The CQ WW VHF contest....

  • Marshall-K5QE
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 19, 2012
      Hello everyone....the CQ WW VHF contest is this weekend from 1800Z = 1PM CDST on Sat until 2100Z= 4PM CDST on Sunday afternoon.  This is a 6M and 2M contest only, so you don't have to worry about all the higher bands.  The K5QE contest station will be on the air and looking for that long distance QSO especially on 6M.  Hopefully, we will get some decent Es for this contest.

      During the evening hours when there is no Es, we will operate digital MS on 50.265MHz FSK441.  This contest allows us to post Call, Frequency, and Sequence ONLY to PingJockey whenever we are calling CQ on digital meteor scatter, so there is no need to sit on the calling frequency and call CQ K5QE 265.  We may do some of that for those that are not aware of the new rules.  By MS convention, when we are pointing our antennas N, NE, or E, we will call on First Sequence.  When we are calling NW or W, we will be on second sequence.  Since we CAN post our sequence, this gives you a hint as to where we are looking.  Even so, I often worked people to the NW and W when I was originally calling NE.  I just turned the antenna towards the caller but did NOT change the sequence.

      On 2M, we will operate as much EME as we can, but when the moon is not favorable, we will be looking for 2M MS contacts on 144.142MHz and we will post that on PingJockey.  This will help everyone know what we are doing.

      Remember, EVERYONE can look at the Internet reflectors and spotting sites.  You can only post there if you are calling CQ on digital MS or digital EME....and then you can only post your Call, Frequency, and Sequence--NOTHING ELSE.

      We are short some operators this year, so we probably will not run throughout the night.  Most probably we will shut down around Midnight and resume about 6AM local time.

      IF you are in range, please look for us on 50.265MHz and 144.142MHz for MS and on 50.133MHz for Es.  Whenever the moon is favorable for us, we will be on 144.142MHz JT65b taking Second Sequence.

      We would love to get you into the logs, so give us a try....

      GL to everyone in the contest....

      73 Marshall K5QE
    • Jim and Hannelore Fisher
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 20, 2012
        You didn't mention 6M EME and maybe you don't have elevation on 6M. I do plan to be on 6M EME during my moonsets for the next few days, mainly looking for new countries in the Americas and Pacific Rim, but would be happy to give you FN74cq if called. We are busy with the final days of a visit by our California daughter and grandtwins, so my time this weekend will be limited but the kids will be going to bed or in bed by then.

        Will be on ON4KST 50-70 EME/CW.

        If there is good Es or MS you will almost certainly work my clubmate Roger, VE1SKY, also FN74.

        73,

        Jim