CAT CONTROL NOT WORKING.

  • randy376582512
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 27, 2013
      Just updated to the new version v0.8 r3113 but am unable to get the CAT control to work. I am using an ICOM 756 PRO3 and West Mountain Rig Talk for CAT control. It is on Com Port 3. My PTT is on Com 4 and is working fine.

      I have tried all possible settings for the Pro 3 and tried Com 3 and a bunch of the other Com ports but no luck. There is just no reading between the program and the radio. What can I be doing wrong?

      Thanks,
      Randy
      K5RCD
    • Dan Bates
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 27, 2013

        Same thing here trying to run with K3.  PTT works fine, but there appears to be no communications with the radio.  I would assume the frequency would indicate the K3 dial frequency but it just stays on the dropdown setting (ie 14078).

        K3 com settings:  38400 N,8,1

        Dan n5tm

        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 27, 2013
          Well Dan,

          I found that you have to the PTT drop down menu and you will find CAT there. I selected that and removed the PTT Port. That keyed the radio, but there was no output. I too thought the frequency display would follow the radio but it's not as you have found. I don't want to key the radio with CAT anyway, so I'm hoping the setting in the PTT drop down is only for that reason. I guess someone will enlighten us on what we should expect.

          Larry
          W8LIG

          --
          Larry
          W8LIG/NNN0VBG
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 27, 2013
            From what people are saying it sounds like they are expecting the Rig to control the software?.

            Having checked that I can confirm the software isn't controled by the Rig with an IC-706 MkII (I didn't even consider seeing if it would until reading these posts) but I have no trouble with the software controling the Rig from the dropdown (which is all I was expecting).

            73,
            Colin
            M0XSD.

            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 27, 2013
              Dan,

              I am using the same settings as you on the K3 using COM2 for CAT with the same results.  PTT works fine here too.  I am using a microHAM MKII with the K3.  My CAT program is Commander from DXLab.  CAT works flawlessly with other programs, just not with WSJTx.  I am running Windows 8 and am wondering what version of windows you are running.

              73,
              Dave, KC8V

              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 27, 2013
                I would agree Colin, if I use the dropdown and select another band, it does set my Kenwood on the frequency specified in setup for that band. And my setting in the CAT setup is NONE for handshake. Using the Kenwood TS-480 setting from the dropdown list.

                So I guess it is working and maybe I expected more traffic on the port like with DXCommander than there needs to be.

                --
                Larry
                W8LIG
                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 28, 2013
                  It doesn't work properly with my K3 under WinXP either. You can change band using the drop-down above the level control but if you use the VFO or band buttons on the rig the changes are not reflected in the program.

                  I tried K2 and some of the Kenwood options as well with the same result. Perhaps it isn't meant to work in that direction?

                  Julian, G4ILO

                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 28, 2013
                    Hi Julian and all,

                    G4ILO wrote:
                    > It doesn't work properly with my K3 under WinXP either. You can
                    > change band using the drop-down above the level control but if
                    > you use the VFO or band buttons on the rig the changes are not
                    > reflected in the program.

                    In fact, I think CAT control is working as programmed and as advertised.

                    Quoting from the WSJT-X ChangeLog at
                    http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjtx_changelog.txt :

                    "CAT control is now operational, offering optional control of your
                    radio's dial frequency and T/R status."

                    CAT control is presently one-way, computer --> radio. In due course,
                    we'll most likely implement bidirectional computer <--> radio
                    communication. We're not there, yet. Remember that at this stage,
                    v0.8, you're taking part in a program development effort.

                    In an earlier email you also suggested implementing "a smaller
                    granularity of changes in the value of TOL". The "Tol" control in
                    WSJT-X will most likely be eliminated, eventually.

                    Following procedures used in the very successful MAP65 program, I
                    envision the decoding process to proceed like this:

                    1. Decode any signal(s) present at the "QSO frequency".

                    2. Decode any signals found in the full range 1000 - 2000 Hz, in order
                    of increasing frequency.

                    At present there's a "Tol" control (which is probably a poor name, for
                    the way the control is now being used) mainly because some non-JT9
                    signals can tie up the decoder for annoyingly long times -- as you have
                    no doubt discovered. A much quicker way of rejecting RTTY, JT65A, and
                    other such signals will probably be found.

                    -- 73, Joe, K1JT
                  • Rick Scott
                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 28, 2013
                      The hex is 66H for the 746Pro so its different than the 746 Hex 56H.

