Test of the K5N Private Packet Network...

  • Marshall-K5QE
    Message 1 of 6 , May 5, 2012
      Hello to everyone interested in the FFMA and 6M grid chasing in general.  I would like to try a test of the K5N Private Packet Network.  I am suggesting Sat night and Sun night at 9PM CDST(the 5th and 6th of May).  That converts to 0200Z on Sun and Mon(if I got the conversion right--which I often don't).  Below are the instructions needed to use the N1MM packet client.  The N1MM software is free and the packet client works very well.  If you know and prefer a different client, that is FB with me, but I can't help you with the setup.  Please note that the K5N Private Packet Network is K5N.AB5K.NET at port 2323.  It turns out that AB5K.NET at port 2323 also works FB.  You might want to save the instructions below into a file on your computer for future reference.

      I want everyone to know that Terry-AB5K has created this Private Packet Network just for us.  I really do appreciate his work here.  He is one of many that has stepped forward to solve problems that I did not know how to solve.  His expertise is the packet clusters and he knows his stuff.  A big THANKS to Terry.

      See you tonight and tomorrow....73 Marshall K5QE
      P.S.  Please note my email change.  I am now using k5qe@.......please change your address books.  Thanks.

      Instructions forAdding and Using

      the K5N Private Packet Network

      1)Download and Install the N1MM package. Try to run N1MM and you will get a message that you need to download and install the latest update. Follow the link and download the first one at the top of the list.

      2)Download and Install the N1MM Update package. The Basic Station Data window may appear here, see 4).

      3)Start N1MM. At this point you should see the Main Logging Window—the window where you enter a contact.

      4)Click on Config and then on Change your Station Data. The Edit Station Data window appears. Fill in your call, name, and grid square. You can fill in the other blanks if you wish. Click OK.

      5)Click on Config and then on Configure Ports, Mode Control, Audio, Other. In the lower left part of the Configurer window, you will see the Telnet Cluster window. Click on the Edit button to the right of the window. This will bring up the Change Telnet Cluster List. In the row with the tiny pencil on the left, enter K5N for the Display Name and enter K5N.AB5K.NET:2323 for the IP Address or DNS Name. Click on OK. If you don't see an empty row with the tiny pencil on the left, just click on the * on the left, that should make you an empty row to use for the K5N entry.

      6)Click OK at the bottom of the Configurer screen to close it out.

      7)Click on Window. Click on Packet/Telnet and the Telnet Window will appear. Be sure you have the Telnet window selected not the Packet window. In the upper right of the Telnet Window, just to the left of the Close Port button, there is a window with a drop down arrow. Click the drop down arrow, find K5N in the list, move the arrow over the K5N entry and left click. That will chose K5N as your default packet network. This choice will stay put until you change to something else.

      8)The window now instructs you “To connect to Telnet, type your call and press Enter, or press the button with your call on it below.” So enter your call....for instance, I entered K5QE. You will see the welcome screen, which looks like:

      To connect to Telnet, type your call and press enter, or press the button with your call on it below.

      |                                                                                                                       |

      | Welcome to the AB5K AR-Cluster Telnet Server                                           |

      | Located near Holland, Texas                                                                          |

      |                                                                                                                        |

      | Running AR-Cluster Version 6 Software                                                         |

      |                                                                                                                         |

      | This is a special DX Cluster setup for K5N/K5QE 6-Meter DX-Expeditions. |

      | All spots remain local and are not send into the DX Cluster network.            |

      |                                                                                                                         |

      At the login prompt please enter your amateur radio callsign.

      Please enter your call:

      Hello K5QE

      Welcome to the AB5K AR-Cluster node version 6.1.4453

      K5QE de AB5K 26-Apr 2148Z arc6>

      9)The > is the prompt, just like the DOS prompt. We are now ready to start using the cluster for passing information back and forth. The packet cluster is a very disciplined system. You MUST enter the command DX, followed by a frequency, followed by who you are posting, followed by a comment. The comment must be 30 bytes or less. It is the comment that we really care about. The comment will be our “chat”.

      The frequency must be typed all the way out....so 50215 is OK, 50.215 is not. Using 6M for the frequency does not work. Here is an example post:

      You type in the Type: window

      DX 50215 K5N S9+ in EM89 point 50 deg                                                     (THIS IS A GOOD POST)
      DX K5N 50215 S9+ in EM89 point 50 deg                                                     (THIS IS AN ALTERNATE FORM)

      What you will see in the Telnet Window is:

      DX de K5QE: 50215.0 K5N S9+ in EM89 point 50 deg   2200Z                                (YES IT WILL BE BLUE)

      When you enter a post, you will see the post on black on your Telnet screen. IF that post has been accepted, you will see your post repeated in blue(the format will be slightly different, but it will be obvious that it us your post). When you see the blue version, you know that your post has been sent throughout our private network and that everyone currently logged in will see it. In particular, the K5N operator will see it. Whether the K5N operator actually does anything about your post is another matter....HI.

      I suggest that you load and configure the N1MM software and do the configurations necessary. Load the Telnet Window and play around with this for several minutes. Make posts that you think are OK and see if you get the blue repeat of your post. If you do not, then something was wrong. It turns out that you can enter the call sign of the station that you are posting before the frequency.....the system is smart enough to figure that out. Again, if you do NOT get the blue re-post of what you entered, something is wrong. You will have to figure out what you have done wrong.

      This is the system that K5N will be using for “chat”. It is too bad that we cannot use the traditional reflectors, such as PingJockey and the ON4KST pages, but the data overhead for these web based products is just enormous. We are working on a set of “Pilot” stations that can re-post some of our comments to the standard reflectors. If you are familiar with some other packet network client and would prefer to use that, feel free. You are just on your own for instructions.

