RE: DN15 grid trip

  • Bruce Junkin
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 7, 2012
      Well, it looks like I will head out to DN15 after all. Some have offered to help with the gas for this 700+ mile trip. I will only have a 4 element home brew yagi modeled after the DK7ZB specs (4m, 13’ boom 8.5 dbd gain), and 300w and a 12 element K1FO and 350w on 2M.  I’ll try WSJT early in the am.  Lets pray for a band opening, or meteors. Conditions usually seem to be better on the east side of the Cascade mountains.

      I hope that I can make it to the 6071 foot level in DN15NH on Harl Butte, but won’t know until I get there. I may have to find a location at a lower elevation.  Last year, I attempted to make it to DN04 in June, but was blocked by snow. I returned in July after the snow had melted. The mountain near Portland, Oregon (Mt Hood) is still getting snow at that elevation even this time of year.

      You can track me via APRS (Automatic Packet Reporting System, aka: Automatic Position Reporting System), at www.aprs.fi , or at www.openaprs.com . There is also a Java page at www.nwaprs.com , though the other sites use Google Maps for the mapping info. The Java site is not as graphical as aprs.fi or openaprs. If you go to one of these web sites, in the upper right where is says “Track a Station”, type in KI7JA-9. The –9 (ssid) means that I am message capable, whether or not I have either a screen when I can see messages sent to me, or a voice alert.  I don’t have messaging capability, but one of the tracking sites doesn’t like the –12 which means basically a transmit only reporting system.  I usually have the volume turned down on the 2M FM radio for APRS, although I do monitor 50.125 while driving.  For info about APRS head to www.nwaprs.info . Look for me on the air.

      Bruce, KI7JA