Computer program for GPS RECEIVER

  • Lance Collister, W7GJ
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2012
      Hi Folks!

      I just bought a tiny little Columbus V800 USB GPS receiver on EBAY to replace my old
      Garmin ETREX battery operated GPS unit. It works great with GPSTime to set my laptop
      computer clock ;-) However, it would be very nice to find a simple Windows program
      that sets the computer clock AND displays the grid locator from the information
      provided from the GPS receiver. That sure would be convenient for people doing WSJT
      operating while grid hopping! Does anybody have any suggestions? I hope there is
      something already out there SOMEWHERE!

      IDEALLY, that would be a GREAT additional feature for WSJT, since all grid hoppers
      using WSJT software have to both set their computer clocks and know where they are.
      Do I need to write my own separate program to do this? :-(

      MNI TNX and VY 73, Lance

      --
      Lance Collister, W7GJ
      (ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ, E6M)

      page (above)!
    • Bruce Brackin
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 31, 2012
        Lance - check NMEATime by Visual GPS. Won't do grids by will give lat and long (do the math - hi). Fairly inexpensive and get a 30 day free trial.

        http://www.visualgps.net/nmeatime/Download/Download.html

        I've used it for years with several "hockey pucks".

        Bruce, N5SIX

        > I just bought a tiny little Columbus V800 USB GPS receiver
        > on EBAY to replace my old
        > Garmin ETREX battery operated GPS unit.  It works great
        > with GPSTime to set my laptop
        > computer clock ;-) However, it would be very nice to find a
        > simple Windows program
        > that sets the computer clock AND displays the grid locator
        > from the information
        > provided from the GPS receiver.  That sure would be
        > convenient for people doing WSJT
        > operating while grid hopping! Does anybody have any
        > suggestions?  I hope there is
        > something already out there SOMEWHERE!
        >
        > IDEALLY, that would be a GREAT additional feature for WSJT,
        > since all grid hoppers
        > using WSJT software have to both set their computer clocks
        > and know where they are.
        > Do I need to write my own separate program to do this?
        > :-(
        >
        > MNI TNX and VY 73, Lance
        >
        > --
        > Lance Collister, W7GJ
        > (ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR,
        > 5W0GJ, E6M)
        > P.O. Box 73
        > Frenchtown, MT   59834-0073
        > USA
        > TEL: (406) 626-5728
        > QTH: DN27ub
        > Windows Messenger: W7GJ@...
        > Skype: lanceW7GJ
        > 2m DXCC #11/6m DXCC #815
        >
        > Interested in 6m EME?  Ask me about subscribing to the
        > Magic Band EME
        > email group, or just fill in the request box at the bottom
        > of my web
        > page (above)!

        > WSJTGroup HomePage http://www.meteorscatter.org/
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links
        >

        >     wsjtgroup-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

      • Lance Collister, W7GJ
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 31, 2012
          TNX Bruce. I am hoping to find a free program that will display the grid locator
          too. I know IZ2BKT is considering adding it to his time correction program. If
          nothing else shows up, I will put it on my "to do" list, but there are many other
          things ahead of it ;-) TNX again and GL! VY 73, Lance