Re: [wsjtgroup] Linux version - is it processor dependent - want to run it on a Raspberry Pi

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 14, 2012
      Dick --

      G4BBH wrote:
      > I have visions of running wsjt modes, including JT65 and WSPR on a Raspberry Pi as it seems an ideal platform. Although this has Debian Linux I am concerned that it may not run on the arm processor. Does anyone know if it will run on other than i386?
      > Dick G4BBH

      If you mean plug-and-play, just a simple re-compile, the answer is
      probably NO. But making it work it sounds like fun -- and especially
      appropriate for WSPR. Once the Raspberry Pi becomes truly available,
      who knows... ?

      -- 73, Joe, K1JT
    • Jeffrey E. Hundstad
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 14, 2012
        On 04/14/2012 02:22 PM, Joe Taylor wrote:
        > G4BBH wrote:
        >> > I have visions of running wsjt modes, including JT65 and WSPR on a Raspberry Pi as it seems an ideal platform. Although this has Debian Linux I am concerned that it may not run on the arm processor. Does anyone know if it will run on other than i386?
        >> > Dick G4BBH
        > If you mean plug-and-play, just a simple re-compile, the answer is
        > probably NO. But making it work it sounds like fun -- and especially
        > appropriate for WSPR. Once the Raspberry Pi becomes truly available,
        > who knows... ?

        It'll likely be pretty easy, maybe even just a recompile. There is an
        (old) WSJT package already compiled for Debian ARM. The unknown may be
        the sound system available on the Raspberry Pi. If one of the standard
        sound systems is available, and the appears to be likely, it should be a
        snap. My guess is this is a single day project.

        BTW: if you want a preview of REALLY mobile digital modes take a look at
        the cover story on the ARRL publication QST: (Photo:
        http://www.arrl.org/images/view//QST_Page/Covers/May_2012_QST_Cover.jpg)

        They're using an Android phone for PSK31.

        --
        Jeffrey WE0A