Random QSOS

  • jay123
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 5, 2004
      Subject: "random" QSO's

      Hi guys - while I agree with W9FX's proposal on lifting the time restriction on "random" QSO's, I would like to take things a bit further and discuss the "random" requirement on a more basic level.
      For all UHF ARRL awards (VUCC, DXCC, WAS, etc), pre-scheduling a QSO is standard practice. Nothing prevents any pair of stations from using E-mail, land line, letters or any other method of communication to set up a schedule for a QSO. Full credit is given for the QSO if ONE PIECE of previously unknown information is transmitted and acknowledged by both stations and both stations agree that a QSO was accomplished. This single unknown piece of information can be the station's call OR signal report OR grid square OR contest QSO number, etc.
      While the ARRL does prohibit real-time non-radio scheduling DURING actual HF and VHF/UHF contest periods, the WSJT group has no particular obligation to follow that rule; QSO's made during contest periods are still ARRL-valid for VUCC if they meet the simple criteria above. I have found that random QSO's are 10x or more difficult than scheduled ones. I have had several hundred WSJT QSO's and maybe a total of 10 successful randoms. Not worth the trouble to me; If I need the grid or state, I will set up a proper sked mutually convenient to both stations at optimum times for the maximum probability of success. WSJT QSO's take time and dedication enough without making the contacts harder than they have to be; tends to discourage newbies. I have tried to participate in several WSJT random-hours and contests but have had too few QSO's to warrant my regular participation. I would bet there are more than a few more stations out there who feel the same.
      Anyhow, maybe we should re-consider the whole "random" requirement for operating hours and events altogether - go back to a (unknown) signal report or QSO event number exchange and permit any and all scheduling techniques available to maximize success.
      Any QSO's resulting would still fulfill the ARRL criteria for VUCC, DXCC and WAS and encourage more newbie and low-power station participation.
      Thanks for reading this far. CU on the ROX.
      Jay K2OVS
      FN30rx
      Long Island, NY
    • Mike(W5UC) & Kathy(K5MWH) Watson
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 5, 2004
        Good Morning Gang:
        Recognizing that I'm a 100% newbie at the contesting part of WSJT, I must say that Jay nailed it.  I have been at the rig during several of the Saturday Morning Random events, and it's just not worth the effort.  I need to go back and read the rules from the 2003 contest, but if Random QSO's carry significantly more weight that scheduled ones, then I will probably sit it out.

        73
        Mike, W5UC

        At 08:39 AM 3/5/2004 -0500, you wrote:

[...]

        To unsubscribe, send an email to:

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
        Outbound mail checked by Norton Anti-Virus 2003
      • Mike(W5UC) & Kathy(K5MWH) Watson
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 5, 2004
          Can someone please tell me how to get to the 2003 Spring Rules?  All I get is a big page of commercials.
          Age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
          Outbound mail checked by Norton Anti-Virus 2003
        • Brad Pioveson W9FX
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 5, 2004

            Spring 2003 North American Meteor Scatter Rally

            1. PURPOSE: to promote activity using meteor scatter propagation on the amateur VHF/UHF bands.

            2. RALLY PERIOD: starts on Saturday, May 3, at 0000 UTC and ends on Monday, May 12 at 0000 UTC (Friday evening through Sunday evening, North American time.) The dates have been selected to make good use of the annual Eta Acquarids meteor shower. Please take note: this is a morning shower, the radiant being in a good position from about 0500 to 1200 local daylight time. If you operate only in the evening you will get no benefit from the shower! Sporadic meteors will be picking up by May, however, so even in the evening it should be fairly easy to make QSOs.

            3. ENTRY CATEGORIES: Specify Low Power or High Power, Single Band or Multiband, and Assisted or Unassisted operation. Low power means less than 200 Watts output was used at all times. "Assisted" stations may use the internet, email, telephone, or other non-meteor-scatter communication to make schedules or solicit contacts. "Unassisted" stations must make their QSOs by calling CQ, answering a CQ, or tailending on another QSO. There are two exceptions to this rule. It is permissible for a Multiband Unasissted station to move a QSO partner to another band. For example, if you are are working someone on 6 meters you might send "QSY 144.113" instead of "73". In addition, an Unassisted station may make schedules with other stations so long as the schedule is arranged before the Rally has begun and the other station is at least 1300 miles distant (as determined by the six-digit grid locators of the two stations). This rule is to encourage efforts to push the envelope of meteor scatter communication.

            Entrants in the Assisted categories may make any normal use of email, Ping Jockey, or other scheduling aids during the Rally, but of course they may not exchange any significant QSO information by non-meteor-scatter means while a QSO is in progress.

            PLEASE NOTE: "Read only" access of on-line scheduling aids such as
            Ping Jockey is permissible for stations operating in the Unassisted
            categories. However, unassisted stations may not post anything on such
            sites for the duration of the Rally.

            4. EXCHANGE: full callsigns, four-digit grid squares, and final rogers must be exchanged. Any communication by non-meteor-scatter means during a contact invalidates the contact.

