Re: [wsjtgroup] Unable to decode JT65A well

  • Jim Brown
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 3, 2012
      If you're only using JT65A, W6CQZ's JT65-HF software is much easier to
      use than WSJT and provides a multi-decoder. You must, of course, pay the
      same careful attention the clock, sound card timing, and setting audio
      levels between the radio and the computer. The only thing that JT65-HF
      lacks is the "deep search" function that compares the received signal to
      a database of callsigns and expected exchanges to copy signals about 2dB
      deeper into the noise.

      It has also been my experience that digital modes benefit GREATLY from a
      decent (but not expensive) USB sound card. The Tascam US122 is a
      particularly good buy.

      73, Jim K9YC

      On 9/2/2012 10:54 PM, Lance Collister, W7GJ wrote:
      > Hello Oliver,
      >
      > Here is my set up checklist for new JT65A users:
      >
      > http://www.bigskyspaces.com/w7gj/JT65.pdf
      >
      > Make sure to enter the sound card correction factors too! GL and VY 73, Lance
      >

      > On 9/3/2012 3:29 AM, ollieoxen27 wrote:
      >> When JT65A first became available several years ago I used it with great success. Then I went on to other modes and stopped using it. I came back to it about a year ago but for the life of me I haven't been able to get it to function so I guess it is time to ask for help.
      >>
      >> I cannot get the program to decode any more than about 5% of transmissions making qsos impossible. I set gain to 0db, use an xp computer with 2.0 gig processor, and an FT-897D transceiver. I have tried strong signals, weak signals and in between. The program just does not want to copy JT65A signals though it does decode a very few which makes this very peculier. I have tried different settings and went through the bozo guide several times with no success.
      >>
      >> Any suggestions or assistance as to why this is happening is much appreciated.
      >>
      >> Oliver

      >> WSJTGroup HomePage http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/
      >>

      >> Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Eric B Norris
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 3, 2012
        Ollie,

        I had the same problem when going to a new old computer. Old puter correction was .9788, which in fact did not work. I followed Jim K9YCs advice and put a Tascam US 122 mkII usb soundcard on it and voila! One caveat--use the latest driver AND firmware from the Tascam site. Mine would not work without them. A plus on this card are nice big knobs for adjusting gain. I think my correction now is. 9998, which is pretty damn good for a $70 card.

        73

        Eric WD6DBM

        iPhone Free since 2/12 and Never Going Back