RE: Grid trip to DN15 Cancelled

  • Bruce Junkin
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 7, 2012
      Hello All,
      I had mentioned to some of you that I was going to try to find a spot in DN15 in NE Oregon. I have decided to cancel that trip as gas prices are still at $4.25 or more per gallon, and the location I was going to try is about 350 miles from home. That is at least 700 miles round trip, and with my 4WD Chev Tahoe running heavy because of everything I have to take with me, mileage is only about ~13-15 mpg. There would also have to be gas for the generator. This trip would cost me several hundred dollars just to light up the grid for others.

      Also, the weather is playing a part in this as well. It is supposed to rain all weekend in that area, and camping in a nylon tent in the rain is not my idea of having fun in the contest. Having never been in that area, I would not know what to expect as far as location and, whether or not I would be allowed to camp out there by the Forest Service. I have been chased out before because of weather conditions. So, unfortunately, I have decided to stay home for this contest. Perhaps at a later date I’ll try again for DN15. Sri.
      73
      Bruce, KI7JA