                Revision 3113 of WSJT-X fixes a bug with T/R switching when the user has
                requested VOX control.

                Potentially useful error messages will now appear when CAT control has
                failed. If you experience rig-control problems, a good place to go for
                help is wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com .

                The DXcall and DXgrid boxes are now cleared after logging a QSO, and the
                LogQSO confirmation screen has been tidied up.

                Larry
                W8LIG/NNN0VBG
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 27, 2013
                  Thanks for confirming this bug fix, Marinus!

                  On 3/27/2013 4:41 PM, pe1lif wrote:
                  > "VOX" fix confirmed.
                  >
                  > 73, Marinus PE1LIF
                • Tony VK2AJF
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 27, 2013
                    Thanks Joe. The VOX is now working fine (Signalink interface, IC-706IIG & IC-746, Netbook with Win 7 Starter). CAT control is also fine. Thank you for the nice improvements. And it's great fun to use!

                    Cheers,

                    Tony VK2AJF
                    Castle Hill,
                    Sydney.

                    --
                    Sent from Gmail Mobile
                  • Ed Wilson
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 28, 2013
                      Joe,

                      Thank you (and your team) for this latest update of WSJT-X! The software is really moving in a good direction! I used the latest version to make about seven JT9-1 contacts last night.

                      I have a few (minor) suggestions that I would like to throw out for consideration:
                      • Would it make sense to clear-out the DXcall and DXgrid boxes and "Generate Standard Messages" after the user clicks on Erase? I personally prefer to clear the message screen after I make a contact and it kind of "bugs" me to see the old call sign and grid in the two boxes as well being part of the standard messages stick around. I guess the disadvantage here would be that logging information would be lost, but one should not "Erase" if he or she has not logged the contact.

                      • Could the "CQ" standard message (TX6) be the default after a "Generate Standard Messages"? As a user monitors the band, he or she will likely either decide to call CQ or double-click on someone else's CQ which would cause the message to be TX1 (with the other station's call sign inserted) anyway. Having the default go to TX6 would save a mouse click...I guess I am getting lazy!

                      • Under the Help menu in "About WSJTX", "About MAP65" shows in the upper left corner rather than "About WSJTX".

                      • How about an option to have the distance to the DX station displayed in miles or kilometers?

                      • Would it be possible to add a "Tune" button? Since the CAT control can now change the transceiver bands, those of us who have antenna tuners often need to either automatically or manually make adjustments when switching bands. For those transceivers that have a tune mode and corresponding CAT command, it would be great if that command were invoked when this proposed "Tune" button was selected so that the tuning could be done at low power.
                      CAT control seems to be working fine here with my Flex-5000, although I chose to set my Flex-5000 to respond to the Kenwood TS-2000 CAT command set. I did not test the setting for the Flex SDR-1000 (not many of those around any more).

                      Thanks again,

                      Ed, K0KC

                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 28, 2013
                        Joe,

                        I have one more suggestion:
                        • The box at the lower right is labelled "Last TX" which implies (to me, at least) "Last Transmission" when, in fact, it is actually the last TX radio button pushed. If this feature could be modified to actually show the last transmission, it would be more useful for those of us who sometimes "get lost" in the sequence of transmissions and/or who are too "quick on the draw" with the radio buttons.
                        Thanks,

                        Ed, K0KC

                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 28, 2013
                          Hello Joe and others,

                          Could we have a selection box for Print Message line (decoded and not decoded results } if sync > 0 " ?

                          73 Rein W6SZ
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 28, 2013
                            Hi Ed,

                            Thanks for your suggestions for enhancements to WSJT-X. A few comments
                            in response:

                            > * Would it make sense to clear-out the DXcall and DXgrid boxes and "Generate Standard Messages" after the user clicks on Erase? I personally prefer to clear the message screen after I make a contact and it kind of "bugs" me to see the old call sign and grid in the two boxes as well being part of the standard messages stick around. I guess the disadvantage here would be that logging information would be lost, but one should not "Erase" if he or she has not logged the contact.

                            Starting with revision 3113 the DXcall and Dxgrid boxes are cleared
                            after logging a QSO.

                            > * Could the "CQ" standard message (TX6) be the default after a "Generate Standard Messages"? As a user monitors the band, he or she will likely either decide to call CQ or double-click on someone else's CQ which would cause the message to be TX1 (with the other station's call sign inserted) anyway. Having the default go to TX6 would save a mouse click...I guess I am getting lazy!

                            Not quite the same thing, but you might try the option "F4 sets Tx6".

                            > * Under the Help menu in "About WSJTX", "About MAP65" shows in the upper left corner rather than "About WSJTX".

                            Oops! Has been corrected.

                            > * How about an option to have the distance to the DX station displayed in miles or kilometers?

