Has anyone written a WSPR decoder for a non-PC?

  • ltj_designs
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 4, 2012
      Is WSPR decoding too intensive for low power processors? Does it require floating point? Has anyone written a decoder for a micro, DSP or FPGA? I am just wonder how difficult it would be to make a low-power receiver/decoder. I guess an embedded Linux solution is possible.

      Thanks.
      Andy WA3LTJ
    • Kristoff Bonne
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 5, 2012
        Hi Andy,

        On 04-09-12 22:29, ltj_designs wrote:

        Is WSPR decoding too intensive for low power processors? Does it require floating point? Has anyone written a decoder for a micro, DSP or FPGA? I am just wonder how difficult it would be to make a low-power receiver/decoder. I guess an embedded Linux solution is possible.

        Yes, that is possible.
        I have WSPR running on a pandaboard and on a raspberry pi.

        it does require a FPU; so non-FPU ARM systems are out of the question.

        Thanks.
        Andy WA3LTJ

        73
        kristoff - ON1ARF
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 5, 2012
          Hi Andy, Kristoff, and all,

          >> Is WSPR decoding too intensive for low power processors? Does it
          >> require floating point? Has anyone written a decoder for a micro, DSP
          >> or FPGA? I am just wonder how difficult it would be to make a
          >> low-power receiver/decoder. I guess an embedded Linux solution is
          >> possible.
          >>
          > Yes, that is possible.
          > I have WSPR running on a pandaboard and on a raspberry pi.
          >
          > it does require a FPU; so non-FPU ARM systems are out of the question.

          Kristoff answered a rather different question from the one that was asked.

          Can the existing source code for WSPR (e.g., taken from the SVN
          repository) be compiled for a system without floating-point support?

          NO.

          Could a decoder for the WSPR protocol be written for a processor that
          has only only fixed-point arithmetic?

          YES (but it would be a major programming job).