Re: [Moon-Net] Loooong callsigns in WSJT

  • Lance Collister, W7GJ
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2012
      Hi Bernd,

      This in fact is similar to the contact protocol first proposed by K1JT, because it is
      consistent with the strict rigorous historical protocol steps as well as what is
      currently done on the HF bands. The advantage of exchanging full callsigns and
      reports over the course of the QSO is that JT65 could be made more sensitive in this
      way. There really is no reason that BOTH callsigns AND grid AND signal report all
      have to be sent at the same time and decoded at once.

      I know there was an uproar from the old school EME operators when this was first
      proposed, but perhaps they too have come to realize the validity of such an exchange
      for full calls and reports over the course of the contact. I for one would be very
      open to having standard message template options in JT65 to structure the exchange of
      messages in this way in order to increase the sensitivity. And, as you point out,
      this option would also enable contacts to be made when one station has a longer than
      normal callsign! Note that in WSJT9, Joe already does provide this option for ISCAT
      and FSK441!

      I am sure providing for this variability in reduction of message length in the
      structured JT65 mode would be quite involved. However, as I recall, the sensitivity
      varied depending on the length of the message. For example, stations with shorter
      callsigns would actually have even further increased sensitivity when working each
      other. Certainly in situations such as very weak signals with rapid and very deep
      QSB (such as on 6m EME!), adding such capability could be very productive!

      I would like to think we are ready for this now ;-)

      VY 73, Lance

      On 6/2/2012 6:33 AM, DF2ZC wrote:
      > Hello All,
      >
      > why make it that complicated?
      >
      > (1)
      > We all know a JT65 message can only transmit max 13 characters arbitrary
      > text. It is for good reason programmed that way.
      >
      > (2)
      > Whether on HF - or also on VHF in band openings such as Sporadic E etc - not
      > both call signs are transmitted or not should not make a difference to us on
      > EME.
      >
      > (3)
      > Even with loooong call signs there is always a way to use them also in JT65.
      > In the example below all requirements are met:
      >
      > CQ EM2012GDX
      > EM2012 DF2ZC
      > DF2ZC EM2012 OOO
      > EM2012GDXZCRO (or GDX ZC RO)
      > RRR
      > 73
      >
      > There is no uncertainty left, and all data has been transmitted only via
      > radio path.
      >

      > vy 73 Bernd DF2ZC (JO30RN)
      > www.df2zc.de

      > 144 MHz EME NewsLetter:
      > www.df2zc.de/newsletter
      > twitter.com/df2zc
      >
      > 144 MHz DXCC #21
      > 144 MHz WAC
      >
      > Kenwood TS 2000
      > 2 x GU74b by LZ2US
      > 4 x 2M18XXX 21 dBd full elevation

      Lance Collister, W7GJ
      (ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ)
      P.O. Box 73
      Frenchtown, MT 59834-0073
      USA
      TEL: (406) 626-5728