Re: [wsjtgroup] West Mountain Radio products

  • Keith
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1, 2012
      I have the Rigblaster advantage and have struggled getting it interfaced properly with HRD and my K3 for the combination of digital, remote and rotator control. It has a tendency to freeze and do other funny things like rotator not stopping on desired bearing.

      Does the TRX program work better for Rig control with the Rigblaster advantage versus other tools such as HRD. I am looking for better working options than HRD for the K3.

      Keith
      AG6AZ

      Sent from my iPhone please excuse typos

      On Mar 1, 2012, at 7:09 AM, "Lance Collister, W7GJ" <w7gj@...> wrote:

      The RIGblaster Plug and Play is USB (for use with newer computers without serial
      ports) and with the correct optional connection cable will match to any radio. The
      advantage of the RIGblasters is that - unlike some cheaper interfaces such as Signal
      Link - they DO offer full PTT control via the RTS serial port line. WSJT uses this
      to switch all the relays involved at your station into XMIT mode BEFORE any RF output
      tones are generated. This built in sequencing is a very useful feature and ESSENTIAL
      if you are running an amplifier and don't want to burn up coaxial relays and/or
      amplifiers (especially solid state amps). With an amplifier, it is never good
      practice to operate the station in VOX mode, which is what some cheaper interfaces
      require. GL and VY 73, Lance

      On 3/1/2012 7:17 AM, Jimmy wrote:
      > http://www.westmountainradio.com/content.php?page=rigblaster
      >
      > Does anyone have any experience with the Rigblaster radio interfaces?
      > 1. Rigblaster Pro
      > 2. Rigblaster Advantage
      > 3. Rigblaster Plus II
      >
      > I am new to all this and want to buy an interface that works well with the least setup problems.

      > WSJTGroup HomePage http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/

      Lance Collister, W7GJ
      (ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ)
      P.O. Box 73
      Frenchtown, MT 59834-0073
      USA
      TEL: (406) 626-5728
      QTH: DN27ub
      Windows Messenger: W7GJ@...
      Skype: lanceW7GJ
      2m DXCC #11/6m DXCC #815

      page (above)!

    • Lance Collister, W7GJ
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1, 2012
        Hi Keith,

        I am not sure I understand your setup or your problem. It sounds like maybe you are
        having COM port conflicts between the different programs you are simultaneously
        running on your computer.

        The K3 does not require any type of interface to run digital modes - you just connect
        the stereo audio cables between the rear panel LINE OUT and LINE IN to the computer
        sound card LINE IN and LINE OUT. The select on the K3 menu to let the computer
        control the PTT with the RTS line from the RS232 cable connection.

        Here at home, I do use TRX-Manager for my logging, and for TRX-PAN. However, I use
        one COM port for TRX Manager (the one connected directly to the K3), and use a second
        separate COM port for WSJT that triggers the station sequencer, which in turn finally
        turns on the PTT jack on the rear of the K3. If you don't use a sequencer, you could
        make a little transistor switch from that COM port that will put your K3 into XMIT
        mode via the WSJT programs. I would think you could do the same thing with HRD.

        GL and VY 73, Lance

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 1, 2012
          Hi Lance,

          Thanks for the recommendation on the approach. I have so many different things going on that it is likely that I have some type of port and application conflict.

          I am using LP Bridge with HRD and Power SDR with the LP Panadapter and trying to run remote, rotator control, and digital modes with HRD's suite of applications. I just can't seem to get everything to behave without it crapping out(technical jargon aside).

          I also notice that K3 utility and K3 EZ cannot be operated with LP Bridge. I would like to get all these programs working together but have not figured out how to share the ports to make that happen. I am running a i5 4gb 2.2 ghz laptop as my station computer. I am using a really nice USB to multiple (four) serial port adapter for interfacing with my K3, MDS RC1 rotator controller, and the rigblaster. Eventually I will also use this for the steppir controller.

          Every time I run DM780 the waterfall freezes the program. It is very frustrating. I have spent months trying to figure this stuff out. I wish I could just hire someone and pay them to figure this out for me in a day or so. Or bring one of the IT folks on my project home for a day.

          I like the antenna part of the hobby and the RF work but the computer interface part I struggle with even though I am an IT program manager. It seems like I need about three different IT disciplines (networking, application engineering, and security), to figure out how to set this up properly. Definitely a challenge but I am probably over complicating it a bit.