                            Probably will be done.

                            > * Would it be possible to add a "Tune" button? Since the CAT control can now change the transceiver bands, those of us who have antenna tuners often need to either automatically or manually make adjustments when switching bands. For those transceivers that have a tune mode and corresponding CAT command, it would be great if that command were invoked when this proposed "Tune" button was selected so that the tuning could be done at low power.

                            For now, just do "Tx Enable" and if necessary, check/uncheck "Tx First"
                            to make a short transmission.

                            > * The box at the lower right is labelled "Last TX" which implies (to me, at least) "Last Transmission" when, in fact, it is actually the last TX radio button pushed. If this feature could be modified to actually show the last transmission, it would be more useful for those of us who sometimes "get lost" in the sequence of transmissions and/or who are too "quick on the draw" with the radio buttons.

                            The message displayed as "Last Tx" in the Status Bar is that of your
                            most recently started transmission. It's there for just the reason you
                            mention, and as far as I can see it does just what you want.

                            -- 73. Joe, K1JT
                          • Franco
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 28, 2013
                              --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, Franco Spinelli <frspin@...> wrote:

                              > Il 27/03/2013 21:50, Joe Taylor ha scritto:
                              > > Hi Franco,
                              > >
                              > > Thanks for the useful report. Please try revision 3114 from the SVN
                              > > repository. I think it should fix the problem you found.
                              > >

                              > It solve the problem.
                              >
                              > Now I have my first JT9 signal decoded in Linux!
                              >
                              > I will do some more test in RX mode before to test TX mode and CAT control

                              After some tests in RX only I have done some test for CAT and for TX.

                              Test are done with Ubuntu 12.04 - 32 bits

                              CAT is working with my Ft-897 but when TX is activated I get a segmentation error and a crash in program, leaving radio in TX mode.

                              Regards

                              Franco Spinelli
                              IW2DHW
                            • jeff millar
                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 29, 2013
                                On 03/27/2013 04:27 PM, Joe Taylor wrote:

                                A release with several minor changes and a bug fix has been posted at a
                                link on this page:

                                http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjt.html

                                Revision 3113 of WSJT-X fixes a bug with T/R switching when the user has
                                requested VOX control.

                                wsjtx fails on my Ubuntu 12.10 box because it the JT9 common area requires about
                                81MB of shared memory and the default shared memory max is 32MB.

                                This patch detects the problem and recommends a command to fix it.
                                There is a problem where the message box only appears for a split second,
                                but that's different.

                                Hopefully Edson, PY2SDR sees this as well.  Couldn't find an email address.

                                jeff, wa1hco

                                --- mainwindow.cpp    (revision 3117)
                                +++ mainwindow.cpp    (working copy)
                                @@ -174,13 +174,29 @@
                                                            QString::number(iret));
                                   }
                                 #endif
                                +  int size=sizeof(jt9com_); // size of common area
                                   if(!mem_jt9.attach()) {
                                -    if (!mem_jt9.create(sizeof(jt9com_))) {
                                -      msgBox("Unable to create shared memory segment.");
                                +    if (!mem_jt9.create(size)) {
                                +        // Failed: Linux may not have enough shared memory defined
                                +        QFile fshm("/proc/sys/kernel/shmmax");
                                +        fshm.open(QIODevice::ReadOnly | QIODevice::Text);
                                +        QTextStream inshm(&fshm);
                                +        fshm.close();
                                +        int shmsize;
                                +        inshm  >> shmsize;
                                +        if(size>shmsize) {  // not enough shared memory
                                +            // find power of 2 bigger than common area
                                +            int sizeNeeded;
                                +            sizeNeeded = (int) pow(2.0, ceil(log((float)size)/log(2.0)));
                                +            char msg[80];
                                +            sprintf(msg, "Need more shared memory\n sudo sysctl -w kernel.shmmax=%d", sizeNeeded);
                                +            msgBox(msg);
                                +        }
                                +        else
                                +            msgBox("Unable to create shared memory segment.");
                                     }
                                   }
                                   char *to = (char*)mem_jt9.data();
                                -  int size=sizeof(jt9com_);
                                   if(jt9com_.newdat==0) {
                                   }
                                   memset(to,0,size);         //Zero all decoding params in shared memory

                                Message 15 of 15 , Apr 2, 2013
                                  Hi Jeff,

                                  Thanks for your report. We are well aware that the shared memory
                                  requirement of WSJT-X exceeds the default limit of some Linux
                                  distributions. This falls into our unavoidable category "Runs out of
                                  the box for Windows; some tweaking required for Linux".

                                  The necessary command(s) to change the limit are described in the coming
                                  complete WSJT-X User's Guide -- but not in the currently available brief
                                  draft.

                                  -- 73, Joe, K1JT