Re: [wsjtgroup] West Mountain Radio products

  • Keith
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1, 2012
      Hi Lance,

      Thanks for the recommendation on the approach. I have so many different things going on that it is likely that I have some type of port and application conflict.

      I am using LP Bridge with HRD and Power SDR with the LP Panadapter and trying to run remote, rotator control, and digital modes with HRD's suite of applications. I just can't seem to get everything to behave without it crapping out(technical jargon aside).

      I also notice that K3 utility and K3 EZ cannot be operated with LP Bridge. I would like to get all these programs working together but have not figured out how to share the ports to make that happen. I am running a i5 4gb 2.2 ghz laptop as my station computer. I am using a really nice USB to multiple (four) serial port adapter for interfacing with my K3, MDS RC1 rotator controller, and the rigblaster. Eventually I will also use this for the steppir controller.

      Every time I run DM780 the waterfall freezes the program. It is very frustrating. I have spent months trying to figure this stuff out. I wish I could just hire someone and pay them to figure this out for me in a day or so. Or bring one of the IT folks on my project home for a day.

      I like the antenna part of the hobby and the RF work but the computer interface part I struggle with even though I am an IT program manager. It seems like I need about three different IT disciplines (networking, application engineering, and security), to figure out how to set this up properly. Definitely a challenge but I am probably over complicating it a bit.

      Thanks again,

      Keith
      AG6AZ

      Sent from my iPhone please excuse typos

    • Bill VanAlstyne W5WVO
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 5, 2012
        Jim,

        As usual, a spot-on summary from Jim. I’m running much the same setup here: K3 directly feeding the input of my homebrew 6m dual 3-500ZG amplifier with vacuum relays in the amp for RF switching, and with all T/R switching controlled by VOX on CW and WSJT modes. I have full QSK on CW. (See note at end with respect to VOX and SSB.)

        Before making a commitment to this design, however, I wanted to make very certain that the Elecraft guys incorporated a path through the RF Delay circuit in ALL modes potentially controllable by VOX. I was assured that they did. :-)

        Having been thus reassured, I went ahead and designed the T/R section of the 6m amp to use vacuum RF-rated relays. I then checked the RF delay on the K3, found that 8 ms was both the lowest it would go and the default setting – so I set it there. With the old amp configuration and its bulky frame T/R relay, it had been necessary to set RF Delay to the max (20 ms.) No more!

        With this configuration, you do lose the first few milliseconds of whatever you are transmitting in whatever mode. But 8 ms isn’t enough of a clip even to be noticed.

        I emailed Wayne Burdick and asked him why he couldn’t provide for faster RF Delay values, as most vacuum relays are rated at 4 ms or less, and are usually even faster than that – and of course if you use PIN diodes, switching is almost instantaneous. He responded with a most convincing argument for leaving it the way it was designed. Unfortunately, I can’t remember his train of thought. But I believe him. :-)

        In addition, because the K3 incorporates its own audio isolation connected to its Line In and Line Out ports, all that is required for digital modes is a couple of cheap Radio Shack jumper cables for the audio between the computer and the K3. Another cheap jumper between the K3’s Key Out port and the amp’s Key In port completes the setup. That’s it! It’s been working perfectly since I built it that way several years ago. Never a complaint from anybody – though I don’t tend to use VOX on SSB. The K3’s VOX is outstanding (the best I’ve ever used), but there’s just something about VOX I don’t like on that mode unless SSB contesting – then it’s potentially useful. Oh well, just me. Love it on QSK CW and for digital modes.

        Bill W5WVO