Re: [wsjtgroup] FSK441 Reports

  • Arthur Jackson
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 21, 2002
      Hello Rex,
      I hope I am answering your question.
      The lastest version 2.00 also has a manual.
      Joe-W1JT and Andy-K0SM put it together.
      The manual is wsjt200.pdf an Acrobat file.
      It was part of the "upd200.exe" file that is used to
      update to version 2.00

      The reference information concerning the FSK441 text
      output information is on page 12 of the manual.
      Joe and Andy did a excellent job.

      I believe it will answer all your questions.

      73's Art
      KA5DWI

      --- hell92001 <Rex_Moncur@...> wrote:
      > I am looking for a reference as to the meaning of
      > the reports
      > generated by WSJT FSK441 in terms of duration in ms
      > and signal
      > strength in dB please.
      >
      > 73 Rex, VK7MO

      http://games.yahoo.com/
    • Andrew T. Flowers
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 21, 2002
        Rex (and anyone else who wants to know!) :

        The reports that appear in the 'rpt' column are WSJT's suggested report
        based upon the strength and duration of the signal. I have forgotten what
        the exact parameters are, but they are based around the HSCW two-number
        convention.

        Have a look at http://www.qsl.net/w8wn/hscw/papers/hscw-sop.html
        These are the HSCW operating proceedures for *Region 2*, but the report
        system is the same everywhere. This is often called the "length-strength"
        reporting system. WSJT measures the duration of the signal and calculates
        the first number (1-5) based upon that. It then measures peak amplitude of
        the signal and assigns the second number (6-9). Something like <8dB = 6,
        8-15dB = 7, etc...I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but I'm sure Joe can
        tell us.

        I should point out that WSJT will often give a "16" report on a short ping
        that has readable information in it. However, a "1" in the first position
        really means that you received *no* information. This is analogous to a
        "1x1" report on HF SSB which means you cannot copy the other station. Thus
        sending a "16" signal report is pointless. If you piece together callsigns
        out of multiple "16" bursts, then you should send "26" as your report. This
        is a common mistake for newbies.

        I have also found that my receiver's AGC limits the amplitude of the signals
        about about 11dB S/N, which means that WSJT will not give me anything above
        a "27" report (or "37" report if the burst is very long). I do not pay much
        attention to the reports provided by WSJT and I follow my own intuition.

        Andy K0SM

        --On Sunday, April 21, 2002, 5:39 AM +0000 hell92001
        <Rex_Moncur@...> wrote:

        > I am looking for a reference as to the meaning of the reports
        > generated by WSJT FSK441 in terms of duration in ms and signal
        > strength in dB please.
        >
        > 73 Rex, VK7MO

      • Rex Moncur
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 21, 2002
          Hi Andrew Flowers and Arthur Jackson

          Thanks for your replies. I am doing a paper on WSJT for our VK VHF
          conference and I thought someone might ask a question about the reports -
          hence the reason for asking the question.

          I don't get completely consistent results but I think the answer is
          something like:

          0 = 40 ms or less
          1 = 40 ms to 150 ms
          2 = 150 ms to 5 seconds
          and I assume that
          3 = 5 seconds to 15 seconds
          4 = 15 to 60 seconds
          5 = 0ver 60 second

          In terms of the dB scale it seems that:

          6 = up to 10 dB
          7 = 10 dB to 15 dB
          8 = above 15 dB

          I have not got anything above 38 so I make assumptions after that.

          I agree with Andy that large pings tend to be compressed but I think this is
          due to the algorithm in the WSJT rather than Receiver AGC action. In some
          tests I have done with a signal generator and my FT-847 I don't get the
          compression with other programs such as Spectrogam - at least up to 30 dB.

          My suspicion is that WSJT is reporting the peak strength of the ping
          relative to the average signal level in the 30 second period and this causes
          the compression because of the increased average signal on long pings

          However, independent of whether it is the program or the receiver producing
          the compression I think Andy is right to use the suggested signal reports
          only as a guide and to make your reports on the basis of what you hear and
          your intuition.

          In terms of duration I think there is no option but to use your intuition
          (to quote Andrew) for longer pings or measure the length of the ping/burn on
          the green signal strength line as WSJT usually breaks up long pings/burns
          into multiple signals.

          73 Rex, VK7MO