          Thanks again,

          On Mar 1, 2012, at 10:29 AM, "Lance Collister, W7GJ" <w7gj@...> wrote:

> [...]
          >>> Windows Messenger: W7GJ@... <mailto:W7GJ%40hotmail.com>
          >>> Skype: lanceW7GJ
          >>> 2m DXCC #11/6m DXCC #815
          >>>
          >>> Interested in 6m EME? Ask me about subscribing to the Magic Band EME
          >>> email group, or just fill in the request box at the bottom of my web
          >>> page (above)!
          >>>

          > --
          > Lance Collister, W7GJ
          > (ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ)
          > P.O. Box 73
          > Frenchtown, MT 59834-0073
          > USA
          > TEL: (406) 626-5728
          > QTH: DN27ub
          > Windows Messenger: W7GJ@...
          > Skype: lanceW7GJ
          > 2m DXCC #11/6m DXCC #815
          >
          > Interested in 6m EME? Ask me about subscribing to the Magic Band EME
          > email group, or just fill in the request box at the bottom of my web

        • Andrew O'Brien
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 1, 2012
            I am currently evaluating the Rigblaster Advantage. The company has
            loaned me one in the hopes that they will receive some favorable
            publicity. So, I guess I should declare some possible conflict of
            interest. My findings are that the Advantage is very easy to set up
            now that they have totally re-done their manual. It is one of the
            best manuals I have seen. Written by an experienced digital ham that
            the company hired to improve their customer relations. I find the
            equipment to work well, the soundcard is of good quality. I am told
            by a rival company that the isolation circuitry is not as good as
            other products but I have not noticed this produce any bad results.
            So, for WSJT applications I have found the Advantage to be very good.
            For FSK RTTY there are some drawback since it lacks a second UART,
            this limits availability to do rig control and FSK at the same time.

            Andy
            K3UK

          • Jim Brown
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 1, 2012
              On 3/1/2012 7:09 AM, Lance Collister, W7GJ wrote:
              > This built in sequencing is a very useful feature and ESSENTIAL
              > if you are running an amplifier and don't want to burn up coaxial
              > relays and/or amplifiers (especially solid state amps).

              That depends on the transceiver. The better rigs have a built-in delay,
              typically 8-12 msec, between the time they assert TX to the power amp
              and the time that they begin generating RF. And in the best of those,
              the delay can be adjusted via a menu. This is, for example, true of the
              FT1000MP and its family, and the Elecraft K3. I remember that my TS850s
              had a built-in delay, not adjustable, on the order of 10 msec.

              > With an amplifier, it is never good practice to operate the station
              > in VOX mode, which is what some cheaper interfaces require.

              Again, that depends on the rig, and to some extent, the amp. I've never
              used anything but VOX, driving Ten Tec Titan 425 and Hercules II amps,
              and also the Elecraft KPA500. I use this setup for CW, SSB, RTTY, and
              WSJT modes. In all cases, I've always switched the amp into TX from the
              transceiver's TX control line. There are more than 120,000 Qs in my log
              since 2004 using this setup, and the vacuum relays in my amps typically
              last for 5 years (a lot less when I used full QSK on CW). In a RTTY
              contest a few weeks ago I made 1,600 Qs. Ten Tec amps are designed so
              that they sense the position of the T/R relay, and will not go into
              transmit if the T/R relay has not pulled in, nor will they let the relay
              drop until RF drive is no longer present. The Ten Tec amps I own are all
              30 year old designs. Perhaps I'm spoiled -- I've never used junk amps
              (like the mighty fine junk) or cheap transceivers to drive them.

              I do strongly agree that hot-switching a T/R relay is a recipe for
              disaster, but with decent gear there's nothing wrong with letting VOX
              key the transceiver.

              73, Jim K9YC
            • Bill VanAlstyne W5WVO
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 5, 2012
                Jim,

                As usual, a spot-on summary from Jim. I’m running much the same setup here: K3 directly feeding the input of my homebrew 6m dual 3-500ZG amplifier with vacuum relays in the amp for RF switching, and with all T/R switching controlled by VOX on CW and WSJT modes. I have full QSK on CW. (See note at end with respect to VOX and SSB.)

                Before making a commitment to this design, however, I wanted to make very certain that the Elecraft guys incorporated a path through the RF Delay circuit in ALL modes potentially controllable by VOX. I was assured that they did. :-)

                Having been thus reassured, I went ahead and designed the T/R section of the 6m amp to use vacuum RF-rated relays. I then checked the RF delay on the K3, found that 8 ms was both the lowest it would go and the default setting – so I set it there. With the old amp configuration and its bulky frame T/R relay, it had been necessary to set RF Delay to the max (20 ms.) No more!

                With this configuration, you do lose the first few milliseconds of whatever you are transmitting in whatever mode. But 8 ms isn’t enough of a clip even to be noticed.

                I emailed Wayne Burdick and asked him why he couldn’t provide for faster RF Delay values, as most vacuum relays are rated at 4 ms or less, and are usually even faster than that – and of course if you use PIN diodes, switching is almost instantaneous. He responded with a most convincing argument for leaving it the way it was designed. Unfortunately, I can’t remember his train of thought. But I believe him. :-)

                In addition, because the K3 incorporates its own audio isolation connected to its Line In and Line Out ports, all that is required for digital modes is a couple of cheap Radio Shack jumper cables for the audio between the computer and the K3. Another cheap jumper between the K3’s Key Out port and the amp’s Key In port completes the setup. That’s it! It’s been working perfectly since I built it that way several years ago. Never a complaint from anybody – though I don’t tend to use VOX on SSB. The K3’s VOX is outstanding (the best I’ve ever used), but there’s just something about VOX I don’t like on that mode unless SSB contesting – then it’s potentially useful. Oh well, just me. Love it on QSK CW and for digital modes.

                Bill W5WVO