West Mountain Radio products

  • Jimmy
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 29, 2012
      http://www.westmountainradio.com/content.php?page=rigblaster

      Does anyone have any experience with the Rigblaster radio interfaces?
      1. Rigblaster Pro
      2. Rigblaster Advantage
      3. Rigblaster Plus II

      I am new to all this and want to buy an interface that works well with the least setup problems.
    • Benedikt Sveinsson
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1, 2012

        IMHO – I can recommend Signalink USB. I have used that with a Kenwood TS-570/TS-2000 – but now I have a K3 so I don’t need any interface.

        I tried out Rigblaster PRO – and the only thing it will do is take the DTR pin and key the radio – it does not have a built in soundcard, no usb, and if you are using a laptop you then still need a serial port to key the radio. I have not used any other products from them, but I was very surprised that they did not have a built in USB FTDI chip – rather they supply just a USB dongle that I found out to be low quality.

        Signalink does this in a different way, it comes up as a second soundcard, that you can tie directly to WSJT. It then uses a VOX feature to key the radio. Only thing you must do is to order the correct cable for your radio and a pre-wired header that you insert into the Signalink – then you are good to go. (I would recommend DXEngineering)

        I have used this setup on EME and HF with great success.

        73, Benni TF3CY

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 1, 2012
          The RIGblaster Plug and Play is USB (for use with newer computers without serial
          ports) and with the correct optional connection cable will match to any radio. The
          advantage of the RIGblasters is that - unlike some cheaper interfaces such as Signal
          Link - they DO offer full PTT control via the RTS serial port line. WSJT uses this
          to switch all the relays involved at your station into XMIT mode BEFORE any RF output
          tones are generated. This built in sequencing is a very useful feature and ESSENTIAL
          if you are running an amplifier and don't want to burn up coaxial relays and/or
          amplifiers (especially solid state amps). With an amplifier, it is never good
          practice to operate the station in VOX mode, which is what some cheaper interfaces
          require. GL and VY 73, Lance

          On 3/1/2012 7:17 AM, Jimmy wrote:
          > http://www.westmountainradio.com/content.php?page=rigblaster
          >
          > Does anyone have any experience with the Rigblaster radio interfaces?
          > 1. Rigblaster Pro
          > 2. Rigblaster Advantage
          > 3. Rigblaster Plus II
          >
          > I am new to all this and want to buy an interface that works well with the least setup problems.

          > WSJTGroup HomePage http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/

          Lance Collister, W7GJ
          (ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ)
          P.O. Box 73
          Frenchtown, MT 59834-0073
          USA
          TEL: (406) 626-5728
          QTH: DN27ub
          Windows Messenger: W7GJ@...
          Skype: lanceW7GJ
          2m DXCC #11/6m DXCC #815

          page (above)!
        • Benedikt Sveinsson
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 1, 2012

            Hi Lance and group

            This applies to the Rigblaster Plus-II and you are correct that it is better if you are using a sequencer to control a complex line.

            But, I actually used the Signalink interface with a sequencer – but it was a hack. I intersected the PTT wire from the interface to the rig – that went into the sequencer and took back rig-PTT from the sequencer.

            I would still recommend using a separate soundcard with the blasters, (USB dongle?) so it won’t push system sounds onto the rig – you can actually use your computer to listen to music while doing JT..

            IMHO – I think the Rigblaster is really overpriced interface just to do PTT and audio transformation, as it does not provide a USB soundcard that I would always use anyways. With most newer transmitters, they provide “line-level” audio in/out – so a single transistor and a DB-9 connection is needed to do the PTT ;) So to pay $160 for an interface like that is really wasting money. With the Signalink – you get a separate soundcard, PTT control that will do nearly in all cases except e.g. EME. And you can hack it to work with an sequencer – but that costs $90.

            But to each its own

            73, Benni TF3CY

            On 3/1/2012 7:17 AM, Jimmy wrote:
            > http://www.westmountainradio.com/content.php?page=rigblaster
            >
            > Does anyone have any experience with the Rigblaster radio interfaces?
            > 1. Rigblaster Pro
            > 2. Rigblaster Advantage
            > 3. Rigblaster Plus II
            >
            > I am new to all this and want to buy an interface that works well with the least setup problems.

            > WSJTGroup HomePage http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/

            Lance Collister, W7GJ
            (ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ)
            P.O. Box 73
            Frenchtown, MT 59834-0073
            USA
            TEL: (406) 626-5728
            QTH: DN27ub
            Windows Messenger: W7GJ@...
            Skype: lanceW7GJ
            2m DXCC #11/6m DXCC #815

            page (above)!

          • Jim Brown
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 1, 2012
              On 3/1/2012 7:09 AM, Lance Collister, W7GJ wrote:
              > The advantage of the RIGblasters is that - unlike some cheaper
              > interfaces such as Signal Link - they DO offer full PTT control
              > via the RTS serial port line.