            5. MODE: any transmission mode (for example, CW, SSB, HSCW, FSK441,
            JT6M) is permitted. QSOs with the same station count only once per band, regardless of mode. The propagation mode must be meteor scatter.

            6. OPERATING PROCEDURES: QSOs will be much easier to make if everyone adopts conventional procedures. In gerenal, the westernmost station should transmit in the first sequence. On a directly north-south path, the southern station goes first. For scheduled QSOs in FSK441 mode you may find it desirable to use 15 second sequences rather than the conventional 30-second sequences. However, please do not use anything but 30 second sequencing on 50.270 or 144.140, the standard CQ frequencies.

            All participants are encouraged to listen for "tailenders" after completing QSOs, and to listen on the standard HSMS calling frequencies (50.270 and 144.140 MHz) for CQs. The preferred method of calling CQ is the form "CQ U5 W1ABC", "CQ D13 W1ABC", or "CQ 113 W1ABC", indicating that W1ABC will be listening for replies "Up 5 kHz" or "Down 13 kHz" from the CQ frequency, or, in the third example, on 144.113. In each example the subsequent QSO will take place on the reply frequency, NOT the CQ-calling frequency.

            For example: W1ABC in FN42 beams southwest and calls "CQ D10 W1ABC" on 144.140, transmitting in the second half of each minute. W4XYZ replies on 144.130 and thereafter listens 144.130. As soon as W1ABC hears a reply, he QSYs to 144.130 to send "W4XYZ W1ABC FN42", and the two stations complete their QSO on that frequency. When the contact is complete W1ABC can go back to CQing on 144.140, knowing that either a tailender or someone answering the new CQ might call him on 144.130.

            As a further aid to stations operating in the Unassisted category, all participants are encouraged to look for requests to QSY to another band. After receiving RRR from W4XYZ, instead of sending "73" W1ABC might send "QSY 50.265". When W4XYZ receives this request she immediately QSYs and starts calling on 50.265. W1ABC moves over to 6 meters when he hears no further pings on 144.133, and the pair then complete a QSO on 6.

            7. SCORING: each QSO counts 1 point on 50 and 144 MHz, 3 points on 222 MHz, and 10 points on 432 MHz. QSOs originating by any of the permitted methods -- pre-arranged schedule, real-time schedule, calling CQ, tailending, or requesting a QSY to another band, are all scored the same way. Your final score is the sum of all QSO points multiplied by the total number of unique 4-digit grid locators worked, per band. Standard Rover rules apply for Rover stations; Rovers also get credit for each band-grid from which they make a QSO.

            8. REPORTING: Log information must contain the following data: Date and time of QSO, callsign of station worked, frequency, grid square, claimed QSO points, and new grids by band. For example:

            Date UTC Call Band Grid Points Mult
            Dec 14 0103 W1ABC 144 FN42 1 144-1
            Dec 15 1237 N4XYZ 50 EM83 1 50-1
            Dec 15 1252 N4XYZ 222 EM83 3 222-1
            Dec 16 0203 W9JKL 144 EN62 1 144-2

            The following information should be contained on the summary sheet accompanying the log: Callsign used, Grid Locator, Power Category, Assisted of Unassisted, Single or Multi-Band, Name, Address, and Email Address (if available).

            Callsign used: K0ABC
            Grid Locator: EM48
            Power (High or Low): Low Power
            Assisted or Unassisted: Assisted
            Single or Multi-band: Multi-band
            Time Zone: Central

            Name: John Doe
            Address: 1234 Main Street
            My Town, State, Zip

            Email address: k0abc@...

            The summary sheet should include a table of the following form:

            Band QSOs Points Grids
            ---------------------------
            50 1 1 1
            144 2 2 2
            222 1 3 1
            432 0 0 0
            ---------------------------
            Totals: 4 6 4

            Total Score = 6 x 4 = 24

            Logs must be postmarked or email dated no later than June 1, 2003. Email logs should be sent to wa5ufh@...; paper logs should be sent to:

            Louis R. Tipton
            778CR123
            Edna, Texas 77957

            Please, please send in your score! It's very easy to do, and we want to have a good record of the level of activity in the event!

            9. RESULTS will be posted on a pre-announced web site.

            -- 73 from Joe/K1JT, Tip/WA5UFH, and John/N6ENU, for
            the WSJTGROUP, sponsors of this event.

            Brad Pioveson, W9FX
            FX Rotor Works
            www.fxrotorworks.com

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 5, 2004
              Thanks Brad

              Age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
              Outbound mail checked by Norton Anti-Virus 2003
            • Bruce Brackin
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 5, 2004
                Mike - the hot link had an extra period on end of htm - use a cut and
                paste to that point and it ought to fly.

                Bruce, N5SIX
              • Brad Pioveson W9FX
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 5, 2004
                  Oops...the 'reply to the reflector' got me.  Sorry for the bandwidth...

                  73, Brad, W9FX

                • Mike(W5UC) & Kathy(K5MWH) Watson