Re: [wsjtgroup] Sound Card for Windows 7

  • Lance Collister, W7GJ
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 12, 2012
      Hi Joe et al,

      Thanks for all the comments and suggestions!

      After much investigation of the various sound cards to make sure that I could find a
      Windows 7 64 bit driver for it, I finally ordered an Asus Xonar D1 sound card, which
      can be selected to sample at 44.1K/48K/96K or 192KHz @16/24 bit. I decided that
      would give me the greatest flexibility for future use. I can use the 44.1K sample
      rate for WSJT, the 96K for MAP65 or the 192 KHz with my LP-PAN. I still am not sure
      what the suggested sample rate is for WSJT, but I assume that 24 bit will be best.

      For now, I am going to try to get MAP65 going with my SDR-IQ and other Windows 7 64
      bit computer (which has a Delta 44 Sound Card with a seemingly effective Windows 7
      driver). I have not been able to get it to work yet, but I am sure it is just a
      question of getting the software to recognize the correct place where the packets are
      being sent from SDR-RADIO.

      The new computer will be my main computer, and the one that I use now for logging,
      rig control, WSJT, etc. But in the future it will have the capability to run the
      functions from the other "monitor computer". I also currently use an E-Mu 0202 on my
      main computer with my LP-PAN to provide a spectrum display with TRX-Manager (TRX-PAN)
      and apparently there is a Windows 7 64 bit "beta" driver now available for that, so I
      should be able to transfer that over to the new computer.

      Thanks again for your help! VY 73, Lance

      On 6/11/2012 8:13 PM, Joe Taylor wrote:
      > Hi Lance, Barry, Jim and all,
      >
      > K9YC wrote:
      >> Lance -- you didn't say what you want to do with the sound card.
      > Actually, Lance did say what he wanted to do. He wants to run MAP65.
      >
      > MAP65 always wants samples taken at a 96000 kHz rate. A sound card with
      > only 44.1 and 48 kHz sampling (and sub-multiples) doesn't fill the bill.
      >
      > As far as MAP65 is concerned, there's no extra advantage to a sound card
      > with 192 kHz sampling capability.
      >
      > Barry's suggestions (Creative Labs E-MU 0204 external USB, or E-MU 1212m
      > PCI) are good prospects.
      >
      > If you need 4 input channels for a dual polarization system your options
      > are more limited. The M-Audio Delta 44 is a great choice in Win/XP.
      > It's usable in Win7, but even their latest Win7 driver still produces
      > some glitches. (They don't seem to degrade MAP65 sensitivity in any
      > noticeable way, but they bug me nevertheless.) I've heard good things
      > about the Maya 44 PCI and PCIe, the Terratec DMX 6Fire USB, and the EMU
      > 1616 PCIe. The Maya and Terratec units are not easy to find in the US;
      > the Terratec and the EMU 1616 are rather pricey.
      >
      > -- 73, Joe, K1JT

      > WSJTGroup HomePage http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/

      Lance Collister, W7GJ
      (ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ)
      P.O. Box 73
      Frenchtown, MT 59834-0073
      USA
      TEL: (406) 626-5728