FSK441 Reports

  • hell92001
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 20 10:39 PM
      I am looking for a reference as to the meaning of the reports
      generated by WSJT FSK441 in terms of duration in ms and signal
      strength in dB please.

      73 Rex, VK7MO
    • Arthur Jackson
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 21 7:10 AM
        Hello Rex,
        I hope I am answering your question.
        The lastest version 2.00 also has a manual.
        Joe-W1JT and Andy-K0SM put it together.
        The manual is wsjt200.pdf an Acrobat file.
        It was part of the "upd200.exe" file that is used to
        update to version 2.00

        The reference information concerning the FSK441 text
        output information is on page 12 of the manual.
        Joe and Andy did a excellent job.

        I believe it will answer all your questions.

        73's Art
        KA5DWI

        --- hell92001 <Rex_Moncur@...> wrote:
        > I am looking for a reference as to the meaning of
        > the reports
        > generated by WSJT FSK441 in terms of duration in ms
        > and signal
        > strength in dB please.
        >
        > 73 Rex, VK7MO

        http://games.yahoo.com/
      • Andrew T. Flowers
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 21 10:37 AM
          Rex (and anyone else who wants to know!) :

          The reports that appear in the 'rpt' column are WSJT's suggested report
          based upon the strength and duration of the signal. I have forgotten what
          the exact parameters are, but they are based around the HSCW two-number
          convention.

          Have a look at http://www.qsl.net/w8wn/hscw/papers/hscw-sop.html
          These are the HSCW operating proceedures for *Region 2*, but the report
          system is the same everywhere. This is often called the "length-strength"
          reporting system. WSJT measures the duration of the signal and calculates
          the first number (1-5) based upon that. It then measures peak amplitude of
          the signal and assigns the second number (6-9). Something like <8dB = 6,
          8-15dB = 7, etc...I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but I'm sure Joe can
          tell us.

          I should point out that WSJT will often give a "16" report on a short ping
          that has readable information in it. However, a "1" in the first position
          really means that you received *no* information. This is analogous to a
          "1x1" report on HF SSB which means you cannot copy the other station. Thus
          sending a "16" signal report is pointless. If you piece together callsigns
          out of multiple "16" bursts, then you should send "26" as your report. This
          is a common mistake for newbies.

          I have also found that my receiver's AGC limits the amplitude of the signals
          about about 11dB S/N, which means that WSJT will not give me anything above
          a "27" report (or "37" report if the burst is very long). I do not pay much
          attention to the reports provided by WSJT and I follow my own intuition.

          Andy K0SM

          --On Sunday, April 21, 2002, 5:39 AM +0000 hell92001
          <Rex_Moncur@...> wrote:

          > I am looking for a reference as to the meaning of the reports
          > generated by WSJT FSK441 in terms of duration in ms and signal
          > strength in dB please.
          >
          > 73 Rex, VK7MO

        • Rex Moncur
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 21 3:11 PM
            Hi Andrew Flowers and Arthur Jackson

            Thanks for your replies. I am doing a paper on WSJT for our VK VHF
            conference and I thought someone might ask a question about the reports -
            hence the reason for asking the question.

            I don't get completely consistent results but I think the answer is
            something like:

            0 = 40 ms or less
            1 = 40 ms to 150 ms
            2 = 150 ms to 5 seconds
            and I assume that
            3 = 5 seconds to 15 seconds
            4 = 15 to 60 seconds
            5 = 0ver 60 second

            In terms of the dB scale it seems that:

            6 = up to 10 dB
            7 = 10 dB to 15 dB
            8 = above 15 dB

            I have not got anything above 38 so I make assumptions after that.

            I agree with Andy that large pings tend to be compressed but I think this is
            due to the algorithm in the WSJT rather than Receiver AGC action. In some
            tests I have done with a signal generator and my FT-847 I don't get the
            compression with other programs such as Spectrogam - at least up to 30 dB.

            My suspicion is that WSJT is reporting the peak strength of the ping
            relative to the average signal level in the 30 second period and this causes
            the compression because of the increased average signal on long pings

            However, independent of whether it is the program or the receiver producing
            the compression I think Andy is right to use the suggested signal reports
            only as a guide and to make your reports on the basis of what you hear and
            your intuition.

            In terms of duration I think there is no option but to use your intuition
            (to quote Andrew) for longer pings or measure the length of the ping/burn on
            the green signal strength line as WSJT usually breaks up long pings/burns
            into multiple signals.

            73 Rex, VK7MO