RE: RE: [wsjtgroup] JT65A suggestion

  • Russ K2TXB
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 13, 2012
      Kim, if you listen to the whole qso then you know who is first by what he is sending.  For example if he sends RRR then he was first.  If he sends RO he was second.  Rarely does this get turned around.  If you did not listen to the whole QSO then you don't know who he is anyway so how can you call him?

      Of course there are a few beginners who seem to want to send all of the messages rather than alternating as per the protocol.  If you run into one of those then you must have listened to the whole QSO to know who started.

      > I may be finishing another qso an even if I wasn't it's still uncertain who started the one I'm picking up on.

      In that case you do not know who either station is, so you can't call them anyway.  Then you must wait for one of the stations to call CQ, or call QRZ or CQ yourself.

      73, Russ

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 13, 2012

        Kim,

        If these are terrestrial QSO’s then it’s easy to know who is transmitting what because both calls are always shown. Also on HF single tones are never used. I guess I shouldn’t say never because every now and then some will do it but that’s not even 1% of the time.

        If you are talking EME then that of course is a different story entirely.

        Barry KS7DX

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 13, 2012
          And I was trying to be nice by not posting to the group when you sent to me privately.  Well this is the end.  You are not a friendly ham, especially to someone who is trying to help by explaining things to you.  I will no longer respond to you or to this thread.

          For what it's worth, I probably have more experience on WSJT than anyone here.  I have made thousands of contacts and worked sixty or seventy countries, all states, and all continents on 2 meters via JT65.  I can do the JT65 protocol in my sleep (and have done so :).  So I think I know what I am talking about.  It is time for me to get off this and let someone who has more time attempt to help.  Good luck to them!

          Russ K2TXB

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 13, 2012
            Tim,

            Sorry I miss spelled your name in my last response.

            No one said you were newbie or a lid or if they did I didn't see that nor
            did anyone infer that. I did state that it's easy to know who is who by
            looking at the exchange which has both callsigns in it except of course when
            one station is calling CQ. For example:

            CQ KS7DX DM26
            KS7DX W7OUU DN22
            W7OUU KS7DX -10
            KS7DX W7OUU R-12
            W7OUU KS7DX RRR
            KS7DX W7OUU 73
            W7OUU KS7DX 73

            CQ KS7DX DM26

            What is so difficult to understand about that?

            It looks like KS7DX is calling CQ and then W7OUU answers.
            KS7DX sends him his report and W7OUU acknowledges that and sends his report.
            KS7DX send RRR
            W7OUU sends 73
            And KS7DX sends 73

            Then KS7DX calls CQ again.

            So in your own words "Having a way two distinguish between sender and
            resondent would make the mode easier to use and help prevent unintentional
            interference." Please explain to everyone how you think the mode could be
            made easier to distinguish who is sending and who is responding.

            Maybe I'm missing something but seeing both callsigns and what they are
            sending is all I need to know. So again please explain how you would like
            the mode to be changed to make it easier to use.

            Barry

            Having a way two distinguish between sender and resondent would make the
            mode easier to use and help prevent unintentional interference.

            By the way I'm not a newbie or a lid thank you.
            If an idea is good it shouldn't matter who knows more or who is what. People
            like that ruin good ham sites. People who know everything is one of the
            reasons there are never any new ideas or suggestions. Hemlock, anyone?

            Tim

            --- In wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Barry Garratt" <bgarratt@...> wrote:

            > Kim,
            >

            > If these are terrestrial QSO's then it's easy to know who is transmitting
            > what because both calls are always shown. Also on HF single tones are
            never
            > used. I guess I shouldn't say never because every now and then some will
            do
            > it but that's not even 1% of the time.
            >

            > If you are talking EME then that of course is a different story entirely.
            >

            > Barry KS7DX

            Behalf
            > Of Russ K2TXB
            > Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2012 8:01 AM
            > To: 'ollieoxen27'; wsjtgroup@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: RE: RE: [wsjtgroup] JT65A suggestion
            >

            > Kim, if you listen to the whole qso then you know who is first by what he
            is
            > sending. For example if he sends RRR then he was first. If he sends RO
            he
            > was second. Rarely does this get turned around. If you did not listen to
            > the whole QSO then you don't know who he is anyway so how can you call
            him?

            > Of course there are a few beginners who seem to want to send all of the
            > messages rather than alternating as per the protocol. If you run into one
            > of those then you must have listened to the whole QSO to know who started.
            >

            > > I may be finishing another qso an even if I wasn't it's still uncertain
            > who started the one I'm picking up on.
            >

            > In that case you do not know who either station is, so you can't call them
            > anyway. Then you must wait for one of the stations to call CQ, or call
            QRZ
            > or CQ yourself.
            >

            > 73, Russ
            >

            > _____

          • Facility 406 DM09
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 13, 2012
              : CQ KS7DX DM26
              : KS7DX W7OUU DN22
              : W7OUU KS7DX -10
              : KS7DX W7OUU R-12
              : W7OUU KS7DX RRR
              : KS7DX W7OUU 73
              : W7OUU KS7DX 73

              Makes sense, we use the same format for voice although callsigns are usually
              only said once or twice.

              Kurt