                      Thanks
                      Scotty W7PSK

                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 28, 2013
                        Has anyone had any luck getting CAT control to work with the Elecraft K3? It is not working for me. When I change the frequency in the dropdown in WSJT-X, the display on the radio does not change. My settings are COM2, 38400, N81 using Commander from DXLab and a microham MK II. It appears there is no communication between the software and the K3.

                        73,
                        Dave, KC8V

                        --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "g4ilo" <julian.g4ilo@...> wrote:

                        > It doesn't work properly with my K3 under WinXP either. You can change band using the drop-down above the level control but if you use the VFO or band buttons on the rig the changes are not reflected in the program.
                        >
                        > I tried K2 and some of the Kenwood options as well with the same result. Perhaps it isn't meant to work in that direction?
                        >
                        > Julian, G4ILO
                        >
                        > --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Bates" <n5tm@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Same thing here trying to run with K3. PTT works fine, but there appears to
                        > > be no communications with the radio. I would assume the frequency would
                        > > indicate the K3 dial frequency but it just stays on the dropdown setting (ie
                        > > 14078).
                        > >

                        > > K3 com settings: 38400 N,8,1
                        > >

                        > > Dan n5tm

                      • Sebastian, W4AS
                        Message 11 of 22 , Mar 28, 2013
                          Yes and no.

                          If I select K3 from the list of rigs, CAT doesn't work for me on my K3. However, if I select Kenwood TS-2000, then it does work. I think I read somewhere the CAT commands for the K3 are similar to a TS-2000.

                          However, I'm using LP Bridge so perhaps that has something to do with it.

                          73 de Sebastian, W4AS

                          On Mar 28, 2013, at 6:08 PM, dachema <dchema@...> wrote:

                          > Has anyone had any luck getting CAT control to work with the Elecraft K3? It is not working for me. When I change the frequency in the dropdown in WSJT-X, the display on the radio does not change. My settings are COM2, 38400, N81 using Commander from DXLab and a microham MK II. It appears there is no communication between the software and the K3.
                          >
                          > 73,
                          > Dave, KC8V
                          >
                          > --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "g4ilo" <julian.g4ilo@...> wrote:
                          >>
                          >> It doesn't work properly with my K3 under WinXP either. You can change band using the drop-down above the level control but if you use the VFO or band buttons on the rig the changes are not reflected in the program.
                          >>
                          >> I tried K2 and some of the Kenwood options as well with the same result. Perhaps it isn't meant to work in that direction?
                          >>
                          >> Julian, G4ILO
                          >>
                          >> --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Bates" <n5tm@> wrote:
                          >>>
                          >>> Same thing here trying to run with K3. PTT works fine, but there appears to
                          >>> be no communications with the radio. I would assume the frequency would
                          >>> indicate the K3 dial frequency but it just stays on the dropdown setting (ie
                          >>> 14078).
                          >>>

                          >>> K3 com settings: 38400 N,8,1
                          >>>

                          >>> Dan n5tm
                        • Dan Bates
                          Message 12 of 22 , Mar 28, 2013

                            Well it does seem to be working on the K3 now.  Don’t know what I did, but When I select a new band on the dropdown, it switches the K3 to that band and frequency.

                            Dan n5tm

                            If I select K3 from the list of rigs, CAT doesn't work for me on my K3. However, if I select Kenwood TS-2000, then it does work. I think I read somewhere the CAT commands for the K3 are similar to a TS-2000.

                            However, I'm using LP Bridge so perhaps that has something to do with it.

                            73 de Sebastian, W4AS

                            On Mar 28, 2013, at 6:08 PM, dachema <dchema@...> wrote:

                            > Has anyone had any luck getting CAT control to work with the Elecraft K3? It is not working for me. When I change the frequency in the dropdown in WSJT-X, the display on the radio does not change. My settings are COM2, 38400, N81 using Commander from DXLab and a microham MK II. It appears there is no communication between the software and the K3.
                            >
                            > 73,
                            > Dave, KC8V
                            >
                            > --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "g4ilo" <julian.g4ilo@...> wrote:
                            >>
                            >> It doesn't work properly with my K3 under WinXP either. You can change band using the drop-down above the level control but if you use the VFO or band buttons on the rig the changes are not reflected in the program.
                            >>
                            >> I tried K2 and some of the Kenwood options as well with the same result. Perhaps it isn't meant to work in that direction?
                            >>
                            >> Julian, G4ILO
                            >>
                            >> --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Bates" <n5tm@> wrote:
                            >>>
                            >>> Same thing here trying to run with K3. PTT works fine, but there appears to
                            >>> be no communications with the radio. I would assume the frequency would
                            >>> indicate the K3 dial frequency but it just stays on the dropdown setting (ie
                            >>> 14078).
                            >>>

                            >>> K3 com settings: 38400 N,8,1
                            >>>

                            >>> Dan n5tm

                          • KD8LCD Cinci
                            Message 13 of 22 , Mar 28, 2013

                              Switch to that band and frequency Is pretty much all it was setup to do

                              Band and frequency, it’s not meant to be a full blown Cat control,

                              It is just a quick convince frequency/band switching control

                              KD8LCD

                              Well it does seem to be working on the K3 now.  Don’t know what I did, but When I select a new band on the dropdown, it switches the K3 to that band and frequency.

