Columbus V800 GPS Data Logger for laptop timekeeping and Grid Display

  • Lance Collister, W7GJ
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2013
      A few months ago, I purchased a little Columbus V800 USB GPS data logger on EBAY to
      set the clock on my laptop computer for WSJT modes when I am operating portable. I
      was looking for something more portable and less dependent on batteries than my
      Garmin ETREX hand held GPS unit. The V800 was a fraction of the cost and works great
      (much faster) with several freeware programs such as GPStime by COAA to update my
      computer clock. It also works well with programs such as Mini GPS by MediaTek Inc.
      to display your current location.

      What I thought was missing, though, was the ability to automatically calculate and
      display the Maidenhead grid locator, which would be of particular interest for rover
      stations during contests or grid-hopping stations using WSJT to activate grids for
      FFMA. Now, there is a free program available that automatically updates the computer
      clock AND displays the current location along with the Maidenhead grid locator ;-)

      BktTimeSync Version 1.3.0 has just been released with all the above features and
      works great with the economical and compact Columbus V800:

      http://www.iz2bkt.com/BktTimeSync/BktTimeSyncEn.htm

      GL and VY 73, Lance

      --
      Lance Collister, W7GJ
      (ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ, E6M)

      page (above)!