Re: [wsjtgroup] WSJT on Ipad?

  • Bob Bownes
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 28, 2012
      Notes inline:

      On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 4:55 PM, Jeffrey E. Hundstad <jeffrey@...> wrote:

      Hello Bruce, (and list)

      On 06/28/2012 03:41 PM, Bruce Brackin wrote:
      > My questions are these. As anyone tried to gen a WSJT version for an
      > Ipad? I have to say my last and only Apple experience was using Basic
      > on a IIe box so obviously I'm not well versed (that's a stretch) on
      > their OS. I've seen some run WSJT, or parts of it, on a Mac so it may
      > be possible. Main modes of interest would be FSK441 and ISCAT. JT65
      > would be nice but rarely, if ever, used portable in the truck.

      Never say never, but it would take a pretty herculean effort to port
      this in an effective way to the iPad. It would be more of a rewrite
      than a port would be my guess. There is prob. enough CPU to do it, but
      the author would basically be supporting two programs instead of just a
      portable single program.

      Agreed. It would be a very significant effort.

      > Second question. I would not be wanting a 3G/4G or whatever they are
      <snip>
      > lat/long readout? Grid square display would be a plus but not really
      > needed.

      There are external iPAD GPS devices. You can find devices that connect
      via Bluetooth. But hold onto something before looking at the prices.

      I recall paying <$30 for my bluetooth GPS a few years ago.

      It would be pretty cool. though.