                              Dan n5tm

                              If I select K3 from the list of rigs, CAT doesn't work for me on my K3. However, if I select Kenwood TS-2000, then it does work. I think I read somewhere the CAT commands for the K3 are similar to a TS-2000.

                              However, I'm using LP Bridge so perhaps that has something to do with it.

                              73 de Sebastian, W4AS

                              On Mar 28, 2013, at 6:08 PM, dachema <dchema@...> wrote:

                              > Has anyone had any luck getting CAT control to work with the Elecraft K3? It is not working for me. When I change the frequency in the dropdown in WSJT-X, the display on the radio does not change. My settings are COM2, 38400, N81 using Commander from DXLab and a microham MK II. It appears there is no communication between the software and the K3.
                              >
                              > 73,
                              > Dave, KC8V
                              >
                              > --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "g4ilo" <julian.g4ilo@...> wrote:
                              >>
                              >> It doesn't work properly with my K3 under WinXP either. You can change band using the drop-down above the level control but if you use the VFO or band buttons on the rig the changes are not reflected in the program.
                              >>
                              >> I tried K2 and some of the Kenwood options as well with the same result. Perhaps it isn't meant to work in that direction?
                              >>
                              >> Julian, G4ILO
                              >>
                              >> --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Bates" <n5tm@> wrote:
                              >>>
                              >>> Same thing here trying to run with K3. PTT works fine, but there appears to
                              >>> be no communications with the radio. I would assume the frequency would
                              >>> indicate the K3 dial frequency but it just stays on the dropdown setting (ie
                              >>> 14078).
                              >>>

                              >>> K3 com settings: 38400 N,8,1
                              >>>

                              >>> Dan n5tm

                            • dachema
                              Message 14 of 22 , Mar 28, 2013
                                Thanks for the replies. I am still unable to get CAT working on the K3. I tried selecting the Kenwood TS-2000 from the list of rigs but still no luck. CAT works with N1MM and Commander, just not with WSJT-X. I don't know what else to try. I am not using an LP Bridge. I realize that when I select a different band from the dropdown in WSJT-X that the radio should change to the chosen band and frequency. That is not happening here with the K3. As stated before, I am using a microHAM MK II and it works with Commander and JT65-HF flawlessly. It just isn't working with WSJT-X.

                                Dave, KC8V

                                --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "KD8LCD Cinci" <kd8lcd@...> wrote:

                                > Switch to that band and frequency Is pretty much all it was setup to do
                                >

                                > Band and frequency, it's not meant to be a full blown Cat control,
                                >

                                > It is just a quick convince frequency/band switching control
                                >

                                > KD8LCD

                              • Joe Subich, W4TV
                                Message 15 of 22 , Mar 28, 2013
                                  I am away at the moment ... I will check the new CAT interface with
                                  the K3 and microHAM interfaces when I get back to the rig next week.
                                  However, it is likely that a quick - open the port, send a data burst,
                                  close the port will be problematic with virtual ports like the Eltima
                                  ports used by microHAM Router - particularly if you are trying to use
                                  two COM ports (logger and WSJT-x) - due to critical timing issues.

                                  73,

                                  ... Joe Subich, W4TV
                                  microHAM America, LLC.
                                  http://www.microHAM-USA.com

                                • Joe Subich, W4TV
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Mar 28, 2013
                                    Joe,

                                    > 2. Decode any signals found in the full range 1000 - 2000 Hz, in order
                                    > of increasing frequency.

                                    What is the trick to get the waterfall/spectrum to display the full
                                    1000 - 2000 Hz? I seem to be limited to 1000 - 1500 Hz ... or 1500
                                    - 1700Hz if I drag the display full width on my monitor.

