Using jt9-1

  • KD7YZ Bob
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 29, 2012
      Just found the WSJX. So I may be on the wrong place to write.

      I am on 1.838; left the defaults and called CQ @+1500.

      At the end of my minute there was a carrier which made me think of WSPR,
      on +1200 ... when it finished, my JT9 decoded, or displayed

      0801 10 -5 0.1 1194.61 0.00 000AAA 000AAA RA90 :

      0811 10 -4 0.2 1194.96 0.00 000AAA 000AAA RA90

      later on the tone came on, seemed to go for two minutes, and the decode
      was the same other than time

      RA90 isn't a call sign so I guess this is just JT9 rendering of whatever
      the WSPR station was doing. It was not PSK31 however.

      --
      Bob KD7YZ
    • KD7YZ Bob
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 29, 2012
        Also, when I load the 00000 sync wav, and have my two jt9 windows the
        same as the example, I get no decode. I do see the trace is exact with
        the two minor peaks around 1500 ... and the light vertical WF type
        coloring is the same near 1500. Just no decode. I imagine this means I
        have incorrect settings.

        Bob KD7YZ
      • Jim and Hannelore Fisher
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 29, 2012
          Hi Bob--

          I've been following WSJX on the RSGB Low-Band reflector. Experimentation is ongoing in EU on 136KHz (window) as well as a couple of 600M/630M frequencies. K1JT has visited that reflector several times and says updates and bug fixes are ongoing and a number of additional needed changes have been identified. People on that reflector are reporting different experiences--apparently depending on computer specifics or maybe setup. Everytime I try WSJX out I also check the WSJT download site to make sure I have the latest version.

          One thing I noticed was that some of people who have tried -1 and -2 seemed to be having better luck making JT9-2 work than JT9-1 at the moment.

          My adventure this afternoon is trying to get the PTT working properly. Com7 drives my RIGBlaster for WSJT9.3, as it did for 9.02 and other purposes. Can select it on JT9 but it doesn't shut off after 2 min (on JT9-2). Will continue to play with settings etc.; have an on-air sked in a few minutes to assess functionality.

          Seems to be an extremely promising development for its intended purposes. Love those sensitivity figures!

          73,

          Jim, VE1JF
        • Larry Meehan (WA8EJH)
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 1, 2012
            Hi everyone!

            I am interested in experimenting with the new modes available in wsjtx.
            Most of the current work seems to be on the LF and VLF frequencies. I'm
            not ready to put up a VLF antenna yet, so I'd like to find out if there
            is any activity on 160m or if there are people who would like to create
            some activity there.

            Is there any consensus about frequencies? It seems to me that the
            narrow-band modes offered in wsjtx are more similar to wspr and qrss
            than they are to jt65. Is there some way to fit wsjtx operation in near
            the wspr frequencies? Maybe just below the wspr frequencies would be
            good since wspr seems to be relative to 1500 Hz above dial frequency and
            wsjtx seems to be relative to 1000 Hz above dial frequency.

            Any and all discussion is welcome and I'm ready to do monitoring,
            beaconing, and/or QSOs.

            73,
            Larry, WA8EJH
          • KD7YZ Bob
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 2, 2012
              On Thursday (WA8EJH) sent, on a straight key:

              > Hi everyone!

              > I am interested in experimenting with the new modes available in wsjtx.
              >......... so I'd like to find out if there
              > is any activity on 160m

              There are a handful of Ops, globally it seems, who have been
              quasi-coordinating testing of WSJT-X amongst themselves. The following
              few links will take you to the most likely Places on which we see if
              anyone might be able to listen for, or reply to the JT9-x modes.

              HamSpots Chat: http://hamspots.net/wsjt/

              K3UK Skeds Chat: http://www.obriensweb.com/sked/index.php?board=digitalradio

              ON4KST Low Band Chat:
              http://www.on4kst.org/chat/index.php
              ........ON4KST you will arrive on Index page; Select Low-Band/VLF

              Ping-Jockey JT65 Terrestrial:
              http://www.chris.org/cgi-bin/jt65talk
              Sometimes you end up on the M/S page. Select Upper-right, JT65A:

              The latter one although higher-volume sometimes, I find quite annoying to
              try and type on. It has the propensity to all-of-a-sudden place your
              cursor/pointer at the bottom of the line-by-line display of incremental
              messages.