      It is important that everyone keep the mindless chatter to a bare minimum. If everyone posts a lot of drivel, the K5N operators would be overcome with trivia. DISCIPLINE is the name of the game here. Please do not post anything that does not begin with DX--in other words please do not use any of the advanced features of the packet cluster. If we have a widespread opening where signals are really loud, we will know that and don't need 150 confirming posts. Mostly, we want to be able to send outgoing posts so everyone will know what we are trying to do. Clearly, we will want some incoming information too, just try to keep the posts to information that is timely and useful to the operator(s).

      We will start by asking you to post us if you are hearing us or decoding us. Posting “DX K5N 50215 K7XX Hearing you well” is useless. These days, K7XX could be in Florida.  Say “DX K5N 50215 K7XX S7 in CN87 Bearing 320”.... that tells us what kind of signal we have and WHERE we are being heard. If you send us a bearing, be sure it is the bearing FROM us TO you....your bearing to us is not very useful. Try to pay attention to our instructions and / or announcements. We will try to give you as much information as possible. Thank you for that.

      Good luck to everyone. We are hoping to top the 2000 QSO mark. IF we get good propagation and a bit of luck, we can do that. We do really want to work everyone that needs DL88 for the FFMA.

      73 de K5N Group1

      KB8U-Russ

      KD5IKG-Tim

      N5NU-Jason

      N5YA-Bill

      K5QE-Marshall

    • Scott Neader KA9FOX
      Message 2 of 6 , May 5, 2012
        I'm a little confused why there is a push here to install N1MM (a contest logging package), just to access the cluster.  If you are on Windows, just telnet to the cluster, like this:

        1) Press Start
        2) Click Run on XP, or on Vista/Win 7 in the empty box that pops up, type this:     telnet k5n.ab5k.net 2323
        3) It will tell you to enter your callsign, so do it.
        4) Now you can issue normal cluster commands like "SH/DX" or "DX 50215 K5N", etc.

        If you are on Vista/Win7 and telnet does not work, you can enable it using these simple instructions:

        Just another option for those of you that don't want to download and install a bunch of software to use the private cluster. Especially useful if you remember your cluster commands from days gone by. :-)

        Holes in my theory?

        - Scott KA9FOX

      • Barry Garratt
        Message 3 of 6 , May 5, 2012

          No holes at all Scott. Any Telnet client or browser will work without having to install a contest logging program as well.

          Barry KS7DX

          Message 4 of 6 , May 5, 2012
            Same here Scott. I just deleted all that other stuff and connected to the K5N
            network. Not sure why all the other rigmarole. It looks like some of the normal
            commands are disabled. I am guessing that a Private Network has commands enabled
            on a custom basis. Good luck to all on getting the grids. I was able to get them
            last year.

            John

            On Sat, 5 May 2012 11:44:46 -0500, you wrote:

            >I'm a little confused why there is a push here to install N1MM (a contest
            >logging package), just to access the cluster. If you are on Windows, just
            >telnet to the cluster, like this:
            >
            >1) Press Start
            >2) Click Run on XP, or on Vista/Win 7 in the empty box that pops up, type
            >this: telnet k5n.ab5k.net 2323
            >3) It will tell you to enter your callsign, so do it.
            >4) Now you can issue normal cluster commands like "SH/DX" or "DX 50215
            >K5N", etc.
            >
            >If you are on Vista/Win7 and telnet does not work, you can enable it using
            >these simple instructions:
            >http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/1793/vista_install_telnet_client/
            >
            >Just another option for those of you that don't want to download and
            >install a bunch of software to use the private cluster. Especially useful
            >if you remember your cluster commands from days gone by. :-)
            >
            >Holes in my theory?
            >
            >- Scott KA9FOX

          • Marshall-K5QE
            Message 5 of 6 , May 5, 2012
              Hello everyone....Below is what I said in my first post.  I still mean that.  Clearly, when we are at DL88, we will not have any idea what client you are using, so use what works for you.

              I want to point out that many(most?) VHFers know very little about the HF packet cluster network.  It exists and it helps HFers find other stations.  That was all I knew until a month or so ago.  I have watched the HF packet network for some time and I have never seen a 2M spot....and only rarely a 6M spot.  I wanted to provide a simple way for people that do not know anything about the packet network system to get on our private packet network while we are in DL88.  The most important thing is KISS.

              N1MM is widely in use by a lot of folks, so for them, they don't have do download and install anything.  Just configure the K5N private packet network and start using it.  We will be using N1MM for logging while we are in DL88, so the Packet Client is there for "free" for us.  It works FB and it is simple to use.  The setup is not hard, but like any software, you do have to get it right.  By testing now, we will let people try the private packet network out and get a bit of a feel for what is going on.  There is no magic here, but we HAD to have something that did not pass huge amounts of data for every post.  NOW, if someone would like to donate about $2000 for our data budget, I will go back and use PingJockey or ON4KST.  Please send your check right along.....

              I hope that I have not "thrown a monkey wrench" into the works here.  I want everyone that is interested to have a chance to test things out....rather than tearing their hair out on the first or second day of operations.  If you can get things to work using some other software, great.  I will see you tonight and Sun.....

              73 Marshall K5QE
              k5qe@...

              On 5/5/2012 11:22 AM, Marshall-K5QE wrote:
              If you know and prefer a different client, that is FB with me, but I can't help you with the setup.
            • Lance Collister, W7GJ
              Message 6 of 6 , May 5, 2012
                Do you have the capability to send a TELNET message? If so, it would be very easy
                for you to post on the ON4KST page:

                telnet://www.on4kst.info:23000

                GL and VY 73, Lance

                --
                Lance Collister, W7GJ
                (ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ)

                page (above)!