JT9-1 6M EME QSO

  • Jim and Hannelore Fisher
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2012
      W7GJ and VE1JF completed a 6M EME QSO without difficulty using JT9-1 this morning. Both stations were also decoded by N7NW during the contact.

      VE1SKY and VE1JF have been conducting some JT9-1 6M tests and over the past few days have had some EME DT traces of appropriate Doppler DF and signal strength not too far below the lowest signal strength at which VE1JF decoded W7GJ today. One nice thing for us about the very narrow bandwidth of JT9 is that our mutual Doppler shift at moonset puts all the bandwidth of the EME signal below the terrestrial trace which has gummed up previous JT65A attempts between us. No EME decodes between VE1SKY and VE1JF so far...but note that VE1SKY is running 180W to a 50-1300MHz LPDA with gain equivalent to a 4 el yagi. We are still learning. My prediction is we will make it happen someday when DGRD and Faraday and mutual lobes sing together.

      JT9-1 was not designed for this purpose but in recent versions is proving very robust and a real pleasure to use. The waterfall is a delight to look at and, for those readers who have not yet identified one off the air, JT9-1 looks like a column filled with blue or green bubbles.

      73,

      Jim VE1JF