              Every radio I've ever owned has a PTT output on at least one jack, and
              often on more than one jack. All that it takes to use it is a simple
              coaxial cable wired between the PTT pin on the radio and the PTT pin on
              the amp (or other control circuitry). In a few cases where the
              switching logic in the amp is non-standard, it may be necessary to add a
              relay or transistor for isolation. On most radios, the PTT output is on
              one pin of a DIN jack. On Elecraft rigs and most Ten Tec radios it is an
              RCA jack.

              Sources for decent quality, low cost, plugs and jacks are listed in two
              different tutorials on my website.
              http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf and
              http://audiosystemsgroup.com/HamInterfacing.pdf

              73, Jim Brown K9YC
            • Keith
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 1, 2012
                I have the Rigblaster advantage and have struggled getting it interfaced properly with HRD and my K3 for the combination of digital, remote and rotator control. It has a tendency to freeze and do other funny things like rotator not stopping on desired bearing.

                Does the TRX program work better for Rig control with the Rigblaster advantage versus other tools such as HRD. I am looking for better working options than HRD for the K3.

                Keith
                AG6AZ

                Sent from my iPhone please excuse typos

                On 3/1/2012 7:17 AM, Jimmy wrote:
                > http://www.westmountainradio.com/content.php?page=rigblaster
                >
                > Does anyone have any experience with the Rigblaster radio interfaces?
                > 1. Rigblaster Pro
                > 2. Rigblaster Advantage
                > 3. Rigblaster Plus II
                >
                > I am new to all this and want to buy an interface that works well with the least setup problems.

                > WSJTGroup HomePage http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/

                Lance Collister, W7GJ
                (ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ)
                P.O. Box 73
                Frenchtown, MT 59834-0073
                USA
                TEL: (406) 626-5728
                QTH: DN27ub
                Windows Messenger: W7GJ@...
                Skype: lanceW7GJ
                2m DXCC #11/6m DXCC #815

                page (above)!

              • Lance Collister, W7GJ
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 1, 2012
                  Hi Keith,

                  I am not sure I understand your setup or your problem. It sounds like maybe you are
                  having COM port conflicts between the different programs you are simultaneously
                  running on your computer.

                  The K3 does not require any type of interface to run digital modes - you just connect
                  the stereo audio cables between the rear panel LINE OUT and LINE IN to the computer
                  sound card LINE IN and LINE OUT. The select on the K3 menu to let the computer
                  control the PTT with the RTS line from the RS232 cable connection.

                  Here at home, I do use TRX-Manager for my logging, and for TRX-PAN. However, I use
                  one COM port for TRX Manager (the one connected directly to the K3), and use a second
                  separate COM port for WSJT that triggers the station sequencer, which in turn finally
                  turns on the PTT jack on the rear of the K3. If you don't use a sequencer, you could
                  make a little transistor switch from that COM port that will put your K3 into XMIT
                  mode via the WSJT programs. I would think you could do the same thing with HRD.

                  GL and VY 73, Lance

                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 1, 2012
                    Hi Lance,

                    Thanks for the recommendation on the approach. I have so many different things going on that it is likely that I have some type of port and application conflict.

                    I am using LP Bridge with HRD and Power SDR with the LP Panadapter and trying to run remote, rotator control, and digital modes with HRD's suite of applications. I just can't seem to get everything to behave without it crapping out(technical jargon aside).

                    I also notice that K3 utility and K3 EZ cannot be operated with LP Bridge. I would like to get all these programs working together but have not figured out how to share the ports to make that happen. I am running a i5 4gb 2.2 ghz laptop as my station computer. I am using a really nice USB to multiple (four) serial port adapter for interfacing with my K3, MDS RC1 rotator controller, and the rigblaster. Eventually I will also use this for the steppir controller.

                    Every time I run DM780 the waterfall freezes the program. It is very frustrating. I have spent months trying to figure this stuff out. I wish I could just hire someone and pay them to figure this out for me in a day or so. Or bring one of the IT folks on my project home for a day.

                    I like the antenna part of the hobby and the RF work but the computer interface part I struggle with even though I am an IT program manager. It seems like I need about three different IT disciplines (networking, application engineering, and security), to figure out how to set this up properly. Definitely a challenge but I am probably over complicating it a bit.

                    Thanks again,

                    On Mar 1, 2012, at 10:29 AM, "Lance Collister, W7GJ" <w7gj@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    >>> Windows Messenger: W7GJ@... <mailto:W7GJ%40hotmail.com>
                    >>> Skype: lanceW7GJ
                    >>> 2m DXCC #11/6m DXCC #815
                    >>>
                    >>> Interested in 6m EME? Ask me about subscribing to the Magic Band EME
                    >>> email group, or just fill in the request box at the bottom of my web
                    >>> page (above)!
                    >>>

                    > --
                    > Lance Collister, W7GJ
                    > (ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ)
                    > P.O. Box 73
                    > Frenchtown, MT 59834-0073
                    > USA
                    > TEL: (406) 626-5728
                    > QTH: DN27ub
                    > Windows Messenger: W7GJ@...
                    > Skype: lanceW7GJ
                    > 2m DXCC #11/6m DXCC #815
                    >
                    > Interested in 6m EME? Ask me about subscribing to the Magic Band EME
                    > email group, or just fill in the request box at the bottom of my web

