wsjtx on 160m

  • Larry Meehan (WA8EJH)
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2012
      Hi everyone!

      I am interested in experimenting with the new modes available in wsjtx.
      Most of the current work seems to be on the LF and VLF frequencies. I'm
      not ready to put up a VLF antenna yet, so I'd like to find out if there
      is any activity on 160m or if there are people who would like to create
      some activity there.

      Is there any consensus about frequencies? It seems to me that the
      narrow-band modes offered in wsjtx are more similar to wspr and qrss
      than they are to jt65. Is there some way to fit wsjtx operation in near
      the wspr frequencies? Maybe just below the wspr frequencies would be
      good since wspr seems to be relative to 1500 Hz above dial frequency and
      wsjtx seems to be relative to 1000 Hz above dial frequency.

      Any and all discussion is welcome and I'm ready to do monitoring,
      beaconing, and/or QSOs.

      73,
      Larry, WA8EJH
    • KD7YZ Bob
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 2, 2012
        On Thursday (WA8EJH) sent, on a straight key:

        > Hi everyone!

        > I am interested in experimenting with the new modes available in wsjtx.
        >......... so I'd like to find out if there
        > is any activity on 160m

        There are a handful of Ops, globally it seems, who have been
        quasi-coordinating testing of WSJT-X amongst themselves. The following
        few links will take you to the most likely Places on which we see if
        anyone might be able to listen for, or reply to the JT9-x modes.

        HamSpots Chat: http://hamspots.net/wsjt/

        K3UK Skeds Chat: http://www.obriensweb.com/sked/index.php?board=digitalradio

        ON4KST Low Band Chat:
        http://www.on4kst.org/chat/index.php
        ........ON4KST you will arrive on Index page; Select Low-Band/VLF

        Ping-Jockey JT65 Terrestrial:
        http://www.chris.org/cgi-bin/jt65talk
        Sometimes you end up on the M/S page. Select Upper-right, JT65A:

        The latter one although higher-volume sometimes, I find quite annoying to
        try and type on. It has the propensity to all-of-a-sudden place your
        cursor/pointer at the bottom of the line-by-line display of incremental
        messages.

        I, for one, am unable to stare at a monitor and also type on keyboard.
        Also it's possible to hit the backspace key and have your last Post
        entered into the Add-comments text-box as well as to resend that.

        There is a lot of activity actually ON the WSJT/JT65 frequencies. There
        is likewise a LOT of coordination going on nearly 24 hours a day and
        somebody to aim a CQ at. Most enjoyable indeed!

        > Is there any consensus about frequencies?

        That is going to be a good one for argument. Any settling on one is well
        above my Clearance-Level.

        On 160m last night, I was crashed upon by some JT65hf users thus
        rendering the entire spectrum I saw totally useless to some very weak
        (due to propagation) stations I was trying to QSO via JT9-1 at the time.

        Other Bands and I have been phased-out by both RTTY, WeFax and PSK who,
        at the time, had either incredible High-Power Ant/Amp or a
        Super-Propagation-Event going.

        Bob KD7YZ
      • Larry Meehan (WA8EJH)
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2012
          Greetings all!

          Although it may not sound like it at first, this really is about weak
          signal digital communication.

          I recently returned from visiting some of our country's most amazing
          national parks in Utah. The land is mostly high desert (with deep
          canyons!) and the ground is either rocky or sandy. Off the paths, in
          the sandy areas, the ground looks like just a layer of crusty sand, with
          nothing going on except the occasional cactus or scrubby green thing.
          In short, it looks inert or dead.

          However in some parks there are signs posted warning people not to walk
          off the rocky surfaces or the designated paths onto the sand since,
          despite its appearance, this sandy area is full of life and the system
          that supports the life is very delicate. People sometimes tromp across
          the sand anyway either because they don't care, or they see only dead
          sand, or they didn't read the sign. Regardless of the reason, the harm
          is done.

          So, what does this have to do with weak signal work? Think about how
          the small sub-bands we use are viewed by hams who have no familiarity
          with what we're doing. If they don't look very closely, all they see is
          the noise level, similar to seeing that "dead" layer of sand. They have
          no awareness that just at the surface and even beneath the surface there
          is activity. Any of us who has tried to do weak-signal digital work
          during a CW or RTTY contest knows what it is like when a visitor to our
          delicate ecosystem "tromps across the sand".

          As with the park visitors, the owner of the invading signal may not
          care, but most likely simply doesn't see (or hear) anything there. Many
          have simply not "read the sign", meaning they haven't heard or read
          anything about our modes and where we hang out. I suspect most of the
          problem comes from lack of knowledge. I have asked a RTTY station to
          QSY from a jt65 sub-band before and received an immediate "I'm sorry"
          and the person moved. That person really did care.

          The real problem then is that there are too few "signs" posted. Every
          time there is a major contest that takes place in the parts of the bands
          that we use, we get tromped upon. The excitement of the contest takes
          over and people are constantly looking for what appears to be an open
          frequency. Our operation is not part of their awareness.

          I would like to propose that we ask the "park service", the ARRL and
          other organizations that sponsor contests and serve as information
          sources for hams, to post more "signs". In their online and print
          publications, they could regularly list the frequencies commonly used
          for various modes. This would help other hams avoid mistakes and
          increase awareness of, and possibly interest in, what we are doing.
          Additionally, they should put a list of vulnerable sub-bands to avoid in
          the rules for each contest that has the potential to adversely affect
          these sub-bands. There is no reason why this information cannot be
          included and it would help promote harmony and understanding among all
          of us who share the bands.

          I intend to ask the ARRL to do this. I intend to ask the same of other
          major sponsors of contests. It only takes a moment to send a polite
          email with this request. If we all write to them and request this it
          might actually happen!

          It shouldn't be too hard to find contact information for these
          organizations. Just start with the websites that list upcoming
          contests and their sponsors.

          73 and thanks for reading this.
          Larry (WA8EJH)