Re: [wsjtgroup] DL88 grid activation - help needed.

  • Marshall-K5QE
    Message 1 of 3 , May 9, 2012
      Hello everyone....it is an Inmarsat BGAN terminal.  They are very expensive, so I am renting one for 2 weeks.  It is the data plan that will eat you up.  They charge by the MB of data passing through the terminal.  Something like $10 per MB!!!

      Our power budget down there is really tight.  I don't want to even try to have another radio.  All these problems are caused because the National Parks have a ridiculous rule against generators in the outback.  There will not be a single other human being within 10-15 miles from our site.....but you know we might disturb someone.....AAAAAaaaaaaRGH!!!

      73 Marshall K5QE

      On 5/9/2012 11:12 AM, Jim Brown wrote:

      On 5/8/2012 7:45 AM, KD7DCR@... wrote:

      This group will be using a marine BEGAN terminal for internet access - you saw these used during the Gulf War by the implanted news types... There is a "per mega byte" charge.

      How about some form of HF link to stations who could fulfill the needed coordination?  It should be possible to establish decent communications with suitably skilled operators and a reasonably well thought out HF antenna system using CW or PSK and a K3 running QRP.

      73, Jim K9YC