RE: [wsjtgroup] Re: 1500Hz and the JT9-10 mode

  • cqdx@nifty.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 14, 2012
    Hello KD

    Seeing is believing.
    I watched a real spectrum by SDR radio.
    "1270.5Hz" was not found.

    73, Hisami 7L4IOU

  • rein0zn@ix.netcom.com
    Message 2 of 8 , Dec 14, 2012
      Hi All,

      JT9 is as WSJT and as WSPR.

      A dial frequency is used ( this is the suppressed carrier frequency of a SSB signal, the WSJTxxx signal
      Then there is a range of audio frequencies to be used the modulate the SSB suppressed carrier.

      In WSJT, a "DF" frequency is used : DF = ( sync. freq - 1278 Hz. ) DF can be pos. and negative.

      In WSPR the "DF" frequency can be selected between 1400 and 1600 Hz

      In JT9-zz there is not really a "DF" defined but the principle is the same.

      Dial frequency and a minimal mod frequency for a transmission are used. ( 1000 - 1600 Hz )

      7039 Dial frequency, frequency selected = 1350 Hz ( for example )

      Signal spectrum 7040.35 to 7040.35 + xx Hz, xx depends on the JT9 selected mode. ( max some 14 Hz I believe , for JT9-1 )

      See JT9 instruction manual for the exact values for XX for the different JT9 modes.

      73 Rein,W6SZ

      >This leads to a question of what DF=0 actually is for the JT9-xx modes. My
      >understanding may be incorrect, which is that DF=0 is a tone frequency of
      >1270.5 Hz. So if Hisami is using 1300 Hz as his DF, that would put him at
      >1.910MHz + 1270.5Hz + 1300 Hz, or 1.912571 MHz, which puts him outside where
      >he can legally operate. Can anyone confirm this?
      >
      >73 de WY5R - KD
      >
      >dbcalc - http://dwestbrook.net/projects/ham/dBCalc/

    • K. D. Sarchet
      Message 3 of 8 , Dec 14, 2012
        Thanks Rein,

        I was looking at the DF from the JT65 standpoint. If the DF is set to 0 (zero), the sync tone is 1270.5 Hz (DF = sync freq - 1270.5), similar to your WSJT example of DF = sync freq - 1278. Also, since the visual interface of WSJTX is borrowed from WSJT I assumed too much about the horizontal scale on the graph window. DF in WSJT vs actual sync tone frequency in WSJTX.

        Message 4 of 8 , Dec 14, 2012
          "K. D. Sarchet" <wy5r@...> wrote:

          > This leads to a question of what DF=0 actually is for the JT9-xx modes.
          > My understanding may be incorrect, which is that DF=0 is a tone frequency
          > of 1270.5 Hz. So if Hisami is using 1300 Hz as his DF, that would put him
          > at 1.910MHz + 1270.5Hz + 1300 Hz, or 1.912571 MHz, which puts him outside
          > where he can legally operate. Can anyone confirm this?

          From what I observe when simultaneously (on receive) using JT65-HF and JT9-1
          the +1300 on JT9-1 is equivalennt to +30 on JT9-1

          On 160m here both modes seem to be usually with DF = 1838KHz. Contest at
          moment so chaotic!

          --
          Brian Duffell
          G3VGZ G8AOE
          Message 5 of 8 , Dec 14, 2012
            Hello KD,

            You got it, It's all the same idea, the difference in the carrier frequency ( dial setting ) and the frequencies carrying the sync signals.

            73 Rein W6SZ

            >I was looking at the DF from the JT65 standpoint. If the DF is set to 0 (zero), the sync tone is 1270.5 Hz (DF = sync freq - 1270.5), similar to your WSJT example of DF = sync freq - 1278. Also, since the visual interface of WSJTX is borrowed from WSJT I assumed too much about the horizontal scale on the graph window. DF in WSJT vs actual sync tone frequency in WSJTX.
            >
            >73 de WY5R - KD
            >
            >dbcalc - http://dwestbrook.net/projects/ham/dBCalc/

          • mack edmonson
            Message 6 of 8 , Dec 14, 2012
              My underatanding is the tone frequency selected (between 1000 hz and 2000hz ) is the sync  for JT9xx .  DF is the delta of the sync between the two stations.  1270.5 hz is not used as a sync frequency in JT9xx modes.  1270.5 hz is used only in JT65 modes as a sync .  DF is not really a factor other than using more bandwidth than is nesessary. When calling someone try to get on his exact frequency.

              Mack
              W4ENN