[wsjtgroup] KVASD_95 for ARM linux

  • Kristoff Bonne
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 26, 2012
      Hi,

      Forgot to put the list in cc:
      2nd try. :-)

      73
      Kristoff - ON1ARF

      -------- Original Message --------
      Subject:Re: [wsjtgroup] KVASD_95 for ARM linux
      Date:Tue, 26 Jun 2012 08:26:52 +0200
      From:Kristoff Bonne <kristoff@...>
      To:Joe Taylor <joe@...>

      Hi Joe,

      On 25-06-12 21:48, Joe Taylor wrote:

      Hi Kristoff,

      ON1ARF wrote:

      > I'm currently experimenting with wsjt on a pandaboard running ubuntu/ARM.
      >

      > When enabling "deep decode", I get an error on the console saying
      > "KVASD_95 not found" (quit normal as the libraries provided as i386).
      >
      > Is there any way to provide an ARM version of these applications? I
      > don't know who has the source-code for these, but it would be nice if
      > somebody would cross-compile them for the ARM platform.
      > This application could then run other ARM based systems too (e.g. like
      > the Ras Pi). :-)

      As you probably know, KVASD is a soft-decision decoder for the Reed
      Solomon (63,12) code using six-bit symbols. It uses a petented
      algorithm (see the note at bottom of this WSJT web page
      http://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/devel.html).

      Yes, I was aware of that. (hence the "I don't know who has the source-code" remark) :-)

      There are three options:
      - set up a ARM cross development enviroment on a i386 box
      - set up a ARM emulator on i386
      - Or else, I can provide you with an account on my pandaboard.

      I already run WSPR on the pandaboard withouy any issues.

      In principle there's no reason it could not be compiled for the ARM
      processor. Evidently there is not much demand; I have never before seen
      such a request.

      I have a small project to see what kind of ham-related project you can all run on these kind of boards.

      Two years ago, when I started this, there where only the "plug-computers" (like the sheeva-plug or guruplug), but now we have a whole range of options: high-end high-power boards like the pandaboard and the pandaboard, over the low-power (< 1W) board like the friendlyarm mini2440, boards dedicated for I/O like the beaglebone to "as cheap as possible" Ras Pi.

      The new "Universal Digital Radio" John K9VE is working on is nothing else but an ARM board with a radio wrapped around it.

      I now run WSPR on my pandaboard. The gmskmodem developement I do is on one of the boards I have, including real-time codec2 encoding/decoding on the pandaboard.

      I do not have an ARM-based machine on which to do the
      compile. It's not clear that the Raspberry Pi has enough "horsepower"
      to make it a useful platform for the JT65 mode.

      The ARM1176JZF-S does have a vector FPU and additional DSP core, so I think it mainly depends on the quality of the gcc optimalisation code for this processor.

      But it also depends on what you want to do.

      One thing I think of is -concidering the small size and power of Raspberry Pi- a platform for a JT65 monitoring device. Connect it to a HF receiver somewhere and let it continuesly monitor the JT65 frequencies and upload the spots to the net. It can use up to a whole minute to decode the audio.

      No need for a GUI for that, so less code. Cheaper then a PC, less power-consumpting that a PC and no fans that make noise.

      Kristoff - ON1ARF