                                    73,

                                    ... Joe, W4TV

                                    On 3/28/2013 11:56 AM, Joe Taylor wrote:
                                    > Hi Julian and all,
                                    >
                                    > G4ILO wrote:
                                    >> It doesn't work properly with my K3 under WinXP either. You can
                                    >> change band using the drop-down above the level control but if
                                    >> you use the VFO or band buttons on the rig the changes are not
                                    >> reflected in the program.
                                    >
                                    > In fact, I think CAT control is working as programmed and as advertised.
                                    >
                                    > Quoting from the WSJT-X ChangeLog at
                                    > http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjtx_changelog.txt :
                                    >
                                    > "CAT control is now operational, offering optional control of your
                                    > radio's dial frequency and T/R status."
                                    >
                                    > CAT control is presently one-way, computer --> radio. In due course,
                                    > we'll most likely implement bidirectional computer <--> radio
                                    > communication. We're not there, yet. Remember that at this stage,
                                    > v0.8, you're taking part in a program development effort.
                                    >
                                    > In an earlier email you also suggested implementing "a smaller
                                    > granularity of changes in the value of TOL". The "Tol" control in
                                    > WSJT-X will most likely be eliminated, eventually.
                                    >
                                    > Following procedures used in the very successful MAP65 program, I
                                    > envision the decoding process to proceed like this:
                                    >
                                    > 1. Decode any signal(s) present at the "QSO frequency".
                                    >
                                    > 2. Decode any signals found in the full range 1000 - 2000 Hz, in order
                                    > of increasing frequency.
                                    >
                                    > At present there's a "Tol" control (which is probably a poor name, for
                                    > the way the control is now being used) mainly because some non-JT9
                                    > signals can tie up the decoder for annoyingly long times -- as you have
                                    > no doubt discovered. A much quicker way of rejecting RTTY, JT65A, and
                                    > other such signals will probably be found.
                                    >
                                    > -- 73, Joe, K1JT

                                    > WSJTGroup HomePage http://www.meteorscatter.org/
                                    >

                                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  • dachema
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Mar 28, 2013
                                      Joe Subich,

                                      Thanks for your informative replies. They are very much appreciated. Tomorrow, when I have more time, I will read through the support information in the microHAM-USA URL that you provided in an earlier response. Please keep us posted as to your findings when you get back to your rig next week.

                                      73,

                                      Dave, KC8V

                                      --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@...> wrote:

                                      > I am away at the moment ... I will check the new CAT interface with
                                      > the K3 and microHAM interfaces when I get back to the rig next week.
                                      > However, it is likely that a quick - open the port, send a data burst,
                                      > close the port will be problematic with virtual ports like the Eltima
                                      > ports used by microHAM Router - particularly if you are trying to use
                                      > two COM ports (logger and WSJT-x) - due to critical timing issues.
                                      >
                                      > 73,
                                      >
                                      > ... Joe Subich, W4TV
                                      > microHAM America, LLC.
                                      > http://www.microHAM-USA.com
                                      >

                                      > On 3/28/2013 9:55 PM, dachema wrote:
                                      > > Thanks for the replies. I am still unable to get CAT working on the K3. I tried selecting the Kenwood TS-2000 from the list of rigs but still no luck. CAT works with N1MM and Commander, just not with WSJT-X. I don't know what else to try. I am not using an LP Bridge. I realize that when I select a different band from the dropdown in WSJT-X that the radio should change to the chosen band and frequency. That is not happening here with the K3. As stated before, I am using a microHAM MK II and it works with Commander and JT65-HF flawlessly. It just isn't working with WSJT-X.
                                      > >
                                      > > Dave, KC8V
                                      > >
                                      > > --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "KD8LCD Cinci" <kd8lcd@> wrote:
                                      > >>
                                      > >> Switch to that band and frequency Is pretty much all it was setup to do
                                      > >>

                                      > >> Band and frequency, it's not meant to be a full blown Cat control,
                                      > >>

                                      > >> It is just a quick convince frequency/band switching control
                                      > >>

                                      > >> KD8LCD

                                    • Bruce Brackin

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Mar 29, 2013
                                          An idea: Download Virtual Serial Port Emulator from http://www.eterlogic.com/Products.VSPE.html and create a splitter on your K3 serial port. My K3 is on COM3 so I named the splitter COM13.

                                          Now tell WSPR-X and all your logging programs to use COM13 (or whatever you chosde) instead of COM3.

                                          That's how I am set up and it allows me to use the same port (COM13) for PTT, CAT and my logging program, simultaneously.

