Re: Report on 6M ISCAT-A vs. -B comparisons

  • Jim and Hannelore Fisher
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 9, 2012
      Some additional thoughts on yesterday's report, prompted by several emails and a conversation with VE1SKY:
      o    My personal focus is not on evaluating FSK441 vs. ISCAT. I assume that if M/S pings are all that are going on FSK441 will outperform ISCAT for the distances feasible for M/S. (My impression is that more than one propagation mode was weakly active during these tests.) My 6M goal is DXCC (will complete my 10BDXCC since I just wrapped up my 9th band), and all DXCC entities within M/S reach for me are already worked or are easily worked by other modes. Therefore, having already used JT65A for EME and terrestrial DX and ISCAT-B to work EU, I am seeking to get a feel for how -A and -B perform under different circumstances and be ready for further studies and hopefully a bunch of new countries in EU, AF and maybe AS during the next transatlantic Es season.
      o    VE1SKY and I have both been heard via aurora in EU on ISCAT (-B at the time) and I am hopeful -A will be at least as good (perhaps in part due to greater tolerance for Doppler as well as the additional 1dB sensitivity?) and will result in some additional DX possibilities when the moon is down and Es and F2 are quiet. Using some of the near-real-time aurora images on Internet, I expect us to be able to refine our aiming techniques and understanding and use ON4KST 50-70 to alert potential QSO partners in EU when it may be useful to look for us. As a fellow HF contester used to say, you aren't loud if you aren't on.
      o    Others may wish to test FSK441 vs. ISCAT-A and/or B, but I am particularly hopeful that European stations will continue their gradual acceptance of ISCAT as an improvement over JT6M. Perhaps somebody who considers this still an unresolved issue would like to design and conduct a compressed test rapidly alternating JT6M with ISCAT-A and/or -B during transatlantic openings. I take K1JT's word that ISCAT is better than JT6M and am mainly interested in deciding when to use -A or -B or JT65A.

      I am hoping some additional members of our 6M digital community will either replicate or hopefully improve our test. For one thing, I am sure some others with deeper technical understanding can make better use of the complete raw data collected including all.txt data columns other than S/N. I still feel that the compressed alternations and various stations' all.txt records including segment-by-segment S/N figures provided me with a better feel than a series of individual QSOs spread over time.

      73,

      Jim VE1JF