DL88 grid activation - help needed.

  • KD7DCR@netscape.com
    Message 1 of 3 , May 8, 2012
      A special greeting to the WSJT Group::

      Greetings:
      As most already know, Marshall's K5N group #1 is going to DL88 in June. Between June 20th afternoon and June 24th Midnight to be exact.
      They will operate from 5 AM until Midnight each full day they are there, CST... their local time.
      This is historically the "highest" active E period - the 3rd week of June. Their intent is to give out this most rare of grids to all that need it and can work them. This is a "Top 5 needed grids" for the FFMA group, and this activation is taking a lot of effort on the group's part.
      There are NO generators allowed there. They can "run a car/truck" for some charging of batteries. They will have a rather large Solar Panel array too... BUT, they are going to be running AMPS...and, the antenna is no slouch eather.
      They intend to start with MS/441 operations each morning, until E's appear - whenever that is. Historically, they are thinking 9 AM +/- until around Noon for the "morning E's" and then very little until later in the afternoon or even evening hours into the darkness. MS/441 will be done anytime the E's die off, i.e, during the early afternoons, etc. There will be a couple of "moonrise" EME attempts, during the last two days, IF there is interest and some sched's. The demand on the batteries doing this max output attempt is going to be an "unkn" factor...the amps will be run full-house, if the power is available.
      We need a few pilot stations (if we call it such) to asist with the posting of some general info to the chat rooms, cross posting actually.. This group will be using a marine BEGAN terminal for internet access - you saw these used during the Gulf War by the implanted news types... There is a "per mega byte" charge.. IF they tried to just "sign-on" and use these chat rooms, their data bill could run $1,000's for those 4-1/2 days of operations. In place of this approach, they have arranged for a private packet network server. We are looking for a few hams to "cross post" to Ping Jockey and ON4KST their messages when trying to make a MS connection (or, EME, for that matter).
      The ability to "sign onto" this private network is available for all to do - it's not hard. But, there will be "some" that don't do so for one reason or another.. These are the stations that the pilot stations will help out with these cross-postings.
      These pilot stations don't need to be on the "air" when doing this...it can be done from any computer you normally use. Our quest is for 1 or 2 such stations in each time zone, if possible. And, our idea is that the 3 basic segments can be divided up each day: Early AM MS, early afternoon MS, and any late night MS...NOTE: no cross posting will be needed when the E's are running - and, multiple "I hear you" reports will only overload the operators in the desert.
      That's the deal... Could anyone interested in providing such coverage for a segment on any of the days (or, more?) please contact me off-reflector at: kd7dcr@... . Thank you.
      Mel Frost DN-35
      Montana

      Netscape.  Just the Net You Need.
    • Jim Brown
      Message 2 of 3 , May 9, 2012
        On 5/8/2012 7:45 AM, KD7DCR@... wrote: This group will be using a marine BEGAN terminal for internet access - you saw these used during the Gulf War by the implanted news types... There is a "per mega byte" charge.

        How about some form of HF link to stations who could fulfill the needed coordination?  It should be possible to establish decent communications with suitably skilled operators and a reasonably well thought out HF antenna system using CW or PSK and a K3 running QRP.

        73, Jim K9YC
      • Marshall-K5QE