Re: [wsjtgroup] Test of the K5N Private Packet Network...

  • AE5B
    Message 1 of 6 , May 5, 2012
      Same here Scott. I just deleted all that other stuff and connected to the K5N
      network. Not sure why all the other rigmarole. It looks like some of the normal
      commands are disabled. I am guessing that a Private Network has commands enabled
      on a custom basis. Good luck to all on getting the grids. I was able to get them
      last year.

      John

      On Sat, 5 May 2012 11:44:46 -0500, you wrote:

      >I'm a little confused why there is a push here to install N1MM (a contest
      >logging package), just to access the cluster. If you are on Windows, just
      >telnet to the cluster, like this:
      >
      >1) Press Start
      >2) Click Run on XP, or on Vista/Win 7 in the empty box that pops up, type
      >this: telnet k5n.ab5k.net 2323
      >3) It will tell you to enter your callsign, so do it.
      >4) Now you can issue normal cluster commands like "SH/DX" or "DX 50215
      >K5N", etc.
      >
      >If you are on Vista/Win7 and telnet does not work, you can enable it using
      >these simple instructions:
      >http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/1793/vista_install_telnet_client/
      >
      >Just another option for those of you that don't want to download and
      >install a bunch of software to use the private cluster. Especially useful
      >if you remember your cluster commands from days gone by. :-)
      >
      >Holes in my theory?
      >
      >- Scott KA9FOX

    • Marshall-K5QE
      Message 2 of 6 , May 5, 2012
        Hello everyone....Below is what I said in my first post.  I still mean that.  Clearly, when we are at DL88, we will not have any idea what client you are using, so use what works for you.

        I want to point out that many(most?) VHFers know very little about the HF packet cluster network.  It exists and it helps HFers find other stations.  That was all I knew until a month or so ago.  I have watched the HF packet network for some time and I have never seen a 2M spot....and only rarely a 6M spot.  I wanted to provide a simple way for people that do not know anything about the packet network system to get on our private packet network while we are in DL88.  The most important thing is KISS.

        N1MM is widely in use by a lot of folks, so for them, they don't have do download and install anything.  Just configure the K5N private packet network and start using it.  We will be using N1MM for logging while we are in DL88, so the Packet Client is there for "free" for us.  It works FB and it is simple to use.  The setup is not hard, but like any software, you do have to get it right.  By testing now, we will let people try the private packet network out and get a bit of a feel for what is going on.  There is no magic here, but we HAD to have something that did not pass huge amounts of data for every post.  NOW, if someone would like to donate about $2000 for our data budget, I will go back and use PingJockey or ON4KST.  Please send your check right along.....

        I hope that I have not "thrown a monkey wrench" into the works here.  I want everyone that is interested to have a chance to test things out....rather than tearing their hair out on the first or second day of operations.  If you can get things to work using some other software, great.  I will see you tonight and Sun.....

        73 Marshall K5QE
        k5qe@...

        On 5/5/2012 11:22 AM, Marshall-K5QE wrote:
        If you know and prefer a different client, that is FB with me, but I can't help you with the setup.
      • Lance Collister, W7GJ
        Message 3 of 6 , May 5, 2012
          Do you have the capability to send a TELNET message? If so, it would be very easy
          for you to post on the ON4KST page:

          telnet://www.on4kst.info:23000

          GL and VY 73, Lance

          --
          Lance Collister, W7GJ
          (ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ)

          page (above)!