Sound Card for Windows 7

  • Lance Collister, W7GJ
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 11, 2012
      Planning to build a new computer here. Does anybody have any recommendations for a
      192 kHz PCI sound card that will run on Windows 7? I just want one that I could use
      for MAP65 - I don't do any gaming or have surround sound or anything here. Or do you
      think I would be happy with one of the many 96 kHz sound cards available these days?

      Thanks for any suggestions! VY 73, Lance

      --
      Lance Collister, W7GJ
      (ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ)

      page (above)!
    • Barry Garratt
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 11, 2012

        Lance,

        If you are running Win 7 64 bit then Creative Labs E-MU 0204 is fine. It’s an external USB by the way. You asked about PCI so the Creative Labs E-MU 1212m PCI is what you want.

        Barry, KS7DX

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 11, 2012
          On 6/11/2012 12:03 PM, Barry Garratt wrote:
          E-MU 1212m PCI is what you want.

          Although the EMU USB sound cards are popular with the LP-Pan crowd, EMU is on my s#&t list of vendors because they do not provide drivers for their older products. That is VERY bad behavior, and I refuse to buy their products for that reason.

          Lance -- you didn't say what you want to do with the sound card. 44.1-48 kHz cards are fine for detecting various digital modes and coupling the encoded signal to the transmitter. I'm quite pleased with the Tascam USB interface that I bought for $70 from B&H in NYC this winter. It's quite flexible, accepting a wide range of signal levels and connection types, including balanced mic level. At $30, the simplest Numark also works fine, but provides only Line level and Phono inputs.  The Phono Input has a lot more sensitivity, but has RIAA EQ, so needs a simple passive network between it and the radio.  Both work REALLY well for decoding RTTY and JT65, regularly yielding decodes with indications of  -24 using JT65-HF (and roughly twice as many decodes as the stock sound card in my Thinkpads.  Both of these units use generic Windoze USB drivers. I'm using XP Pro. AND -- both of these units are free of Pin One Problems!

          73, Jim K9YC
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 11, 2012
            Hi Lance, Barry, Jim and all,

            K9YC wrote:
            > Lance -- you didn't say what you want to do with the sound card.

            Actually, Lance did say what he wanted to do. He wants to run MAP65.

            MAP65 always wants samples taken at a 96000 kHz rate. A sound card with
            only 44.1 and 48 kHz sampling (and sub-multiples) doesn't fill the bill.

            As far as MAP65 is concerned, there's no extra advantage to a sound card
            with 192 kHz sampling capability.

            Barry's suggestions (Creative Labs E-MU 0204 external USB, or E-MU 1212m
            PCI) are good prospects.

            If you need 4 input channels for a dual polarization system your options
            are more limited. The M-Audio Delta 44 is a great choice in Win/XP.
            It's usable in Win7, but even their latest Win7 driver still produces
            some glitches. (They don't seem to degrade MAP65 sensitivity in any
            noticeable way, but they bug me nevertheless.) I've heard good things
            about the Maya 44 PCI and PCIe, the Terratec DMX 6Fire USB, and the EMU
            1616 PCIe. The Maya and Terratec units are not easy to find in the US;
            the Terratec and the EMU 1616 are rather pricey.

            -- 73, Joe, K1JT
          • Lance Collister, W7GJ
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 12, 2012
              Hi Joe et al,

              Thanks for all the comments and suggestions!

              After much investigation of the various sound cards to make sure that I could find a
              Windows 7 64 bit driver for it, I finally ordered an Asus Xonar D1 sound card, which
              can be selected to sample at 44.1K/48K/96K or 192KHz @16/24 bit. I decided that
              would give me the greatest flexibility for future use. I can use the 44.1K sample
              rate for WSJT, the 96K for MAP65 or the 192 KHz with my LP-PAN. I still am not sure
              what the suggested sample rate is for WSJT, but I assume that 24 bit will be best.

              For now, I am going to try to get MAP65 going with my SDR-IQ and other Windows 7 64
              bit computer (which has a Delta 44 Sound Card with a seemingly effective Windows 7
              driver). I have not been able to get it to work yet, but I am sure it is just a
              question of getting the software to recognize the correct place where the packets are
              being sent from SDR-RADIO.

              The new computer will be my main computer, and the one that I use now for logging,
              rig control, WSJT, etc. But in the future it will have the capability to run the
              functions from the other "monitor computer". I also currently use an E-Mu 0202 on my
              main computer with my LP-PAN to provide a spectrum display with TRX-Manager (TRX-PAN)
              and apparently there is a Windows 7 64 bit "beta" driver now available for that, so I
              should be able to transfer that over to the new computer.

              Thanks again for your help! VY 73, Lance