                  • Andrew O'Brien
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 1, 2012
                      I am currently evaluating the Rigblaster Advantage. The company has
                      loaned me one in the hopes that they will receive some favorable
                      publicity. So, I guess I should declare some possible conflict of
                      interest. My findings are that the Advantage is very easy to set up
                      now that they have totally re-done their manual. It is one of the
                      best manuals I have seen. Written by an experienced digital ham that
                      the company hired to improve their customer relations. I find the
                      equipment to work well, the soundcard is of good quality. I am told
                      by a rival company that the isolation circuitry is not as good as
                      other products but I have not noticed this produce any bad results.
                      So, for WSJT applications I have found the Advantage to be very good.
                      For FSK RTTY there are some drawback since it lacks a second UART,
                      this limits availability to do rig control and FSK at the same time.

                      Andy
                      K3UK

                    • Jim Brown
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 1, 2012
                        On 3/1/2012 7:09 AM, Lance Collister, W7GJ wrote:
                        > This built in sequencing is a very useful feature and ESSENTIAL
                        > if you are running an amplifier and don't want to burn up coaxial
                        > relays and/or amplifiers (especially solid state amps).

                        That depends on the transceiver. The better rigs have a built-in delay,
                        typically 8-12 msec, between the time they assert TX to the power amp
                        and the time that they begin generating RF. And in the best of those,
                        the delay can be adjusted via a menu. This is, for example, true of the
                        FT1000MP and its family, and the Elecraft K3. I remember that my TS850s
                        had a built-in delay, not adjustable, on the order of 10 msec.

                        > With an amplifier, it is never good practice to operate the station
                        > in VOX mode, which is what some cheaper interfaces require.

                        Again, that depends on the rig, and to some extent, the amp. I've never
                        used anything but VOX, driving Ten Tec Titan 425 and Hercules II amps,
                        and also the Elecraft KPA500. I use this setup for CW, SSB, RTTY, and
                        WSJT modes. In all cases, I've always switched the amp into TX from the
                        transceiver's TX control line. There are more than 120,000 Qs in my log
                        since 2004 using this setup, and the vacuum relays in my amps typically
                        last for 5 years (a lot less when I used full QSK on CW). In a RTTY
                        contest a few weeks ago I made 1,600 Qs. Ten Tec amps are designed so
                        that they sense the position of the T/R relay, and will not go into
                        transmit if the T/R relay has not pulled in, nor will they let the relay
                        drop until RF drive is no longer present. The Ten Tec amps I own are all
                        30 year old designs. Perhaps I'm spoiled -- I've never used junk amps
                        (like the mighty fine junk) or cheap transceivers to drive them.

                        I do strongly agree that hot-switching a T/R relay is a recipe for
                        disaster, but with decent gear there's nothing wrong with letting VOX
                        key the transceiver.

                        73, Jim K9YC
                      • Bill VanAlstyne W5WVO
                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 5, 2012
                          Jim,

                          As usual, a spot-on summary from Jim. I’m running much the same setup here: K3 directly feeding the input of my homebrew 6m dual 3-500ZG amplifier with vacuum relays in the amp for RF switching, and with all T/R switching controlled by VOX on CW and WSJT modes. I have full QSK on CW. (See note at end with respect to VOX and SSB.)

                          Before making a commitment to this design, however, I wanted to make very certain that the Elecraft guys incorporated a path through the RF Delay circuit in ALL modes potentially controllable by VOX. I was assured that they did. :-)

                          Having been thus reassured, I went ahead and designed the T/R section of the 6m amp to use vacuum RF-rated relays. I then checked the RF delay on the K3, found that 8 ms was both the lowest it would go and the default setting – so I set it there. With the old amp configuration and its bulky frame T/R relay, it had been necessary to set RF Delay to the max (20 ms.) No more!

                          With this configuration, you do lose the first few milliseconds of whatever you are transmitting in whatever mode. But 8 ms isn’t enough of a clip even to be noticed.

                          I emailed Wayne Burdick and asked him why he couldn’t provide for faster RF Delay values, as most vacuum relays are rated at 4 ms or less, and are usually even faster than that – and of course if you use PIN diodes, switching is almost instantaneous. He responded with a most convincing argument for leaving it the way it was designed. Unfortunately, I can’t remember his train of thought. But I believe him. :-)

                          In addition, because the K3 incorporates its own audio isolation connected to its Line In and Line Out ports, all that is required for digital modes is a couple of cheap Radio Shack jumper cables for the audio between the computer and the K3. Another cheap jumper between the K3’s Key Out port and the amp’s Key In port completes the setup. That’s it! It’s been working perfectly since I built it that way several years ago. Never a complaint from anybody – though I don’t tend to use VOX on SSB. The K3’s VOX is outstanding (the best I’ve ever used), but there’s just something about VOX I don’t like on that mode unless SSB contesting – then it’s potentially useful. Oh well, just me. Love it on QSK CW and for digital modes.

                          Bill W5WVO