              I, for one, am unable to stare at a monitor and also type on keyboard.
              Also it's possible to hit the backspace key and have your last Post
              entered into the Add-comments text-box as well as to resend that.

              There is a lot of activity actually ON the WSJT/JT65 frequencies. There
              is likewise a LOT of coordination going on nearly 24 hours a day and
              somebody to aim a CQ at. Most enjoyable indeed!

              > Is there any consensus about frequencies?

              That is going to be a good one for argument. Any settling on one is well
              above my Clearance-Level.

              On 160m last night, I was crashed upon by some JT65hf users thus
              rendering the entire spectrum I saw totally useless to some very weak
              (due to propagation) stations I was trying to QSO via JT9-1 at the time.

              Other Bands and I have been phased-out by both RTTY, WeFax and PSK who,
              at the time, had either incredible High-Power Ant/Amp or a
              Super-Propagation-Event going.

              Bob KD7YZ
            • Larry Meehan (WA8EJH)
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 2, 2012
                Greetings all!

                Although it may not sound like it at first, this really is about weak
                signal digital communication.

                I recently returned from visiting some of our country's most amazing
                national parks in Utah. The land is mostly high desert (with deep
                canyons!) and the ground is either rocky or sandy. Off the paths, in
                the sandy areas, the ground looks like just a layer of crusty sand, with
                nothing going on except the occasional cactus or scrubby green thing.
                In short, it looks inert or dead.

                However in some parks there are signs posted warning people not to walk
                off the rocky surfaces or the designated paths onto the sand since,
                despite its appearance, this sandy area is full of life and the system
                that supports the life is very delicate. People sometimes tromp across
                the sand anyway either because they don't care, or they see only dead
                sand, or they didn't read the sign. Regardless of the reason, the harm
                is done.

                So, what does this have to do with weak signal work? Think about how
                the small sub-bands we use are viewed by hams who have no familiarity
                with what we're doing. If they don't look very closely, all they see is
                the noise level, similar to seeing that "dead" layer of sand. They have
                no awareness that just at the surface and even beneath the surface there
                is activity. Any of us who has tried to do weak-signal digital work
                during a CW or RTTY contest knows what it is like when a visitor to our
                delicate ecosystem "tromps across the sand".

                As with the park visitors, the owner of the invading signal may not
                care, but most likely simply doesn't see (or hear) anything there. Many
                have simply not "read the sign", meaning they haven't heard or read
                anything about our modes and where we hang out. I suspect most of the
                problem comes from lack of knowledge. I have asked a RTTY station to
                QSY from a jt65 sub-band before and received an immediate "I'm sorry"
                and the person moved. That person really did care.

                The real problem then is that there are too few "signs" posted. Every
                time there is a major contest that takes place in the parts of the bands
                that we use, we get tromped upon. The excitement of the contest takes
                over and people are constantly looking for what appears to be an open
                frequency. Our operation is not part of their awareness.

                I would like to propose that we ask the "park service", the ARRL and
                other organizations that sponsor contests and serve as information
                sources for hams, to post more "signs". In their online and print
                publications, they could regularly list the frequencies commonly used
                for various modes. This would help other hams avoid mistakes and
                increase awareness of, and possibly interest in, what we are doing.
                Additionally, they should put a list of vulnerable sub-bands to avoid in
                the rules for each contest that has the potential to adversely affect
                these sub-bands. There is no reason why this information cannot be
                included and it would help promote harmony and understanding among all
                of us who share the bands.

                I intend to ask the ARRL to do this. I intend to ask the same of other
                major sponsors of contests. It only takes a moment to send a polite
                email with this request. If we all write to them and request this it
                might actually happen!

                It shouldn't be too hard to find contact information for these
                organizations. Just start with the websites that list upcoming
                contests and their sponsors.

                73 and thanks for reading this.
                Larry (WA8EJH)