Re: [wsjtgroup] Sound Card for Windows 7

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 11, 2012
      Hi Lance, Barry, Jim and all,

      K9YC wrote:
      > Lance -- you didn't say what you want to do with the sound card.

      Actually, Lance did say what he wanted to do. He wants to run MAP65.

      MAP65 always wants samples taken at a 96000 kHz rate. A sound card with
      only 44.1 and 48 kHz sampling (and sub-multiples) doesn't fill the bill.

      As far as MAP65 is concerned, there's no extra advantage to a sound card
      with 192 kHz sampling capability.

      Barry's suggestions (Creative Labs E-MU 0204 external USB, or E-MU 1212m
      PCI) are good prospects.

      If you need 4 input channels for a dual polarization system your options
      are more limited. The M-Audio Delta 44 is a great choice in Win/XP.
      It's usable in Win7, but even their latest Win7 driver still produces
      some glitches. (They don't seem to degrade MAP65 sensitivity in any
      noticeable way, but they bug me nevertheless.) I've heard good things
      about the Maya 44 PCI and PCIe, the Terratec DMX 6Fire USB, and the EMU
      1616 PCIe. The Maya and Terratec units are not easy to find in the US;
      the Terratec and the EMU 1616 are rather pricey.

      -- 73, Joe, K1JT
    • Lance Collister, W7GJ
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 12, 2012
        Hi Joe et al,

        Thanks for all the comments and suggestions!

        After much investigation of the various sound cards to make sure that I could find a
        Windows 7 64 bit driver for it, I finally ordered an Asus Xonar D1 sound card, which
        can be selected to sample at 44.1K/48K/96K or 192KHz @16/24 bit. I decided that
        would give me the greatest flexibility for future use. I can use the 44.1K sample
        rate for WSJT, the 96K for MAP65 or the 192 KHz with my LP-PAN. I still am not sure
        what the suggested sample rate is for WSJT, but I assume that 24 bit will be best.

        For now, I am going to try to get MAP65 going with my SDR-IQ and other Windows 7 64
        bit computer (which has a Delta 44 Sound Card with a seemingly effective Windows 7
        driver). I have not been able to get it to work yet, but I am sure it is just a
        question of getting the software to recognize the correct place where the packets are
        being sent from SDR-RADIO.

        The new computer will be my main computer, and the one that I use now for logging,
        rig control, WSJT, etc. But in the future it will have the capability to run the
        functions from the other "monitor computer". I also currently use an E-Mu 0202 on my
        main computer with my LP-PAN to provide a spectrum display with TRX-Manager (TRX-PAN)
        and apparently there is a Windows 7 64 bit "beta" driver now available for that, so I
        should be able to transfer that over to the new computer.

        Thanks again for your help! VY 73, Lance

        On 6/11/2012 8:13 PM, Joe Taylor wrote:
        > Hi Lance, Barry, Jim and all,
        >
        > K9YC wrote:
        >> Lance -- you didn't say what you want to do with the sound card.
        > Actually, Lance did say what he wanted to do. He wants to run MAP65.
        >
        > MAP65 always wants samples taken at a 96000 kHz rate. A sound card with
        > only 44.1 and 48 kHz sampling (and sub-multiples) doesn't fill the bill.
        >
        > As far as MAP65 is concerned, there's no extra advantage to a sound card
        > with 192 kHz sampling capability.
        >
        > Barry's suggestions (Creative Labs E-MU 0204 external USB, or E-MU 1212m
        > PCI) are good prospects.
        >
        > If you need 4 input channels for a dual polarization system your options
        > are more limited. The M-Audio Delta 44 is a great choice in Win/XP.
        > It's usable in Win7, but even their latest Win7 driver still produces
        > some glitches. (They don't seem to degrade MAP65 sensitivity in any
        > noticeable way, but they bug me nevertheless.) I've heard good things
        > about the Maya 44 PCI and PCIe, the Terratec DMX 6Fire USB, and the EMU
        > 1616 PCIe. The Maya and Terratec units are not easy to find in the US;
        > the Terratec and the EMU 1616 are rather pricey.
        >
        > -- 73, Joe, K1JT

        > WSJTGroup HomePage http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/

        Lance Collister, W7GJ
        (ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ)
        P.O. Box 73
        Frenchtown, MT 59834-0073
        USA
        TEL: (406) 626-5728