ARRL OO Notices

  • paulnn4f
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 10, 2013
      Hello,

      In the past few months, several hams that are in groups that I frequent have received OO notices for "Bad Practices" on JT65

      I'm one of SC's Asst. Section Managers and I'm putting together a file that we are working on, if you have received an OO notice, I know you may not want to make it public, so if you would email me at paul@..., with the reason for the note and the OO that issued the note, I can add it to our complaint....

      I will not make your details public unless you specify....

      Thanks, Paul - NN4F
    • Facility 406 DM09
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 11, 2013
        "In the past few months, several hams that are in groups that I frequent
        have received OO notices for "Bad Practices" on JT65"

        What is the extent of the claims and are they valid?

        Are the notices publicly available for review?

        Speaking of which, I have a number of an FCC enforcement notice, which the
        FCC absolutely refuses to acknowledge or provide details of, how can I get
        my hands on the original complaint?

        Kurt
      • Jim Brown
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 11, 2013
          ARRL Official Observers are simply volunteer hams appointed by the local
          ARRL Section Communications Manager. They carry no official weight, but
          are simply good neighbor observations of anything from a dirty signal to
          out of band operation. The OO program has been around since long before
          I got my ham ticket in 1955.

          I too would be interested in seeing a description of the practices that
          are being cited. No need for names of OO or the ham being cited.

          73, Jim K9YC

          On 2/11/2013 10:43 AM, Facility 406 DM09 wrote:
          > "In the past few months, several hams that are in groups that I frequent
          > have received OO notices for "Bad Practices" on JT65"
          >
          > What is the extent of the claims and are they valid?
          >
          > Are the notices publicly available for review?

        • eric
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 12, 2013
            Hi the group

            I used jt65hf since two years in hf and was very huppy to work 48 us states...but since some fews months its become impossible to work any us stations with only 5 w...this morning i was on 80 and listened some us but some oms abuse with power and even call without rx...
            I used sdrflex too ots was funny with 5 w ...but now some says they used 30/40 or more watts...please om power is not necessery to add any station in your log. Interest of this mode is running little power not play with 100 w...back in rtty for used 100 w.

            Thank reading my post

            73 Eric
          • n8wac
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 12, 2013
              I have been active on JT65 for a little over 1 year. My opinion is yes, at times 5 watts is ok. But contacts with this power setting depends on antennas, conditions, band and a number of other factors. This past winter I have found that I could not make contacts on 160 mtrs and 40 mtrs with minimum power. I had to increase the power quit a bit in order to make the contact. Maybe I'm wrong by increasing power. But if I'm hearing Europe on 160 meters and I can't work them using minimum power with a full wave loop my only option would be to increase power.

              N8WAC

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 12, 2013
                Yep, the week link in the HF JT65 chain......ie, op power greed.  That's sad.

                Robert W4RL