                                          Julian, G4ILO

                                          --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "dachema" <dchema@...> wrote:

                                          > Thanks for the replies. I am still unable to get CAT working on the K3. I tried selecting the Kenwood TS-2000 from the list of rigs but still no luck. CAT works with N1MM and Commander, just not with WSJT-X. I don't know what else to try. I am not using an LP Bridge. I realize that when I select a different band from the dropdown in WSJT-X that the radio should change to the chosen band and frequency. That is not happening here with the K3. As stated before, I am using a microHAM MK II and it works with Commander and JT65-HF flawlessly. It just isn't working with WSJT-X.
                                          >
                                          > Dave, KC8V
                                          >
                                          > --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "KD8LCD Cinci" <kd8lcd@> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > Switch to that band and frequency Is pretty much all it was setup to do
                                          > >

                                          > > Band and frequency, it's not meant to be a full blown Cat control,
                                          > >

                                          > > It is just a quick convince frequency/band switching control
                                          > >

                                          > > KD8LCD

                                        • Rick Langford
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Mar 29, 2013
                                            Correct

                                            Us flex guys use a similar method
                                            Vspmgr for virtual comm ports
                                            Dditil to handle the traffic between vrpmgr and any software requiring cat or ptt control

                                            Works very well

                                            Message 21 of 22 , Apr 1, 2013
                                              I took a look at wsjtx 0.8r3113 and microHAM MK II this evening.
                                              CAT control works correctly with microHAM Router 8.3.1 and the K3.
                                              The primary CAT port is DXLab Suite (CI-V Commander) at 38.400 bps.
                                              WSJTx is configured to use the 2nd CAT port also at 38,400 bps.
                                              The K3 changes bands flawlessly as I change bands in the drop-down.

                                              CU-V Commander must be set to a Command Interval >= 300 msec or it will
                                              monopolize the K3's serial capacity and cause intermittent (erratic)
                                              operation when sharing the serial capability. It is important to have
                                              at least 300 msec between commands with the K3 - particularly for band
                                              changes - as the K3 can stop responding to the serial port for up to
                                              250 msec following a command that results in a band change. If microHAM
                                              Router sees a command without a matching response from the K3, it must
                                              flush the buffers and resynchronize to assure that the responses from
                                              the K3 are routed to the virtual port that issued the command/poll that
                                              generated the response.

                                              This poll/response matching is important to prevent problems when using
                                              simultaneous control of one transceiver by two applications.

                                              73,

                                              ... Joe, W4TV

                                              > I am away at the moment ... I will check the new CAT interface with
                                              > the K3 and microHAM interfaces when I get back to the rig next week.
                                              > However, it is likely that a quick - open the port, send a data burst,
                                              > close the port will be problematic with virtual ports like the Eltima
                                              > ports used by microHAM Router - particularly if you are trying to use
                                              > two COM ports (logger and WSJT-x) - due to critical timing issues.
                                              >
                                              > 73,
                                              >
                                              > ... Joe Subich, W4TV
                                              > microHAM America, LLC.
                                              > http://www.microHAM-USA.com
                                              >

                                              > On 3/28/2013 9:55 PM, dachema wrote:
                                              >> Thanks for the replies. I am still unable to get CAT working on the K3. I tried selecting the Kenwood TS-2000 from the list of rigs but still no luck. CAT works with N1MM and Commander, just not with WSJT-X. I don't know what else to try. I am not using an LP Bridge. I realize that when I select a different band from the dropdown in WSJT-X that the radio should change to the chosen band and frequency. That is not happening here with the K3. As stated before, I am using a microHAM MK II and it works with Commander and JT65-HF flawlessly. It just isn't working with WSJT-X.
                                              >>
                                              >> Dave, KC8V
                                              >>
                                              >> --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "KD8LCD Cinci" <kd8lcd@...> wrote:
                                              >>>
                                              >>> Switch to that band and frequency Is pretty much all it was setup to do
                                              >>>

                                              >>> Band and frequency, it's not meant to be a full blown Cat control,
                                              >>>

                                              >>> It is just a quick convince frequency/band switching control
                                              >>>

                                              >>> KD8LCD

                                            • David Chema
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Apr 2, 2013
                                                Joe,

                                                Thanks for your response.  I finally have CAT control working with WSJTx, Commander, and the K3.  My primary CAT port in the microHAM router is COM2.  I created a second virtual port COM4 in the router and assigned the secondary CAT port to it.  Once I pointed WSJTx to COM4 for CAT I had CAT control between WSJTx, Commander, and the K3.  All is working well now for me with CAT control.  My Command Interval is set to 300 msec, so I was okay there.

                                                Thanks again for your help.  It's much appreciated!

                                                73,

                                                Dave, KC8V

                                                "Dan Bates" <n5tm@> wrote:

                                                Same thing here trying to run with K3. PTT works fine, but there appears
                                                be no communications with the radio. I would assume the frequency would
                                                indicate the K3 dial frequency but it just stays on the dropdown setting
                                                (ie
                                                14078).

                                                K3 com settings: 38400 N,8,1

                                                Dan n5tm