Re: [wsjtgroup] Loading a WAV file into WSJT V9.02

  • Bruce Brackin
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 15, 2012
      Pete - I'm not at the PC with the many versions of WSJT I have installed
      nor any of the change logs and notes, but I remember there was a change
      in the WAV file construction when Joe did one of the new version (6 to 7
      or 7 to 9) Someone will remember! When testing 'new' FSK441 vs old vs
      JTMS we found we couldn't play some of the WAV's saved during testing
      between versions.

      Bruce N5SIX
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 15, 2012
        Hi Pete,

        Your file decodes perfectly with WSJT9 here:

        sample 20 -4 -1.2 0 3 * G3LTF DL9KR JO40 1 0

        Could it be that you have entered something other than 1.0 for Setup ==>
        Options ==> Rate In? Your file was presumably generated with the correct
        rate; but perhaps you normally receive with a soundcard that requires
        1.0068, or some such number?

        -- 73, Joe, K1JT

        On 3/15/2012 7:55 PM, el_supremo01 wrote:
        > Hi All,
        > I have written a program (which includes code from 7l1rll) to generate a windows WAV file containing a JT65A transmission. The file has a standard WAV header for signed 16-bit mono, sampled at 11025Hz. The code symbols produced by the program agree with the sample output from the original code by 7l1rll. The audio files I've generated from the program sound to me exactly the same as test files recorded from the output of WSJT. Comparing them on the spectrum display in GoldWave shows that they are changing tones at the same time.
        > BUT, when I load one of my files into WSJT it doesn't decode anything. Maybe not too surprising perhaps, but it now gets weird. If my WAV file is played on the computer and WSJT listens to the audio, it does decode the signal perfectly. I can't get my WIN7 system to copy what is being "sent" by an audio program but I'm working with Doug VE5UF on this and he says that:
        >> That new file will not decode when loaded into WSJT. But if I let it "play"
        >> in the sound editor app, and let WSJT "listen" to it in monitor mode with
        >> the start-of-play beginning at the start of a WSJT minute period, it
        >> decodes perfectly.
        >
        > and he also found that:
        >> I also made a CQ from DL9KR [using WSJT] and it also works when played,
        >> but similarly will not decode when loaded:
        >> 213100 17 -3 -0.6 0 3 * CQ DL9KR JO40 1 0
        >
        > I can't figure out why WSJT9 can decode the various example audio files directly but it can't read the ones I generate and it would appear that it can't even read (some of the?) files that it generates either.
        >
        > Any ideas?
        >
        > I've uploaded one of my files (it's 1MB). It encodes the message "G3LTF DL9KR JO40":
        > http://members.shaw.ca/ve5va/jt65/jt65_sample.wav
        >
        > Thanks
        > Pete VE5VA

        > WSJTGroup HomePage http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Barry Garratt
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 15, 2012

          Decodes okay for me too Pete

          18   -6  0.8    0  3 *      G3LTF DL9KR JO40          1   0

          Barry KS7DX

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 16, 2012
            Hi Pete,

            I think the mystery is solved. Your test file decodes in WSJT9 if and
            only if you have checked "Quick decode" on the Decode ==> JT65 sub-menu.

            Although JT65A has become popular on HF, the JT65 modes were designed
            for EME, where there is a 2.5 s propagation delay. In normal operation
            decoding starts at about t=52 s into the Rx minute, and the decoder
            looks for proper synchronization from about DT = -1 s to +5 s.

            The "Quick decode" option was added with terrestrial use in mind. With
            that option checked, decoding starte at t=48 s and the searched DT range
            is shifted a bit earlier.

            Your test file probably has the signal starting at t=0, right? Anywway,
            the decoder finds it at t=-1.2 s, just outside the acceptable range
            *unless* "Quick decode" is checked.

            -- 73, Joe, K1JT
          • el_supremo01
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 16, 2012
              Thanks very much Joe and all who tried out the file.

              73 de Pete VE5VA
            • Facility 406 DM09
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 26, 2012
                : I've uploaded one of my files (it's 1MB). It encodes the message "G3LTF
                DL9KR JO40":
                : http://members.shaw.ca/ve5va/jt65/jt65_sample.wav

                Sounds like an old radiosonde.

                Kurt