Re: [wsjtgroup] WSJT-X and Sound Cards

  • Sebastian, W4AS
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 5, 2012
      Roger I think you are looking in the right direction towards replacing the sound card. I have a similar situation with my own PC and the internal Realtek device. In my case, the Line Out says that I don't have speakers attached (they are), and the Line In also shows full scale.

      Windows also tells me there is nothing wrong with it, but that is probably because the O/S can see the device.

      As far as recommendations for replacements, for the typical ham radio digital modes, most external USB sound cards will work fine. If you were using a Software Defined Receiver, then I would go with a more expensive card. On the other hand, the SignaLink USB is a very nice solution, being that you can use it without sacrificing your normal sound card (which you no longer have), and the external controls allow you to set the input and output very easily.

      I would like to at least listen on 160m with WSJT-X with my wet noodle. Is there already a frequency that is typically used for the mode?

      73 de Sebastian, W4AS
      WSJTGROUP Official Website: http://www.meteorscatter.org

      On Nov 5, 2012, at 7:58 PM, Sky <ve1sky@...> wrote:

      > I was able to get JT9-1 to work perfectly on 160m after a great deal of trial and error. I hadn't had any difficulty on any other digi mode using the stock soundcard in a Dell Inspiron 530 DuoCore computer until I tried 160m WSJT-X. It was overdriving on 160m. After many tries at various fixes, Realtek High Definition Audio (Input) and (Output) drivers worked. Previously, I had used the default MME Sound Mapper input and output drivers. With the Realtek drivers, I had a nice clean trace and was decoded nearly flawlessly in two back-to-back QSOs. After declaring success, I tried various other digital software applications, SSB, and Windows sounds, just to make sure all was well. I shut the station down and didn't use it or try JT9-1 for two days.
      >
      > When I did fire up the station again, I found that I was not getting any audio out. JT9-1 sent the Rigblaster interface and Yaesu FT 847 into TX mode, but no RF went out. I found all sound applications were the same...no audio out. When I checked device manager measures, the speakers' levels were fluctuating with indications of audio. Line In looked very odd..it was at full scale and no adjustments in volume or power could get it to budge. I have repeatedly rebooted and disconnected all power from the computer before cold booting. I checked all cables, connections and volume levels for input and output. I uninstalled all audio devices and drivers and reinstalled them...no luck at all. Line IN is still stuck at the maximum on the output scale and no audio can be heard on either pair of speakers I have tried. Microsoft tests and reports claim that all devices are working properly. Does anyone know what might be happening? If it is a non-functioning soundcard, could it have been related to running JT9-1 and the Realtek drivers? If it is the soundcard, what is recommended for a replacement to run all digi modes and bands.
      >
      > I don't really expect a definitive answer, but have fun with the puzzle. In the meantime, I'm ready to try a new soundcard to get back on the WSJT-X modes. I was having a great time trying the new suite.
      >
      > Thank you to Joe, K1JT for the software and rapid updates. I hope you are getting your house (as in domicile) back in order after Hurricane Sandy. It seems you were trying to keep all of us happy with new versions of WSJT-X while your power was out and you were holed-up in your campus office.
      >
      > 73,
      > Roger, VE1SKY
    • Sky
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 7, 2012
        Sebastian,

        I hope you got the email I sent you a couple days ago. Thanks for your post here too. On 160m, 1.838 or 1.839 is the place to be so far. Given the increasing numbers of JT65 HF users on 1.838, a dedicated frequency for WSJT-X may be a good thing sometime soon.

        I have an order in for an external soundcard that should arrive at my rural outpost within a week. I have given up on the Dell soundcard ever working again. Twelve hours of puzzle time was enough. I had a tech come in and try to figure it out. He did all the same routines I tried. Said buy a new card :)

        Wish me luck with an outboard Startech 7.1 USB Model # ICUSBAUDIO7D.

        I just downloaded r2717 and will try again.

        73
        Roger, VE1SKY

        --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Sebastian, W4AS" <w4as@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > >
        > > I don't really expect a definitive answer, but have fun with the puzzle. In the meantime, I'm ready to try a new soundcard to get back on the WSJT-X modes. I was having a great time trying the new suite.
        > >
        > > Thank you to Joe, K1JT for the software and rapid updates. I hope you are getting your house (as in domicile) back in order after Hurricane Sandy. It seems you were trying to keep all of us happy with new versions of WSJT-X while your power was out and you were holed-up in your campus office.

      • Sky
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 22, 2012
          An update on Soundcard difficulties and JT9.

          I have installed a Startech 7.1 USB Model # ICUSBAUDIO7D external soundcard. I am using Direct X drivers. Generic Sound Mapper drivers produce very poor results for me on 160m in JT9. To allow the program to open properly, I also had to reset Audio settings from 0,2 to 0,3 in setup menu by opening underlying file in WSJT-X program and making change to 3.

          All is well. WSJT-X is indeed an enjoyable mode. I'm starting to note DX and power correlations.

          TU K1JT. Also enjoyed the JT9-1 QSO with you tonight on 1839.5 USB.

          73,
          Roger, VE1SKY