Re: 1500Hz and the JT9-10 mode

  • cqdx@nifty.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 14, 2012
      Hello Eric and All,

      I can QRV 160M JT9-xx at 1.910MHz

      We have Two limitations.
      narow band width : 1,907,500 to 1,912,500Hz
      narow occupide band width : less than 100Hz

      http://www.jarl.or.jp/English/6_Band_Plan/JapaneseAmateurBandplans20090330.pdf

      in this weekend,
      I will calling CQ at 1.910MHz Dial + 1300Hz AF Tx-first

      73, Hisami 7L4IOU

      >Dear Gang:
      >I would like to try a sked with someone on 160m using JT9-1. I have a rather
      >poor antenna on 160m (HF-2V 31-ft vertical, 66 radials), so someone in
      >Washington, Arizona, Nevada, etc, would be great for a first attempt. I am
      >in the SF Bay area. My antenna is tuned at 1.830 MHz
      >73,
      >Eric WD6DBM

    • K. D. Sarchet
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 14, 2012
        This leads to a question of what DF=0 actually is for the JT9-xx modes. My
        understanding may be incorrect, which is that DF=0 is a tone frequency of
        1270.5 Hz. So if Hisami is using 1300 Hz as his DF, that would put him at
        1.910MHz + 1270.5Hz + 1300 Hz, or 1.912571 MHz, which puts him outside where
        he can legally operate. Can anyone confirm this?

        73 de WY5R - KD

        dbcalc - http://dwestbrook.net/projects/ham/dBCalc/

      • cqdx@nifty.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 14, 2012
        Hello KD

        Seeing is believing.
        I watched a real spectrum by SDR radio.
        "1270.5Hz" was not found.

        73, Hisami 7L4IOU

      • rein0zn@ix.netcom.com
        Message 4 of 8 , Dec 14, 2012
          Hi All,

          JT9 is as WSJT and as WSPR.

          A dial frequency is used ( this is the suppressed carrier frequency of a SSB signal, the WSJTxxx signal
          Then there is a range of audio frequencies to be used the modulate the SSB suppressed carrier.

          In WSJT, a "DF" frequency is used : DF = ( sync. freq - 1278 Hz. ) DF can be pos. and negative.

          In WSPR the "DF" frequency can be selected between 1400 and 1600 Hz

          In JT9-zz there is not really a "DF" defined but the principle is the same.

          Dial frequency and a minimal mod frequency for a transmission are used. ( 1000 - 1600 Hz )

          7039 Dial frequency, frequency selected = 1350 Hz ( for example )

          Signal spectrum 7040.35 to 7040.35 + xx Hz, xx depends on the JT9 selected mode. ( max some 14 Hz I believe , for JT9-1 )

          See JT9 instruction manual for the exact values for XX for the different JT9 modes.

          73 Rein,W6SZ

          >This leads to a question of what DF=0 actually is for the JT9-xx modes. My
          >understanding may be incorrect, which is that DF=0 is a tone frequency of
          >1270.5 Hz. So if Hisami is using 1300 Hz as his DF, that would put him at
          >1.910MHz + 1270.5Hz + 1300 Hz, or 1.912571 MHz, which puts him outside where
          >he can legally operate. Can anyone confirm this?
          >
          >73 de WY5R - KD
          >
          >dbcalc - http://dwestbrook.net/projects/ham/dBCalc/

        • K. D. Sarchet
          Message 5 of 8 , Dec 14, 2012
            Thanks Rein,

            I was looking at the DF from the JT65 standpoint. If the DF is set to 0 (zero), the sync tone is 1270.5 Hz (DF = sync freq - 1270.5), similar to your WSJT example of DF = sync freq - 1278. Also, since the visual interface of WSJTX is borrowed from WSJT I assumed too much about the horizontal scale on the graph window. DF in WSJT vs actual sync tone frequency in WSJTX.

            Message 6 of 8 , Dec 14, 2012
              "K. D. Sarchet" <wy5r@...> wrote:

              > This leads to a question of what DF=0 actually is for the JT9-xx modes.
              > My understanding may be incorrect, which is that DF=0 is a tone frequency
              > of 1270.5 Hz. So if Hisami is using 1300 Hz as his DF, that would put him
              > at 1.910MHz + 1270.5Hz + 1300 Hz, or 1.912571 MHz, which puts him outside
              > where he can legally operate. Can anyone confirm this?

              From what I observe when simultaneously (on receive) using JT65-HF and JT9-1
              the +1300 on JT9-1 is equivalennt to +30 on JT9-1

              On 160m here both modes seem to be usually with DF = 1838KHz. Contest at
              moment so chaotic!

              --
              Brian Duffell
              G3VGZ G8AOE
              Message 7 of 8 , Dec 14, 2012
                Hello KD,

                You got it, It's all the same idea, the difference in the carrier frequency ( dial setting ) and the frequencies carrying the sync signals.

                73 Rein W6SZ

                >I was looking at the DF from the JT65 standpoint. If the DF is set to 0 (zero), the sync tone is 1270.5 Hz (DF = sync freq - 1270.5), similar to your WSJT example of DF = sync freq - 1278. Also, since the visual interface of WSJTX is borrowed from WSJT I assumed too much about the horizontal scale on the graph window. DF in WSJT vs actual sync tone frequency in WSJTX.
                >
                >73 de WY5R - KD
                >
                >dbcalc - http://dwestbrook.net/projects/ham/dBCalc/

              • mack edmonson
                Message 8 of 8 , Dec 14, 2012
                  My underatanding is the tone frequency selected (between 1000 hz and 2000hz ) is the sync  for JT9xx .  DF is the delta of the sync between the two stations.  1270.5 hz is not used as a sync frequency in JT9xx modes.  1270.5 hz is used only in JT65 modes as a sync .  DF is not really a factor other than using more bandwidth than is nesessary. When calling someone try to get on his exact frequency.

                  Mack
                  W4ENN