Unable to decode JT65A well

  • ollieoxen27
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 2, 2012
      When JT65A first became available several years ago I used it with great success. Then I went on to other modes and stopped using it. I came back to it about a year ago but for the life of me I haven't been able to get it to function so I guess it is time to ask for help.

      I cannot get the program to decode any more than about 5% of transmissions making qsos impossible. I set gain to 0db, use an xp computer with 2.0 gig processor, and an FT-897D transceiver. I have tried strong signals, weak signals and in between. The program just does not want to copy JT65A signals though it does decode a very few which makes this very peculier. I have tried different settings and went through the bozo guide several times with no success.

      Any suggestions or assistance as to why this is happening is much appreciated.

      Oliver
    • John - kc2rxs
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2, 2012
        Hi Oliver,

        #1 Make sure your clock is correct, to the second. I use Dimension 4 to do that.

        #2 Make sure you don't have any audio processing taking place, in the radio or computer. The audio
        should be flat, no bass or treble boost.

        Good luck, John - kc2rxs

        On 9/2/2012 11:29 PM, ollieoxen27 wrote:

        When JT65A first became available several years ago I used it with great success. Then I went on to other modes and stopped using it. I came back to it about a year ago but for the life of me I haven't been able to get it to function so I guess it is time to ask for help.

        I cannot get the program to decode any more than about 5% of transmissions making qsos impossible. I set gain to 0db, use an xp computer with 2.0 gig processor, and an FT-897D transceiver. I have tried strong signals, weak signals and in between. The program just does not want to copy JT65A signals though it does decode a very few which makes this very peculier. I have tried different settings and went through the bozo guide several times with no success.

        Any suggestions or assistance as to why this is happening is much appreciated.

        Oliver

      • Lance Collister, W7GJ
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 2, 2012
          Hello Oliver,

          Here is my set up checklist for new JT65A users:

          http://www.bigskyspaces.com/w7gj/JT65.pdf

          Make sure to enter the sound card correction factors too! GL and VY 73, Lance

          On 9/3/2012 3:29 AM, ollieoxen27 wrote:
          > When JT65A first became available several years ago I used it with great success. Then I went on to other modes and stopped using it. I came back to it about a year ago but for the life of me I haven't been able to get it to function so I guess it is time to ask for help.
          >
          > I cannot get the program to decode any more than about 5% of transmissions making qsos impossible. I set gain to 0db, use an xp computer with 2.0 gig processor, and an FT-897D transceiver. I have tried strong signals, weak signals and in between. The program just does not want to copy JT65A signals though it does decode a very few which makes this very peculier. I have tried different settings and went through the bozo guide several times with no success.
          >
          > Any suggestions or assistance as to why this is happening is much appreciated.
          >
          > Oliver

          > WSJTGroup HomePage http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/

          Lance Collister, W7GJ
          (ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ, E6M)
          P.O. Box 73
          Frenchtown, MT 59834-0073
          USA
          TEL: (406) 626-5728
          QTH: DN27ub
          Windows Messenger: W7GJ@...
          Skype: lanceW7GJ
          2m DXCC #11/6m DXCC #815

          page (above)!
        • Jim Brown
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 3, 2012
            If you're only using JT65A, W6CQZ's JT65-HF software is much easier to
            use than WSJT and provides a multi-decoder. You must, of course, pay the
            same careful attention the clock, sound card timing, and setting audio
            levels between the radio and the computer. The only thing that JT65-HF
            lacks is the "deep search" function that compares the received signal to
            a database of callsigns and expected exchanges to copy signals about 2dB
            deeper into the noise.

            It has also been my experience that digital modes benefit GREATLY from a
            decent (but not expensive) USB sound card. The Tascam US122 is a
            particularly good buy.

            73, Jim K9YC

            On 9/2/2012 10:54 PM, Lance Collister, W7GJ wrote:
            > Hello Oliver,
            >
            > Here is my set up checklist for new JT65A users:
            >
            > http://www.bigskyspaces.com/w7gj/JT65.pdf
            >
            > Make sure to enter the sound card correction factors too! GL and VY 73, Lance
            >

            > On 9/3/2012 3:29 AM, ollieoxen27 wrote:
            >> When JT65A first became available several years ago I used it with great success. Then I went on to other modes and stopped using it. I came back to it about a year ago but for the life of me I haven't been able to get it to function so I guess it is time to ask for help.
            >>
            >> I cannot get the program to decode any more than about 5% of transmissions making qsos impossible. I set gain to 0db, use an xp computer with 2.0 gig processor, and an FT-897D transceiver. I have tried strong signals, weak signals and in between. The program just does not want to copy JT65A signals though it does decode a very few which makes this very peculier. I have tried different settings and went through the bozo guide several times with no success.
            >>
            >> Any suggestions or assistance as to why this is happening is much appreciated.
            >>
            >> Oliver

            >> WSJTGroup HomePage http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/
            >>

            >> Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Eric B Norris
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 3, 2012
              Ollie,

              I had the same problem when going to a new old computer. Old puter correction was .9788, which in fact did not work. I followed Jim K9YCs advice and put a Tascam US 122 mkII usb soundcard on it and voila! One caveat--use the latest driver AND firmware from the Tascam site. Mine would not work without them. A plus on this card are nice big knobs for adjusting gain. I think my correction now is. 9998, which is pretty damn good for a $70 card.

              73

              Eric WD6DBM

              iPhone Free since 2/12 and Never Going Back