Jt 65 ...its become impossible to make a contact

  • n8wac
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 12, 2013
      What is power greed? 1 watt, 10 watts, 100 watts, 1K? Each operator will have his own opinion depending on what band he may be on. 5 watts on 160 meters or 2 meter eme may not get you any dx at all. But the same 5 watts will get you world wide on 20 meters. On the http://hflink.com/jt65/ web site it states on The Special Notes line #2..."20 Watts ERP is maximum for normal activity and DXing in the 40 metre to 10 metre bands". Again "normal activity". Does normal activity mean the same as good band conditions? Once I get my attenuator in line I'll be running milliwatts. But I wont be calling everyone else running higher power erp a greedy power hog. My opinion is follow the rules and run minimum/enough power to make the contact. Yes I start with low power. But 50 watts on 20 meters is no comparison to 50 watts on 160 meters or 2 meter eme.

      N8WAC,Tony

    • Chris Megaw
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 13, 2013
        I thought it was weak signal not weak power? 5W on a beam on 20M ..... OK I can do that, I get a reply of -10... I turn down the power. 50W on a beam on 17M and I get a reply of -22.....am I going to turn it down Hell No!!!

        Weak signal DOES NOT equal weak power!!!!

        Horses for courses. If you are happy on 5w good luck to you! If you get a -02 on your reply hmmm.....you can maybe save some electricity!!

        73

        Chris
        VK4FR
      • Ron Settle
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 13, 2013

          Unfortunately, "our" frequency is does not belong to us.  We are subject to the same first come first serve basis as everyone else.... even the contesters.  There are no FCC guaranteed frequencies for any mode.

          Ron

          WM9Q

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 13, 2013
            OK Guys

            It's not POWER it's BANDWIDTH!  JT was made for Weak EME work not 20m DXing.     I am regularly wiped out by 5 watt stations that are 20/s9 . QSY up or down.  JT is
            only legal on .076.... Life is too short for QRPP..Mark W7MEM